Jason Bent announces retirement

Richard

"Canadian International Soccer player Jason Bent has been forced to retire from professional soccer due to a right knee injury he suffered while on duty with the Canadian Men's National Team. The injury occurred in Dublin during a friendly game against the Republic of Ireland on November 18, 2003."

Read Jason's full statement at http://www.bcsoccerweb.com/articles-06/jason-bent-mar-21.htm

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

"I loved playing for Canada and always viewed it as an honour to represent my country. The treatment I have received since suffering this injury whilst on duty with the Canadian National Team has resulted in mixed emotions towards the Canadian Soccer Association. I have over 75 appearances at all levels for Canada and I can only hope that Kevan Pipe and the CSA recognize the contribution and sacrifice I have made over the past 12 years and will provide assistance to me in this difficult time."

Say no more.

In view of the current court challenge against FIFA by Belgian club Charleroi, backed by the G14 group this whole issue is far bigger than a spat between Jason Bent and the CSA so to take kicks at the CSA on this topic is somewhat uninformed. Reserve your ill feeling for FIFA by whom the CSA is bound.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/4822450.stm

In view of the current court challenge against FIFA by Belgian club Charleroi, backed by the G14 group this whole issue is far bigger than a spat between Jason Bent and the CSA so to take kicks at the CSA on this topic is somewhat uninformed. Reserve your ill feeling for FIFA by whom the CSA is bound.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/4822450.stm

quote:Originally posted by Richard

"Canadian International Soccer player Jason Bent has been forced to retire from professional soccer due to a right knee injury he suffered while on duty with the Canadian Men's National Team. The injury occurred in Dublin during a friendly game against the Republic of Ireland on November 18, 2003."

Read Jason's full statement at http://www.bcsoccerweb.com/articles-06/jason-bent-mar-21.htm

I wonder if he's insured for lost wages by the CSA? I take it no. But they have tons of cash to hand over to MLSE to build a stadium for them......

If you ever wonder why players playing in Europe balk at playing for Canada, you now know why.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I wonder if he's insured for lost wages by the CSA? I take it no. But they have tons of cash to hand over to MLSE to build a stadium for them......

If you ever wonder why players playing in Europe balk at playing for Canada, you now know why.

What cash did the CSA hand over to MLSE G-Man???? The original study to look into stadia viability was done on money granted by FIFA, the provincial, and federal governments chipped in plenty for the stadium, at least 10 million of MLSE's money has gone into this....to come away with a facility like this for a can of pop and a bag of chips is pretty good for the CSA.

The issue regarding Jason Bent is completely different. Don't mix your apples and oranges.

I agree that this is beyond just the CSA and Bent as the G-14 Charleroi case suggests. But of course, it would seem that the CSA are evil doers for some on this board no matter the fact that it seems every national FA adopts the same policy.

One thing I do find interesting about this story is what are the insurance arrangements of his club side Plymouth who he was employed with at that time. If he received a career ending injury whilst in their employ (even not in one of their matches), you would have thought he would receive some compensation. For example, if I fall down at home and injured myself, my medical and long term disability insurance through my employer kicks in. From the stories in 2004, it seems he was recovered and ready to play. And if I remember correctly, he was offered a contract at the beginning of the 2004/2005 season by Kilmarnock (after training with them) but turned it down as the wages were too low. Of course, knee injuries are funny things and perhaps it flaired up later on. Nevertheless, if I was him, I would consider looking to my employers for compensation at the time.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by An Observer

I agree that this is beyond just the CSA and Bent as the G-14 Charleroi case suggests. But of course, it would seem that the CSA are evil doers for some on this board no matter the fact that it seems every national FA adopts the same policy.

One thing I do find interesting about this story is what are the insurance arrangements of his club side Plymouth who he was employed with at that time. If he received a career ending injury whilst in their employ (even not in one of their matches), you would have thought he would receive some compensation. For example, if I fall down at home and injured myself, my medical and long term disability insurance through my employer kicks in. From the stories in 2004, it seems he was recovered and ready to play. And if I remember correctly, he was offered a contract at the beginning of the 2004/2005 season by Kilmarnock (after training with them) but turned it down as the wages were too low. Of course, knee injuries are funny things and perhaps it flaired up later on. Nevertheless, if I was him, I would consider looking to my employers for compensation at the time.

A player is paid his full salary by his club until the contract ends, regardless of playing or not, being healthy or not. After that there is no compensation. There could, however, be state compensation, which he could claim from the UK perhaps on the basis of his work permit, or from Canada.

It is true that the CSA has no liability. But he is not asking for money in this quote, he is asking for help and understanding. Those defending the CSA on a legalism are missing the point. And perhaps in interested fashion.

Remember that Onstad cited Pipe when he left, that Radz was upset with their attitude come WCQ, that Stalteri was interested in promoting Bent's cause. I think there is a wider sentiment of discontent with the CSA than most here want to recognize. What is wrong with saying that?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I think there is a wider sentiment of discontent with the CSA than most here want to recognize. What is wrong with saying that?

Nothing at all. Perhaps a different thread regarding the CSA would be

more appropriate and more enlightening.

But right now, good luck to Jason Bent and his future endeavours.

We certainly won't forget his contribution and dedication to Canadian

Soccer, especially that PK against Martinique in GC 2002![8D]

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by redhat

Nothing at all. Perhaps a different thread regarding the CSA would be

more appropriate and more enlightening.

But right now, good luck to Jason Bent and his future endeavours.

We certainly won't forget his contribution and dedication to Canadian

Soccer, especially that PK against Martinique in GC 2002![8D]

If you think that, I suggest you write a letter to Jason Bent and tell him to leave the Canadian national team, Kevan Pipe, and the CSA out of his press releases. It belongs, as you say, on a "different thread".

I truly think that if any national team player came on here and saw the way their supposedly most dedicated fans were siding with the institution over the players they'd be horrified. It would be absolutely unheard of in any other nation, especially since there is no question that playing for your country is not financially viable, you do it for dedication and honour.

But in Canada it's peace, order, and good government, and screw the guys serving the land who dare to alter, mess with or question either.

Sad news, and it must be quite difficult for him, ending your career at such a young age won't be easy. Good luck to him with his future!!!

As for Jeffrey S. comments, before criticizing the CSA, I would like to know what they have done wrong in the Jason Bent case? And I feel it's the same way for a lot of people on this board, before criticizing the CSA you have to know both sides of the story.

I feel that I can criticize the CSA for the lack of MNT home games because we have numbers showing the lack of home games. The same apply for our results in WCQ since 1985. Or playing the 2004 games in Vancouver and Edmonton. Lack of preparation.

So before making a comment on this story, I would like to know what the CSA could or should do to help him out of this unfortunate situation.

BTW, a good example of criticizing the CSA blindly is your post in another thread where you bash the CSA for loosing the Porto kid....and then we learned that he was invited for the october camp with another kid but that Porto refused to let them go.....

All professional spotsmen/women know full well when they sign their first player contract or when they agree to play for their country what the terms and conditions of those contracts are. In my experience the CSA provides players with plenty of documentation regarding their rights and obligations when they play for their country. All professional sportsmen/women know full well that every day they are at risk of a career ending injury. If they don't, they should. If they don't like the terms and conditions under which they will be expected to work or are unwilling to risk that career ending injury they should find another occupation. Professional soccer is an inherently high risk occupation. I have little sympathy with anybody who is quite happy to enjoy and benefit from the positive aspects of pro sports but holds everybody else liable including their national association when something goes wrong.

This is not aimed at Jason Bent personally, I like the lad and wish him well. To his credit he is not asking for money from the CSA according to his published letter but he offers no suggestions about how he does expect the CSA to help him. I am quite sure everybody at the CSA CSA recognizes the contribution and sacrifice he has made over the past 12 years as we all do but that was Jason's choice, nobody else's.

Well years ago the CSA (or Holger at least) was crying out for more Canadian players to turn to coaching in Canada after their playing days were over. If Jason is coaching at some soccer schools in Brampton right now, perhaps there is something that could be done in this regard.

Jeffery S. As the injury happened while he was under contract and playing for Plymouth I would have thought their insurance would have covered him. Obviously, if the injury happened after leaving Plymouth, its a different story and then Bent's press release is inaccurate and misleading.

Jeffery S. As the injury happened while he was under contract and playing for Plymouth I would have thought their insurance would have covered him.

If the injury happened when he was playing for Canada, even if it was during the time he was signed with Plymouth, it might not. We'd have to see the contract to be absolutely sure of this.

My general reading of the statement is that Jason would like to see some assistance or support from the CSA. The bottom line is that we (and the CSA) can't afford to have players possibly getting second thoughts about playing for Canada because they have seen what happened to Jason Bent & are seeing or perceiving a lack of support to players who lost his career getting an injury when playing internationally. The CSA may not be legally entitled to financially compensate Jason or may not be able to afford to so, but providing some kind of support or assistance would be a nice gesture, in their interests & in the interests of the injured player. We've seen so many players recently serve as assistant coaches for the national team that it is difficult to see why Jason could not fulfill this role or a similar function assuming he's interested in coaching & continuing with a soccer-related career, either with the CSA or somewhere else with their assistance. I also don't blame Jason for indicating in the statement what precise ways the CSA could help him - it was after all an announcement of his retirement, and not a job application.

Guest Jeffery S.

Jeffery S. As the injury happened while he was under contract and playing for Plymouth I would have thought their insurance would have covered him. Obviously, if the injury happened after leaving Plymouth, its a different story and then Bent's press release is inaccurate and misleading.

It's Jeffrey, it is not that hard to spell.

I am not siding with Bent over the CSA. I am saying that Bent obviously feels that something has not been done right at the CSA. And that there are indications that he has support amongst active players in that line of thought.

But the general reaction here seems to be screw the players, nobody asked you to play for Canada, you could have said not and now you would not be crying to us about your leg cramps.

I get the impression sometimes, when I see this as being so obvious, that hardly anyone on this board is associated as fan with a team that treats its players well, has a human face, knows how to rectify when they do things wrong, and then, if all else fails, has a fan base and press following with the capacity to demand certain quality on a personal level from those in charge. So not having any basis to comprehend what an organization like a club should and can do for its players and fans, there is no ground for requiring of the corresponding national team something, anything, of all the aforementioned. The players, who do get to clubs that treat them better, pay them, maybe even show warmth to their families, know exactly what this is about.

Bent titles his press release with specific references and adds more inside of it, so that even an idiot can figure out that he is not at all happy with the CSA after serving its program in all those games. No doubt many active national team players think he is right.

But, oddly enough, the exact same number of nards as Craig Forest who also got done over by his club team in a less than classy manner. Up the Hammers! But no, not very nice at all.

Details, details. You can drown in the fu'king things.

Anyway. Great guy from what I've been told. A Fury alumni from back in the day, allthough if memmory serves right pretty raw (i.e. crap) at the time. At least he got a winners medal for the '92 Mitre Cup and a few years of pro footie in Europe in. So not too shabby.

Smart player. He'll have something to teach the younger ones. The quality in his game was found in his heart and his head but maybe a wee bit wanting in the legs. Isn't that always the way?

Was it the '02 Gold Cup where he played so strongly only to be sidelined with blisters? Seems a long time ago already.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

If you think that, I suggest you write a letter to Jason Bent and tell him to leave the Canadian national team, Kevan Pipe, and the CSA out of his press releases. It belongs, as you say, on a "different thread".

I truly think that if any national team player came on here and saw the way their supposedly most dedicated fans were siding with the institution over the players they'd be horrified.

Whoa there. Don't lump me with the CSA apologists; all I said was

there is nothing wrong with voicing your opinion, but I merely

suggested a specific, single thread regarding your (and our)

concerns about the CSA.

I am only lamenting the loss of Jason Bent to OUR team and would

rather offer some props. If you think I'm here to disrespect him,

you're off your Iberian-centric rocker.

As for the "supposedly most dedicated fans" connotation, why disrespect us? Who else supports our MNT and the players like

Jason Bent? Give me a break ...

Archived