Toronto MLS Team Name Suggestion Thread

Gian-Luca

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Leafs, I understand that but this is going on and on, back and forth as you each try to get the last word in, neverendingly. I am asking YOU to be the adult here and refrain from responding. Lets get back to the football here, and leave BigSoccer to it own devices. The fact that DoyleG is a mod on BigSoccer tells u everything u need to know about the credibility of that site. So leave the Bigsoccer fights over there. Is that Cool? :)

Real I will Ingorne the largest ass in he history of canadian Soccer boards. Good points lets get back to soccer and leave the communists alone.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great, now where were we? Oh yes, team names.......

Again, I propose Toronto City FC.

Its not too gimmicky like Rochester Raging Rhinos, and not too faux-European like Real Salt Lake. All in all good solid traditional sounding soccer team name.

Plus there really was a Toronto City FC back in the 60s.

Its not too gimmicky like Rochester Raging Rhinos, and not too faux-European like Real Salt Lake. All in all good solid traditional sounding soccer team name.

They were loaded with First DIV players. From England. It was just after this that the English FA banned its players from playing on other squads. The players were making more in s ummer here than they made in England for a ful season.

Matthew blantchford area few I recall.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

This was so much better when it took place at BigSoccer (because it was all behind the scenes).

To TGJM's credit, he did rid BS of one of it's biggest trolls.

Oh, and he wasn't booted as a mod, nor did he close a thread and have it re-opened by a super-mod.

But enough about that, I'll let those two get back to each other's throats ;)

Quite right Rudi. That troll at BS was a major, major problem and Joe did manage to bump him off. Joe deserves my undieing gratitude for that one act alone.

db

quote:Originally posted by Leafs

They were loaded with First DIV players. From England. It was just after this that the English FA banned its players from playing on other squads. The players were making more in s ummer here than they made in England for a ful season.

Matthew blantchford area few I recall.

That would be Matthews (Stanley) and Blanchflower (Danny).

db

The problem I have with that name is that it is more British than anything (don't shoot me....I am a brit). Also...in a country/continent that calls the game "soccer" what exactly does FC stand for?

The only name I can think of that, both, reflects upon Toronto and might satisfy the soccer traditionalists is International Toronto (ie. Inter Toronto)...it might also reflect the fact that the team will, likely, bear a strong resembalance to the Canadian Interational team.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Inter Toronto...

Hmmm...that makes sense from several standpoints. Blue and Black stripes with white shorts methinks...

Except for at this moment in MLS, Colorado wears the Inter Milan style uniform (albiet with black shorts).

quote:Originally posted by Andrew W

Except for at this moment in MLS, Colorado wears the Inter Milan style uniform (albiet with black shorts).

I think they should take the old name and do it a new way. Like, is there another "Inter" somewhere in the world? They could use the name to evoke images of milan while using the uniform of "another inter" to honour that heritage?

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

The problem I have with that name is that it is more British than anything (don't shoot me....I am a brit). Also...in a country/continent that calls the game "soccer" what exactly does FC stand for?

The only name I can think of that, both, reflects upon Toronto and might satisfy the soccer traditionalists is International Toronto (ie. Inter Toronto)...it might also reflect the fact that the team will, likely, bear a strong resembalance to the Canadian Interational team.

Well I have never had a problem with Inter Toronto. I have backed that name on here before but some people seem to think its 'too European' or something so i figured Toronto City sounds traditional enough without sounding like we are just ripping off Inter Milan.

Hey I missed this thread with my internet connection knocked out for a week.

Yet one more name suggestion: (if the Blizzard can't be used for legal reasons).

TORONTO RUSH

In lieu of lots of verbs being used in team names.

It would be great to get the co-operations of the hometown rock band with that name.

Great theme music possibilities during player intros...

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

Hey I missed this thread with my internet connection knocked out for a week.

Yet one more name suggestion: (if the Blizzard can't be used for legal reasons).

TORONTO RUSH

In lieu of lots of verbs being used in team names.

It would be great to get the co-operations of the hometown rock band with that name.

Great theme music possibilities during player intros...

Seems to be a pretty overwhelming agreement here that there should be an avoidance of traditional North American style naming (ie. Cityname followed by "nickname").

Never thought of the Rush angle though....if they don't like it we could call them Toronto Triumph and the guys could ride out on vintage motorcycles to the sound of rick emmett(sp?) or we could go for a younger crowd and call them the Toronto Bare Naked Ladies (not too young a crowd though as they wouldn't be able to get into any of the many team "club houses" spread across the city).

(this is all in jest do not bombard me...it many not even be funny....but that is what I was going for!)

Well I have never had a problem with Inter Toronto. I have backed that name on here before but some people seem to think its 'too European' or something so i figured Toronto City sounds traditional enough without sounding like we are just ripping off Inter Milan.

I think I'd rather be caught ripping off Inter Milan than Manchester City or Coventry City. God forbid Stoke City. ;)

Archived