Toronto MLS Team Name Suggestion Thread

Gian-Luca

I'm pretty sure I read that FC stands for nothing in FC Dallas - it's just FC because it sounds like a proper name for a soccer club.

Didn't I read a few years ago that the Whitecaps changed their official name from Vancouver Whitecaps to Whitecaps FC for pretty much the same reason?

TOarea - yes, FC doesn't strictly make sense since football to most people around here means gridiron. But, just like FC Dallas realized, just about anyone with even a passing interest in soccer knows and recognizes what FC implies.

As for Toronto City sounding too British - well, some people want to call the team Upper Canada Loyalists...

Mike.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some past USL Div. 1 names to consider.....

New York Centaurs

Long Island Rough Riders

Minnesota Thunder

Milwaukee Rampage

Hershey Wildcats

El Paso Patriots

Carolina Dynamo

Connecticut Wolves

Atlanta Ruckus

Jacksonville Cyclones

Richmond Kickers

Raleigh Flyers

Nashville Metros

Worcester Wildfire

Orlando Sundogs

Orange County Zodiac

New Orleans Riverboat Gamblers

Colorado Foxes

California Jaguars

San Francisco Bay Seals

Sacramento Geckos (?????)

State Island Vipers

Boston Bulldogs

Maryland Mania

Tennessee Rythym

LeHigh Valley Steam (?!)

New Orleans Storm

Raleigh Capital Express

San Diego Flash

Orange County Waves

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

I'm pretty sure I read that FC stands for nothing in FC Dallas - it's just FC because it sounds like a proper name for a soccer club.

Didn't I read a few years ago that the Whitecaps changed their official name from Vancouver Whitecaps to Whitecaps FC for pretty much the same reason?

TOarea - yes, FC doesn't strictly make sense since football to most people around here means gridiron. But, just like FC Dallas realized, just about anyone with even a passing interest in soccer knows and recognizes what FC implies.

As for Toronto City sounding too British - well, some people want to call the team Upper Canada Loyalists...

Mike.

Bingo amigo. The name "FC Dallas" actually stands for ... FC Dallas. The "FC" implies "soccer" to those savvy fans who prefer Euro football over American Soccer. FC Dallas doesn't stand for "Futbol Club" or "Football Club". The poster on BS was just full of . . .well, BS.

quote:Originally posted by jeffymac1971

I am not from Toronto but have a few :

Hogtown United ...joking

Toronto Liberal Voters...joking but true.

But the one I like is:

Toronto Unity (multicultural aspect)

since they'll be playing on plastic,

The Toronto Rug Munchers.

You might get some lesbians buying season tickets...maybe push that total over 500. Almost as good as the ethnic "United" or "Inter"

The first pro team named on a sexual orientation slang. How cutting edge! And it'd be funny cause it's a men's team.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

New York Centaurs

Long Island Rough Riders

Minnesota Thunder

Milwaukee Rampage

Hershey Wildcats

El Paso Patriots

Carolina Dynamo

Connecticut Wolves

Atlanta Ruckus

Jacksonville Cyclones

Richmond Kickers

Raleigh Flyers

Nashville Metros

Worcester Wildfire

Orlando Sundogs

Orange County Zodiac

Colorado Foxes

California Jaguars

San Francisco Bay Seals

State Island Vipers

Boston Bulldogs

Maryland Mania

Tennessee Rythym

LeHigh Valley Steam (?!)

New Orleans Storm

Raleigh Capital Express

San Diego Flash

Orange County Waves

Trust those fellows from Tennessee to get the spelling wrong on their name.

The Tennessee Kissin' Cousins.

(Gianluca's long lists prove that the best name remains Blizzard, though I actually agree that Inter or International is not bad if you want to be a bit of a copy-cat of European style names, I don't think it would scare off the AC Milan or Vecchia Signora fans, or am I wrong?).

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

New York Centaurs

Long Island Rough Riders

Minnesota Thunder

Milwaukee Rampage

Hershey Wildcats

El Paso Patriots

Carolina Dynamo

Connecticut Wolves

Atlanta Ruckus

Jacksonville Cyclones

Richmond Kickers

Raleigh Flyers

Nashville Metros

Worcester Wildfire

Orlando Sundogs

Orange County Zodiac

Colorado Foxes

California Jaguars

San Francisco Bay Seals

State Island Vipers

Boston Bulldogs

Maryland Mania

Tennessee Rythym

LeHigh Valley Steam (?!)

New Orleans Storm

Raleigh Capital Express

San Diego Flash

Orange County Waves

Trust those fellows from Tennessee to get the spelling wrong on their name.

The Tennessee Kissin' Cousins.

(Gianluca's long lists prove that the best name remains Blizzard, though I actually agree that Inter or International is not bad if you want to be a bit of a copy-cat of European style names, I don't think it would scare off the AC Milan or Vecchia Signora fans, or am I wrong?).

I can only shudder at the lame names that MLSE may dream up (like Real Salt Lake, Raptors, etc...) and after reading 13 pages of pure rubbish, I am now convinced more than ever that this team should be called the Toronto Blizzard.

The Toronto Blizzard were known throughout Canada, North America and Europe. In fact, I believe you can still buy new Blizzard jerseys in Europe.

It was considered one of the greatest sports franchise names in Canada (second only to the Whitecaps), and the club was respected from coast to coast by Canada's soccer community.

The Blizzard represented one of the bright spots in Canadian soccer history and MLSE would have instant international recognition and respect by using the Blizzard name.

MLSE will want to market this club across Canada, and by rejuvenating the Blizzard name (as did Vancouver with the Whitecaps) it will amount to instant marketing recognition.

And most importantly, it is an quintessential Canadian name that puts everything else suggested here to shame.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

I can only shudder at the lame names that MLSE may dream up (like Real Salt Lake, Raptors, etc...)

For the umpteenth time, MLSE had no involvement with the creation of the Raptors. The Raptors where created when the team was jointly owned by Allan Slaight (from the Standard Broadcasting family) and John Bitove (the dude that ran Toronto's Olympic bid).

The Leafs purchased the Raptors in order to take over their stadium construction, for what eventually would be the ACC.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

I can only shudder at the lame names that MLSE may dream up (like Real Salt Lake, Raptors, etc...) and after reading 13 pages of pure rubbish, I am now convinced more than ever that this team should be called the Toronto Blizzard.

The Toronto Blizzard were known throughout Canada, North America and Europe. In fact, I believe you can still buy new Blizzard jerseys in Europe.

It was considered one of the greatest sports franchise names in Canada (second only to the Whitecaps), and the club was respected from coast to coast by Canada's soccer community.

The Blizzard represented one of the bright spots in Canadian soccer history and MLSE would have instant international recognition and respect by using the Blizzard name.

MLSE will want to market this club across Canada, and by rejuvenating the Blizzard name (as did Vancouver with the Whitecaps) it will amount to instant marketing recognition.

And most importantly, it is an quintessential Canadian name that puts everything else suggested here to shame.

Y'know, just when something resembling actual civilized debate appears to be breaking out, someone has to come along and declare anything contrary to their own opinion "pure rubbish."

We're talking about a team name here, for crissakes! It's about as subjective a topic as you can get: there is no absolute right or wrong.

Is it expecting too much for people to advance their own argument without crapping all over somebody (or in this case, everybody) else's?

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

For the umpteenth time, MLSE had no involvement with the creation of the Raptors. The Raptors where created when the team was jointly owned by Allan Slaight (from the Standard Broadcasting family) and John Bitove (the dude that ran Toronto's Olympic bid).

The Leafs purchased the Raptors in order to take over their stadium construction, for what eventually would be the ACC.

I believe it was already known as the Air Canada Centre during construction. ;)

I've always liked Blizzard to be honest. I used to ger ridiculed at school as a kid for wearing a Football strip that looked like a "tea-bag" but I was still proud to wear it.

I like the shout for City as well, city is used in the name of many clubs throughout the world for example Ciudad de Murcia in Spain (obviously in Spanish).

What about:

Toronto Ultra / Ultra Toronto - Yes it is a little European but I do not know of any other football club called Ultras, just the loyal supporters.

Toronto Fidelity

Not a big fan of the Unted tag but what about United Toronto?

Toronto Chiefs - going native

For the hell of it some ripped off names: None can be worse than Real Salt Lake

Dukla Toronto

Toronto Honved

Deportivo Toronto

Toronto Hearts of Oak

Sparta Toronto

Legia Tornoto

Toronto Torpedo (actually doesn't sound bad, but no relivance)

Dynamo Toronto

Lokomtiv Toronto

Toronto kickers

Torontomunchengladbach

I'll get my coat

or just plain Toronto SC or is that a big taboo?

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

They also had nothing to do with the creation of Real Salt Lake, but it's still a garbage name.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Oranje

Y'know, just when something resembling actual civilized debate appears to be breaking out, someone has to come along and declare anything contrary to their own opinion "pure rubbish."

We're talking about a team name here, for crissakes! It's about as subjective a topic as you can get: there is no absolute right or wrong.

Is it expecting too much for people to advance their own argument without crapping all over somebody (or in this case, everybody) else's?

I don't believe I attacked anyone personally, and after reading 13 pages of 'pure rubbish,' half of which are personal attacks and nothing to do with the topic, I stand by my statement.

I also stand by my statement that the Blizzard is the best name presented (IMHO) on this forum.

Toronto FC, Toronto City, Toronto Inter,etc...., how bloody original are any of these ?! They are absolutely pathetic.

Toronto had the most original sports name in history, and it was a name tied to Toronto & Canada's soccer community and respected around the world.

Why anyone would want to sacrifice one of the few bright spots in Canada's soccer history, and with it one of the most original sports names ever concieved, is mind boggling.

I liked James Sharman's suggestion - Toronto International. In all seriousness.

What colours should they be wearing? Red/White? Something neutral to canadians such as Green or Black? Traditional Toronto Blue and White?

My vote is for black - but of course there already is Columbus, DC and even MetroStars in predominantly black.

Archived