Your starting 11

puskas

Since Canada has not played a game in ages again and we don't even have a coach, if you were a coach, what 11 would be your starting line-ups and who are your subs if there was a Gold Cup Game or World Cup qualifying game for Canada?

--------Occean Hume

Simpson deGuz Hutch Bernier

Kluk Edgar Haineault Ledgerwood

--------Hirschfeld

or

---Occean Hume

------hutch

---deguz bernier

------edgar

Kluk Haineault Nsaliwa Ledgerwood

------Hirschfeld

again: stalteri, radz, dero, jazic had their chance; and gerba, serioux, grande, reda, imhof just suck.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

--------Occean Hume

Simpson deGuz Hutch Bernier

Kluk Edgar Haineault Ledgerwood

--------Hirschfeld

or

---Occean Hume

------hutch

---deguz bernier

------edgar

Kluk Haineault Nsaliwa Ledgerwood

------Hirschfeld

again: stalteri, radz, dero, jazic had their chance; and gerba, serioux, grande, reda, imhof just suck.

Anyone else find it funny that brennan fan has no jimmy b on the starting 11....

also to keep stally and dero off the team ur insane

lol, symmetry is overrated

--------------Stamatopoulos(GK)------------

Klukowski(LB)---Mckenna(CB)---Stalteri(RB)

----------------Serioux(CDM)--------------Simpson(RWB)

----Hutchinson(CM)------JulianDeGuzman(CM)

---------------DeRosario(CAM)-------------Peters(RWM)

---------?Hume/Lombardo/Johnson/Occean?--------

I couldn't decide on a striker, Hume and Occean are probably a little better then lombardo and johnson right now but I think lombardo and johnson have more potential, so the more the we play em the sooner they'll get better.

I would probably start with Lombardo cause he's a finisher, more likely to score then johnson, but johnson is more creative so I'd just as likely sub johnson for DeRo as Lombardo.

If I went with Hume and Occean I'd probably start with Hume cause he'd keep at full tilt running every ball down and when he slows up I'd sub in Occean.

after that the subs, should they be needed, would go:

David Edgar for Klukowski

Jim Brennan for Simpson who would play more a CDM role then RWB

Bernier for Hutch

Grande for Guzman

Imhof for Serioux

Is there any player who could be considered a sweeper?

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Anyone else find it funny that brennan fan has no jimmy b on the starting 11....

also to keep stally and dero off the team ur insane

JB had his time. he is still useful off the bench though, as is deRo and maybe Mckenna too.

stalteri though, never had much quality to him. he was only a workhorse, and thats not good enough anymore. vets should only be kept around if they are exceptionally skilled in reading the game or in set peices (JB) or can offer the odd flash of brilliance (ddr). an aging stalteri is useless. i'll never forgive him for the first goal we gave up against guatemala at swangard in wcq- supposedly our best player and he was completely at fault. ledgerwood will be WAY better, and his time starts now.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

lol, symmetry is overrated

--------------Stamatopoulos(GK)------------

Klukowski(LB)---Mckenna(CB)---Stalteri(RB)

----------------Serioux(CDM)--------------Simpson(RWB)

----Hutchinson(CM)------JulianDeGuzman(CM)

---------------DeRosario(CAM)-------------Peters(RWM)

---------?Hume/Lombardo/Johnson/Occean?--------

How can you start Kenny in goal when all the reports coming out of Norway say he is making error after error right now?

Well I think we need a friendly to sort some questions out, so with Jamaica in mind . . . .

--------------Sutton--------

Stalteri---McKenna--Klukowski--Brennan

---Hutchinson--Serioux---DeGuzman

-------------DeRosario

---------Hume-----Friend

to start

Finish the game with:

------------------Sutton--------

Ledgerwood----Nsaliwa--Serioux----Klukowski

----Hutchinson---DeGuzman---Simpson

-----------------Bernier

------------Johnson----Occéan

I want to look at Ledgerwood and Nsaliwa. We should try to figure out our backline ASAP and decide who’s our starting target man — so give Friend and Occéan a half each. I’m partial to Sutton and Hirschfeld as 1-2, but you might as well let Kenny S. backup Hirschfeld in Europe.

I think we need to look at Hainault and Edgar and work Peters in (though I’m not sure he’s a starter right now), but I don’t think there’s any reason to rush them. We realistically have until the 07 Gold Cup to tinker and then we should try to give our best a run out at the Gold Cup and then a few more friendlies to look at some options to solidify the group. But I would say we should pretty much know the team and the squad by the fall of 07.

cheers,

matthew

Id just like to state to everyone who forgets.... but well i am a jackass so here we go

Everyone a year or two ago said lars was crap and how he isnt good enough for canada. Now.... everyone loves him

ALSO GOD DAMN IT DONT PUT TAM IN A STARTING SPOT IF YOU HAVNT SEEN HIM IN 5 YEARS!!!!! HE WASNT GOOD ENOUGH TO START BACK THEN AND YOU HAVNT SEEN HIM NOW!!!!

I really liked the way the 4-3-3 was working:

----------- Hirschfeld ----------

- Stalteri - Hutchinson - McKenna - Klukowski -

--- Bernier - De Guzman - De Jong ---

--- Hume - Friend - De Rosario ---

Subs: Sutton, Peters, Occean, Grande, Imhof, Ledgerwood, Johnson

Reports from Scotland and England suggested that Lars wasn't a very good GK 1-2 yrs ago but now after his quick spell with Tromso and now starting at Rosenborg we can assume that he's surely our #1 or at least our #2 due to the fact that reports from Norway indicated that Kenny isn't in top form at the moment.

Agree about what you said about Tam, nobody has seen him play for 4-5 years now, but he's playing at a pretty good level so it would be nice to see him get a chance for a training camp and getting some minutes in a game or two.

BTW, according to ADO den Haag fans, Josh Wagenaar will be their #2 keeper this season so he might be another good option in goal in the near future (maybe after 1 or 2 full season in Europe playing reserve and a few League games). But now, I see Sutton and Lars as our 2 premier option.

Of course, Tam should get a chance.. everyone who is playing at a highlevel should get a chance.

It just bugs me to see "educated" canadian fans put a guy they havnt seen in 5 years on a starting roster for competitive games.

And with lars, it was more or less a chance to shine is all he needed. In england he just never got the chance due to kasey keller and his "i never get injured" thing....

Of course, Tam should get a chance.. everyone who is playing at a highlevel should get a chance.

It just bugs me to see "educated" canadian fans put a guy they havnt seen in 5 years on a starting roster for competitive games.

And with lars, it was more or less a chance to shine is all he needed. In england he just never got the chance due to kasey keller and his "i never get injured" thing....

Lars played at Dundee (or Dundee United, can't recall) in Scotland in 2004 and he had a few starts but they decided to recall one of their keeper loan to a second or third division side because they felt Lars wasn't doing the job. I also remember him being at Leceister for a while.

I think it's more a question of confidence when you get that chance. He didn,t have that confidence in England and it seems like he did have it in Norway. I still don't think he's that good of a keeper from what I saw with the MNT but I look forward to see how he improved during the last 2 years.

Lars played at Dundee (or Dundee United, can't recall) in Scotland in 2004 and he had a few starts but they decided to recall one of their keeper loan to a second or third division side because they felt Lars wasn't doing the job. I also remember him being at Leceister for a while.

I think it's more a question of confidence when you get that chance. He didn,t have that confidence in England and it seems like he did have it in Norway. I still don't think he's that good of a keeper from what I saw with the MNT but I look forward to see how he improved during the last 2 years.

Now.

Hirschfeld

Stalteri - McKenna - Serioux - Klukowski

Bernier - Hutchinson - DeGuzman

DeRosario

Occean - Hume

By the time qualifying for 2010 starts, Edgar, Hainault, Ledgerwood, Peters and Johnson will be seriously challenging for positions. Simpson and Gyaki may also be in the mix. There are always a few who come out of nowhere as well.

Specifically for the Jamaica friendly...

GK Sutton

LB Klukowski

CB Edgar

CB Mckenna

RB Stalteri©

CDM Serioux

LM Hutch

CM Deguz(the elder... although both would help this lineup?)

RM Peters

LF Hume

RF Occean

This was tougher than I thought, but I got some younger guys in there and unfortunately we dont have enough friendlies to dink around, so scratch players like Radz or Jazic. I also ended up with a more defensive looking formation but I just couldn't put Dero on the field... I mean he tries hard, but I can only see him as a sub if we want to be a serious team(although I'm sure a few of you are laughing at my choice of Serioux).

Anyways. Not a bad lineup, but judging by the how many differences there are in everyones lineup it is evident we need to clarify our top 11 by playing more friendlies(even if they have to be in the MARITIMES!!!!!)

Cheers

Serioux is not a bad choice at all in the holding role. He's quick and tenacious and generally very fit. He's recovering from injury but is due back soon. He's slated as a D-man for his MLS side, and I wonder if this might be a good place for him with the Nats, too. Especially if Hutch and somebody like DeRo or Grande or DeGuzman pair up in the centre of mid. Hutch and Serioux, flanked by DeGuzman or Simpson or Brennan on the left, and Hume or Bernier or Peters on the right, is not a bad midfield.

For the future:

Wagenaar (or Begovic)

Ledgerwood Edgar Hainault Kluka

Peters Hutch Jon. DeGuzman Jul. DeGuzman

Hume Occean

-------

Subs:

Johnson, Simpson, Friend, Lombardo, Nsaliwa (??) etc

quote:Originally posted by masster

How can you start Kenny in goal when all the reports coming out of Norway say he is making error after error right now?

Errors are a part of youth, just like we saw in the Canada brazil U20 series, how many own goals did we get? the only cure for errors is experience so play him more and he'll improve, in the spain game he seemed to have all the tools, just butterfingers from the nerves, if we can get him past that I think he'll be wicked

Originally posted by Ivan

Now.

Hirschfeld

Stalteri - McKenna - Serioux - Klukowski

Bernier - Hutchinson - DeGuzman

DeRosario

Occean - Hume

By the time qualifying for 2010 starts, Edgar, Hainault, Ledgerwood, Peters and Johnson will be seriously challenging for positions. Simpson and Gyaki may also be in the mix. There are always a few who come out of nowhere as well.

I agree with this lineup. With a new coach you get the possibility of rebuilding bridges to some players (Nsaliwa) dropping senior players (Radzinski) and a change of character players (Gervais Pozniak)as well as a move to youth.

However I would be suprised if this is our starting lineup against Jamaica in September, too many of them will be in fights for starting places on their club team. Unless there is a prominent new coach in place most will likely feel that they can impress later on and concentrate on their club status. I would expect a mainly north American based team with a few players from Europe ( perhaps the Scandinavian players as they are near the end of their season).

Archived