Jason Bent announces retirement

Richard

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

A Fury alumni from back in the day, allthough if memmory serves right pretty raw (i.e. crap) at the time. At least he got a winners medal for the '92 Mitre Cup and a few years of pro footie in Europe in. So not too shabby.

Are you talking about Jason Bent here? He would have been 15 at the time.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Fury alumni from back in the day, allthough if memmory serves right pretty raw (i.e. crap) at the time. At least he got a winners medal for the '92 Mitre Cup and a few years of pro footie in Europe in. So not too shabby.

Aren't you thinking of Kevin Holness? Anyways, I think Jason

was in Winnipeg for the Pan Am Games in 1999 ...

and the games against Honduras, Panama, and Cuba (2 wins and a tie,

no losses!).

Smart player. He'll have something to teach the younger ones. The quality in his game was found in his heart and his head but maybe a wee bit wanting in the legs. Isn't that always the way?

That's my impression of him. That's why you would think that the CSA would want to keep him around in some capacity. As Gian-Luca and Jeffrey have said, the assistance he's looking for doesn't have to be completely monetary. Why not get him involved in the NTCs somewhere or with the younger age groups? I've always thought that having a younger personality around when working with kids kinda balances with the old head coach. It gives them someone they can relate to and who's been where they are trying to go. Besides, what makes Mark Watson such a good coaching candidate and Jason not?

I really think that the CSA desperately needs to make nice with the players. National pride alone can only go so far.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

What I'm going to miss from all this is: "...WHER'S JASON BENT????????????????????????????????????????????????????????"

Luis, are you poking fun at yourself?

Jeffrey S. would not approve.

Guest Jeffery S.

If any national team player is reading this thread -and there are, I know, because one just sent me a personal note- I think they would be rather disappointed by the mentality of their fans. If you don't think human qualities are important in the game you either have very low standards or are not clued in to what the professional game is all about.

In the end why be a fan of football if in the end, deep down, you think the players are a bunch of mercenaries and it is the club president or national soccer association who you are really a fan of?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

If any national team player is reading this thread -and there are, I know, because one just sent me a personal note- I think they would be rather disappointed by the mentality of their fans.

I'm inclined to agree.

I'd hate to see the fans wishing Jason Bent luck, saying things like 'he was my favourite player' and calling him 'classy', and would rather see the fans use this thread as a means to air out a personal agenda against the CSA.

Former Cdn soccer internat'l sues

By NEIL DAVIDSON

TORONTO (CP) - Tired of waiting for insurance companies to sort out his injury claim, former Canadian soccer international Jason Bent has gone to court to accelerate the process.

Bent, 29, maintains he suffered a career-ending right knee injury playing for Canada in a 3-0 loss to Ireland on Nov. 18, 2003. The former midfielder from Brampton, Ont., is suing Lloyd's of London and Citadel General Assurance, the insurance companies engaged by the Canadian Soccer Association at the time.

Adding a twist to the matter is the fact that the insurers have not actually turned down Bent's claim. But Bent, out of pocket for significant medical and rehab expenses, wants action.

"It's been the most difficult period - emotionally, spiritually, physically - I've ever had to endure," Bent said in an interview. "Being on your own, trying to get yourself fit."

Kevan Pipe, COO of the Canadian Soccer Association, declined comment, citing the ongoing litigation. Marguerite Locke, an adjuster for Lloyd's, also refused comment. A call to Citadel was not immediately returned.

The CSA is listed in the lawsuit but not targeted financially - presumably because paying out the claim is not the CSA's call.

A stylish presense on and off the field, easy to spot for his dreadlocks (now shorn), Bent won 32 caps for the Canadian World Cup team from 1997 to 2003. He worked his way up the national team ranks, representing Canada in the under-17, under-20 and Olympic competition.

At the club level, he played in the U.S. for the Colorado Rapids of Major League Soccer and in Europe for Germany's FSV Zwickau and England's Plymouth Argyle. He could probably have played at a higher level in Europe had he had access to a European Union passport, but work permit problems restricted his movement.

Bent is trying to get on with life - he is now working as a soccer coach in his native Brampton. The knee does not usually bother him in day-to-day life - although going up stairs in the morning can be problematic - but there is still pain when he tries to sprint or shoot a ball.

And he is out of pocket for his treatment in the U.S., and for daily physio expenses. Citing the litigation, Bent declined to say how much he spent.

While he accepted the coaching job six weeks ago, he notes he went without a paycheque for two years. He lived off his savings. "Luckily, I was good with my money when I played."

Bent says he did not want to involve lawyers, saying it has been "an honour to play for my country."

But he feels let down.

"I am disappointed in the treatment that I've received since - and the lack of support."

He is also frustrated at lack of action. He flew to Ottawa last year to meet with Pipe and the CSA's Dr. Rudy Gittens, who is a member of FIFA's sports medical committee.

"They sat there and told me they would get back to me in two weeks - from March 20, 2005. Guess what? I haven't heard an e-mail, phone call, nothing since then," Bent said.

"(I'm) disappointed, very disappointed," he added. "That's 12 years of service (to Canada) since I was 16 years old. At every single level . . . I think about all the club versus country rows that I've gone through, with all the coaches."

Bent also wonders about today's Canadian players and future internationals. Will they have to go through what he has?

The CSA no longer holds career-ending injury insurance, a decision it says it made with its players. The premiums were just too expensive. Most other national federations have made the same choice, the CSA says.

Now such insurance falls to clubs, with the CSA encouraging players to take on their insurance on top of that.

Bent injured his knee on an innocuous play. Taking on Irish defender John O'Shea, he felt a sharp pain in his knee. He had it checked it at halftime and was given the green light to keep playing.

He still felt something awry, however, and the things went from bad to worse when he attempted a shot on goal late in the game.

"I felt this really sharp pain in the same area. And right then and there, I knew there was something wrong."

The initial diagnosis was a strained tendon, out for three to four weeks. He returned to Plymouth and started rehab.

"But every time I attempted to get better and was about to go back into either training or playing, I would break down again," he said.

With his contact expiring at the end of the season, it was a poor time to get hurt. He had exploratory surgery in England at the end of the 2003-04 season and was told he would be OK in six weeks time.

"I returned to Canada and did physio," he said. "I've been doing physio ever since. That would have been May 2004."

In January 2005, his doctor sent him to the Cleveland Clinic Foundation in Ohio, where he was told here might be something else going wrong with the tendon. He had more explanatory surgery in March 2005, which showed the sprained tendon was actually severed - a fact five MRIs had failed to unearth.

More surgery was needed to repair the tendon. Bent was told he should know in three months where he could play again.

"And after three months, I was nowhere near to being able to play. So I continued to do rehab every day."

Months and months went by with no improvement. So in December 2005, he saw another surgeon in Toronto. This one, Dr. Hugh Cameron of Sunnybrook Hospital, told him he would never play again professionally because of the tendon damage.

It is his second knee injury suffered playing for Canada. In 2000, he hurt a different part of the same knee playing against Bermuda. But he was back in action in five to six weeks.

[quote

He is also frustrated at lack of action. He flew to Ottawa last year to meet with Pipe and the CSA's Dr. Rudy Gittens, who is a member of FIFA's sports medical committee.

"They sat there and told me they would get back to me in two weeks - from March 20, 2005. Guess what? I haven't heard an e-mail, phone call, nothing since then," Bent said.

"(I'm) disappointed, very disappointed," he added. "That's 12 years of service (to Canada) since I was 16 years old. At every single level . . . I think about all the club versus country rows that I've gone through, with all the coaches."

That's what I wanted to know before criticizing the CSA. And if this is true I think it's quite wrong to act that way toward Jason Bent and it shows some disrespect for all the sacrifice a national team player has to make when playing for Canada.

Unfortunately this is the sort of thing that has led a lot of players to be un-impressed with Kevan Pipe, from what I've heard & what we know. I've never found that communications was his strong point, whether it is with the press or with veteran players.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Unfortunate but nobody's arm is ever twisted to play on a national team.

Maybe not an arm, but certainly a knee.

I am pleased to see amongst most voyageurs that we support Jason and we should continue to express our feeling of support.

The CSA attitude of use it and throw it away when it breaks seems deplorable.

Great job by Neil Davidson as always. If we had home games I would suggest some sort of solidarity thing. Like singing ‘There’s only one Jason Bent’ for the whole of the sixth minute or something. But aside from the U20 games against Brazil I can’t see this happening.

Jason was a great player for us and a great guy off the pitch too. He was really friendly and accomodating in Plymouth.

Héro Canadien!

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by matthew

Great job by Neil Davidson as always. If we had home games I would suggest some sort of solidarity thing. Like singing ‘There’s only one Jason Bent’ for the whole of the sixth minute or something. But aside from the U20 games against Brazil I can’t see this happening.

Jason was a great player for us and a great guy off the pitch too. He was really friendly and accomodating in Plymouth.

Héro Canadien!

cheers,

matthew

I can only echo these sentiments entirely, and add that he was the same way when he met up with some Ultras on a couple of occasions after Lynx games, and also to those of us who went down for the 2002 & 2003 Gold Cup.

The optics on this for the CSA & Kevan Pipe in particular do not look good at all (to put it mildly) & I hope they move quickly to rectify that.

Unfortunate but nobody's arm is ever twisted to play on a national team.

That has got to be one of the most asinine things I've seen on this board.

These guys travel great distances and go to great lengths for little more than national pride, often to the detriment of their own careers. The least</u> these men should expect is a little respect from their national association and a little action when required. The fact that the CSA has been dragging their feet and not even communicating with their players after</u> they said they would is absolutely deplorable. The fact that he has to sue to get them to get off their asses is crazy. Sickening.

Thanks to Neil for shedding a little light on this subject. Good luck, Jason.

"That has got to be one of the most asinine things I've seen on this board."

Everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Have you ever been invited to represent your country, at anything?

The CSA job is to have our best players playing for us, so if they act like that with a former player I don't think it will give good publicity and we might lose some good players in the end (refusing to play for us or choosing another country).

While I agree it's not part of the CSA job to help a former player, I don't think it's good business to ignore him like they seemingly did.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

The problem is the insurance company not the CSA for the legal stuff.

True. But the least the CSA could've done was keep in contact with the player and not let this issue drag on for so long. It just shows a lack of respect for the players in my opinion.

The lawsuit was needed to get any action/response at all. This could've been alleviated by the CSA talking to their insurance company, I would think.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

True. But the least the CSA could've done was keep in contact with the player and not let this issue drag on for so long. It just shows a lack of respect for the players in my opinion.

I totally agree with this like my previous post showed!!! Very weird attitude by the CSA.

Archived