FIFA Rankings - July [R]

WOW! THIS IS REALLY SCREWED-UP! BUT IN OUR FAVOUR!!!

Ok, looking at the CONCACAF situation, Canada is now ranked sixth, just one spot behind Guatamala. The four teams in the World Cup have all dived, so that now Honduras is ahead of Costa Rica for third, and Canada is ahead of T&T (WTF?).

I had a feeling that Canada would benefit from the new system because of the recent friendlies (the 2000 success wasn't counting for much now anyways), but I didn't expect this! Being in the top 70 should get our internationals work permits in Britain. Even more important, it should give Canada easier draws in tournaments - increasing our chances of advancing and improving the team through more games. It should even make it easier to get friendlies. Although it may be over now, maybe, just maybe, we'll get some better

applications for head coach - although I doubt it.

Now what Canada needs to do is spank Jamaica a couple of times (we'll need to - they have slipped to 78th so will be considered the weaker team), and try to get some friendlies with superior teams. The ranking system may be total bulls**t, but it matters in terms of UK work permits, getting top friendlies, and favourable tournament draws, and should therefore be defended and improved upon if possible. The Jamaica series could put us ahead of Guatamala for fifth in CONCACAF, with Costa Rica and Honduras not far off. We can laugh at these standings, but we should still play the FIFA rankings game.

Wow. Frankie quits and Canada moves up 29 spots while MLS dominated US of A drops a dozen.

Verrry interesting.

Nigeria 11th? Huh. This new ranking system should be interesting. Certainly isn't going to be any worse than the old one. Not a chance.

Wow - this is a bit of a surprise! You know what though, in all reality this is the most accurate the rankings have been in respect to Canada in a long long time.

Look at the countries close to us on the new scale:

Iran ... 1-0 for the good guys in Cairo, 2001

Japan ... we played them tough last time we met (Confed 2001)

Guatemala ... eh, let's not revisit the last WCQ campaign

South Korea ... what was it, 2-1 for us in that last Gold Cup match?

Wales ... we played them tough

Austria ... we spanked them 2-0 in Vienna half a year ago

Good stuff FIFA - you may actaully have gotten this one a little more dialed. Let's see how the formula holds up.

I guess we can't complain about the new rankings. I still have a hard time seeing why we're ranked so high now for a period over the last 4 years. Our record is: 9 Wins, 3 Draws, 16 Losses.

The wins were against: Luxembourg, Cuba, North Ireland, Guatemala, Belize X 2, Barbados, Libya, and Costa Rica.

Yeah, odd that two teams (CR + T&T) that qualify for the World Cup (one of which had a good showing) should drop in our CONCACAF rankings.

While I'm happy for our improved standing, I can't seem to figure out what results (in the last 4 years) allowed us to do so.

Is it just me or has Anguilla been dropped from the ranking?

quote:Originally posted by Varsity Tyler

Wow - this is a bit of a surprise! You know what though, in all reality this is the most accurate the rankings have been in respect to Canada in a long long time.

Look at the countries close to us on the new scale:

Japan ... we played them tough last time we met (Confed 2001)

Good stuff FIFA - you may actaully have gotten this one a little more dialed. Let's see how the formula holds up.

Do you mean when we managed not to get scored against in the first half, but then ended up getting smacked 3-0?? You must have the same amnesia as others on the board with whom I argued about this very game...

One thing that is really weird is that I thought that the prelim. reports were saying that meaningless friendlies werent going to count in the ranking so much...why would most of our decent results in the past four years count for much of anything, then, especially as we tanked in most of our "official" matches??

Hell, I'll take it though...I honestly think that part of the reason why we are where we are in general football terms is because of how much our old (somewhat undesreved )ranking killed is in the set-up of the groups for WCQ. This really does give us a great chance to go somewhere if we can maintain the results for the next couple years.

Come to think of it...the asian teams really got snowed in these rankings. I admit that Japan and Korea had heavily inflated rankings. If anything past four years have been wiped from the slate, then I see Korea dropping far, but THAT far?? They proved they could compete in 06, unlike Japan at least...still dumbfounded...

quote:

Do you mean when we managed not to get scored against in the first half, but then ended up getting smacked 3-0?? You must have the same amnesia as others on the board with whom I argued about this very game...

eh it was 5 or so years ago ... gimme a break, lol

I remember Pesch coming close a couple times ... and I think I remember Xausa blowing a chance. Forrest did make saves to keep us in it though - was it Ono that blasted it into his chest from 6 yards?

Last 4 year results (from the CSA website):

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/nationals/m_wc/results.asp?sub=2

3/1/2006 Canada 2, Austria 0 Vienna, Austria

1/22/2006 Canada 0, USA 0 San Diego, CA, USA

11/16/2005 Canada 1, Luxembourg 0 Luxembourg

9/3/2005 Canada 1, Spain 2 Santander, Spain

7/12/2005 Canada 2, Cuba 1 Boston, MA - Gold Cup

7/9/2005 Canada 0, USA 2 Seattle, WA - Gold Cup

7/7/2005 Canada 0, Costa Rica 1 Seattle, WA - Gold Cup

7/2/2005 Canada 1, Honduras 2 Burnaby, BC

3/26/2005 Canada 1, Portugal 4 Barcelos, Portugal

2/9/2005 Canada 1, Northern Ireland 0 Belfast, Northern Ireland

11/17/2004 Canada 1, Guatemala 0 Guatemala City, Guatemala

10/13/2004 Canada 1, Costa Rica 3 Burnaby, BC

10/9/2004 Canada 1, Honduras 1 San Pedro Sula, Honduras

9/8/2004 Canada 0, Costa Rica 1 San Jose, Costa Rica

9/4/2004 Canada 1, Honduras 1 Edmonton, AB

8/18/2004 Canada 0, Guatemala 2 Burnaby, BC

6/16/2004 Canada 4, Belize 0 Kingston, ON - World Cup Qualifying

6/13/2004 Canada 4, Belize 0 Kingston, ON - World Cup Qualifying

5/30/2004 Canada 0, Wales 1 Wrexham, Wales

1/18/2004 Canada 1, Barbados 0 Bridgetown, Barbados

11/18/2003 Canada 0, Rep. of Ireland 3 Dublin, Ireland

11/15/2003 Canada 1, Czech Republic 5 Teplice, Czech Republic

10/11/2003 Canada 2, Finland 3 Tampere, Finland

7/14/2003 Canada 0, Cuba 2 Gold Cup - Foxboro, Massachusetts

7/12/2003 Canada 1, Costa Rica 0 Gold Cup - Foxboro, Massachusetts

6/1/2003 Canada1, Germany 4 Wolfsburg, Germany

3/29/2003 Canada 1, Estonia 2 Tallinn, Estonia

2/12/2003 Canada 4, Libya 2 Tripoli, Libya

1/18/2003 Canada 0, USA 4 Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

10/15/2002 Canada 1, Scotland 3 Edinburgh, Scotland

quote:Originally posted by Varsity Tyler

eh it was 5 or so years ago ... gimme a break, lol

I remember Pesch coming close a couple times ... and I think I remember Xausa blowing a chance. Forrest did make saves to keep us in it though - was it Ono that blasted it into his chest from 6 yards?

no worries...I was here for the game so still remember it somewhat. Yeah, it was Xausa's best game for Canada - he was really dangerous in the first half...and yes, it was Ono's coming out party for Japan.

Yeah, I suppose the new system appears more accurate than the previous one, though I cannot quite fathom South Korea ranking lower than us, and cannot fathom Finland and Wales ranking lower than us--though they shouldn't be too much a head of us, either. We lost to both teams not that long ago, the Finnish game by quite a margin. We may have had a mediocre team for Finland--I cannot recall--but I do remember our losing quite handily.

I think we are top 60, yes.

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

I guess we can't complain about the new rankings. I still have a hard time seeing why we're ranked so high now for a period over the last 4 years. Our record is: 9 Wins, 3 Draws, 16 Losses.

The wins were against: Luxembourg, Cuba, North Ireland, Guatemala, Belize X 2, Barbados, Libya, and Costa Rica.

That record is out of date, as there is also a 2-0 win against Austria in Vienna to consider.

Having said that, result wise this ranking still might be slightly generous.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

We lost to both teams not that long ago, the Finnish game by quite a margin. We may have had a mediocre team for Finland--I cannot recall--but I do remember our losing quite handily.

We lost 3-2.

It was 3-0 at the half.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

We lost 3-2.

It was 3-0 at the half.

That sounds right. I remember being down 3-0 and watching the delayed broadcast on Sportsnet. They were nice enough to show the final result of 3-2 on the ticker at the bottom of the screen, so we knew to keep our eyes open. [:P]

Archived