Jason Bent announces retirement

Richard

quote:Originally posted by Rupert

Greetings from Plymouth. Just caught up with all this stuff about Jason. First things first: I'm glad he is not worse off. I was told by somebody at Plymouth Argyle a while ago that he had a more serious health problem (Gianluca knows what I'm referring to). Looks like that story was completely untrue, which is good news.

Yes indeed I do. I am also glad to hear that story wasn't true. I didn't want to mention the specifics, not only because I was asked to keep it to myself, but also because had I mentioned anything here I would no doubt be accused of being in bed with Kevan Pipe! ;)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering, do you think it would be possible to hold a testimonial match for Jason Bent? I know that it is traditional for a club to do so after 10+ years of service - or perhaps less if there are unfortunate circumstances like a career-ending injury. The way I see it, if he gave 12 years for the junior (under 17? under 20?) and senior MNT, then maybe his Canadian teammates could organize a game for him?

To attract some attention, I would suggest the senior MNT vs the under 20 team - with guys like Johnson and Peters playing for the under 20 to make it interesting. This would alleviate the need to pay a club to provide opposition, and it could get competitive as the old guys would want to put the younger ones in their place while they still can, and the under 20s would love to make a statement with individuals looking to secure starting spots with the senior team. Since the under 20 side are having those exhibitions with Brazil, they will be already assembled and superior chemistry could allow for an upset.

Anyways, I know this is EXTREMELY unlikely (before anyone says "the CSA won't touch this with a 10 foot pole"), but it's an idea. The guys get a chance to get together, and it will be an opportunity to thank Jason for his service, and raise some money for his expenses.

Ok, fire away!

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I used to slag Bent a bit until I saw him play, think it was the Scotland game

No it wasn't - as I mentioned before, Bent didn't play in that game, he was injured prior to it for his club team.

And before you accuse me of apologizing for the CSA by simply stating the above fact (which is what happened last time), that's all it is - a statement of fact. I'm a stickler for them. Must be my history background from university, but there it is.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Why would you slag a player before you have seen him play?

Let's just say that I had seen him play, but that was well before the moment I started criticizing his selection in the midfield over others who I thought deserved the chance. In any case, I softened my view a bit on the basis of clips of his play at Plymouth and one national team game, I don't recall which, where he is combining very well with Stalteri up the left side. Better minds will know which game I am referring to. I think we lost it, but their play together was solid.

Here's an article from an English paper with similar info as other articles, with additional focus on his time at Plymouth Argyle.

Bent is forced to hang up his boots

850 words

5 April 2006

Evening Herald

English

© 2006 Evening Herald

Former Plymouth Argyle midfielder Jason Bent has conceded defeat after a two-year fight to overcome a serious knee injury.

Bent, 29, announced his retirement after being told there was nothing that could be done to save his career.

He suffered the injury playing for Canada in a 3-0 defeat against the Republic of Ireland in a friendly at Lansdowne Road, Dublin, in November 2003.

After leaving Argyle at the end of the 2003/04 season, Bent spent two years seeing top orthopedic surgeons in Canada, the United States, England and Scotland.

But it was all to no avail and a career which saw Bent win 32 caps for Canada and pick up two championship winners' medals with Argyle, has been cut short.

He said: "I have enjoyed living out my dream of being a professional soccer player and representing my country.

"Soccer has been my life for as long as I can remember and although my professional career has been cut short I will continue to work within the field."

One option Bent is considering is a return to England to work on gaining his UEFA coaching certificates.

The Toronto-born midfielder signed for Argyle in September 2001 after they successfully appealed against a decision not to award him a work permit.

He made his debut as a substitute in a 2-0 home win against Macclesfield Town shortly afterwards.

Bent made 21 league appearances in his first season at Home Park as Paul Sturrock's Pilgrims finished top of Division Three.

He scored the final goal in Argyle's 4-1 demolition of Darlington at Feethams in May 2002, which saw them clinch the title with one match still remaining.

That was against Cheltenham Town at Home Park five days later, and Bent sent the near capacity crowd into raptures as he scored after only four minutes.

The Pilgrims ended up winning 2-0 and took their points tally for the season to an incredible 102.

Bent played 25 times for Argyle as they finished eighth in Division Two in 2002/03, despite a four-month absense after tearing a hamstring in a 2-0 home win against Bristol City in August.

He was then limited to only 18 league appearances in 2003/04 after the knee injury he suffered while on duty with Canada.

Bent was not offered another contract by new Argyle manager Bobby Williamson at the end of that campaign and he left Home Park after playing 64 league games and scoring five goals.

He had trials with Scottish Premier League side Motherwell and Swedish club Halmstads at the start of 2004/05, but the knee injury was now a serious problem for him.

As it turned out, his appearance for Argyle in a 1-0 defeat away to Bristol City on April 13, 2004 proved to be the last competitive match of his career.

He announced his retirement in a statement to the Canadian media.

Bent said: "Highly reputable Dr Hugh Cameron, of Sunnybrook Hospital, has informed me that I will never be able to return to my employment as a professional soccer player.

"He feels I will be able to carry out a normal life but playing professional soccer at this level is no longer possible.

"This announcement is made following the exhaustion of all health options in an effort to regain full fitness during a difficult period for me, both physically and mentally.

"I made the decision to withhold information as I attempted to recover from this very serious injury."

Bent has been unhappy at the lack of support he has had from the Canadian Soccer Association since his injury in the game against Ireland.

He said: "The treatment I have received since suffering this injury whilst on duty with the Canadian national team has resulted in mixed emotions towards the CSA.

"I have over 75 appearances at all levels for Canada and I can only hope Kevan Pipe (chief operating officer) and the CSA recognise the contribution and sacrifice I have made over the past 12 years and will provide assistance to me in this difficult time."

In his statement, Bent picked out the coaches who had a profound influence on his career and one of them was Sturrock.

He added: "I take with me some wonderful memories; reaching the second round of the Under-20 World Cup in Malaysia, winning 32 caps for the men's World Cup team and winning two league championships in three years with Plymouth Argyle Football Club."

"Lastly, I would like to thank my family, friends and all the fans that have supported me over the years.

"Without the support and love I would never have been able to fulfil my dream."

Bent is currently working as a coach at a childrens' soccer school in Brampton, Ontario.

He is the second member of Argyle's 2001/02 championship-winning squad to announce his retirement in recent weeks.

Defender Brian McGlinchey had to hang up his boots because of a back injury.

cerrington@eveningherald.co.uk

Here's an article from an English paper with similar info as other articles, with additional focus on his time at Plymouth Argyle.

Bent is forced to hang up his boots

850 words

5 April 2006

Evening Herald

English

© 2006 Evening Herald

Former Plymouth Argyle midfielder Jason Bent has conceded defeat after a two-year fight to overcome a serious knee injury.

Bent, 29, announced his retirement after being told there was nothing that could be done to save his career.

He suffered the injury playing for Canada in a 3-0 defeat against the Republic of Ireland in a friendly at Lansdowne Road, Dublin, in November 2003.

After leaving Argyle at the end of the 2003/04 season, Bent spent two years seeing top orthopedic surgeons in Canada, the United States, England and Scotland.

But it was all to no avail and a career which saw Bent win 32 caps for Canada and pick up two championship winners' medals with Argyle, has been cut short.

He said: "I have enjoyed living out my dream of being a professional soccer player and representing my country.

"Soccer has been my life for as long as I can remember and although my professional career has been cut short I will continue to work within the field."

One option Bent is considering is a return to England to work on gaining his UEFA coaching certificates.

The Toronto-born midfielder signed for Argyle in September 2001 after they successfully appealed against a decision not to award him a work permit.

He made his debut as a substitute in a 2-0 home win against Macclesfield Town shortly afterwards.

Bent made 21 league appearances in his first season at Home Park as Paul Sturrock's Pilgrims finished top of Division Three.

He scored the final goal in Argyle's 4-1 demolition of Darlington at Feethams in May 2002, which saw them clinch the title with one match still remaining.

That was against Cheltenham Town at Home Park five days later, and Bent sent the near capacity crowd into raptures as he scored after only four minutes.

The Pilgrims ended up winning 2-0 and took their points tally for the season to an incredible 102.

Bent played 25 times for Argyle as they finished eighth in Division Two in 2002/03, despite a four-month absense after tearing a hamstring in a 2-0 home win against Bristol City in August.

He was then limited to only 18 league appearances in 2003/04 after the knee injury he suffered while on duty with Canada.

Bent was not offered another contract by new Argyle manager Bobby Williamson at the end of that campaign and he left Home Park after playing 64 league games and scoring five goals.

He had trials with Scottish Premier League side Motherwell and Swedish club Halmstads at the start of 2004/05, but the knee injury was now a serious problem for him.

As it turned out, his appearance for Argyle in a 1-0 defeat away to Bristol City on April 13, 2004 proved to be the last competitive match of his career.

He announced his retirement in a statement to the Canadian media.

Bent said: "Highly reputable Dr Hugh Cameron, of Sunnybrook Hospital, has informed me that I will never be able to return to my employment as a professional soccer player.

"He feels I will be able to carry out a normal life but playing professional soccer at this level is no longer possible.

"This announcement is made following the exhaustion of all health options in an effort to regain full fitness during a difficult period for me, both physically and mentally.

"I made the decision to withhold information as I attempted to recover from this very serious injury."

Bent has been unhappy at the lack of support he has had from the Canadian Soccer Association since his injury in the game against Ireland.

He said: "The treatment I have received since suffering this injury whilst on duty with the Canadian national team has resulted in mixed emotions towards the CSA.

"I have over 75 appearances at all levels for Canada and I can only hope Kevan Pipe (chief operating officer) and the CSA recognise the contribution and sacrifice I have made over the past 12 years and will provide assistance to me in this difficult time."

In his statement, Bent picked out the coaches who had a profound influence on his career and one of them was Sturrock.

He added: "I take with me some wonderful memories; reaching the second round of the Under-20 World Cup in Malaysia, winning 32 caps for the men's World Cup team and winning two league championships in three years with Plymouth Argyle Football Club."

"Lastly, I would like to thank my family, friends and all the fans that have supported me over the years.

"Without the support and love I would never have been able to fulfil my dream."

Bent is currently working as a coach at a childrens' soccer school in Brampton, Ontario.

He is the second member of Argyle's 2001/02 championship-winning squad to announce his retirement in recent weeks.

Defender Brian McGlinchey had to hang up his boots because of a back injury.

cerrington@eveningherald.co.uk

The Evening Herald readers responded to the above article....

good luck plymouth at leeds on saturday will see ya there

jason and danny and les glass, plymouth

get well soon jason good luck in the future jason all the best

danny glass, west park plymouth

get well soon bent i hope that u will be able to play football again in your career if you did return from injury the fans at argyle would love to see you play for the team again

jason glass, west park plymouth

All the very best Jason, thanks for all your class performances for the mighty Argyle - who knows, could see you on the coaching staff one day!! Take care

steve, cheltenham

Good luck Jason and thanks for the memories. I don't think we ever truly saw the best of him because he was a bit brittle. But, it sounds like the Canadian FA haven't done right by him so I hope they give him a testimonial. If not, how about Argyle giving a joint testimonial to both McGlinchey and Bent. They were an integral part of our recent golden past. I'm sure Paul Sturrock would bring Sheffield Wednesday down for them if we couldn't attract a bigger draw than that. Also, all the best to Brian McGlinchey as well. He was a real wholehearted competitor and some how I'm not surprised his career has been ended prematurely due to an injury. Thanks belatedly Brian.

David, Surrey

Great player, always made time for himself on the ball. Great range of passing. A big part of the two championship winning sides. Good luck to Jason in the future

Pete, Plymouth

The reference in my favourite ever Argyle song - and a player who always gave his all. Was sorry to see him go and really sorry to see it end this way for him

Rod, Singapore

Good luck to Jason Bent.

john, saltash

just who the flip was edgar davids anyway?

chris, devon

Archived