Saputo playing Hard Ball

An Observer

What I find incredible about this one is that Saputo has known for years that the CSA has backed a team in the MLS and has been actively trying to get the MLSE and the various levels of goverments to fund a stadium. There have been many announcements before (ie. York, Varsity, Exhibition) but in spite of all that, he decided to build a stadium in Montreal. Once it has come to a reality, he makes all this noise about them undermining him. Why now? Simply looks like he is trying to get a better deal for himself...

Montreal owners reconsider stadiumBy PETER MALLETT

Tuesday, October 25, 2005 Posted at 3:42 AM EDT

From Tuesday's Globe and Mail

Montreal Impact president Joey Saputo says his United Soccer Leagues club is reconsidering its commitment to building a soccer-specific stadium in Montreal for the 2007 FIFA world youth championships.

Saputo told a Montreal sports radio station, The Team 990, on the weekend that plans for a $15-million 13,500-seat downtown stadium may be put on hold after Canadian Soccer Association officials gave their blessing to a Major League Soccer expansion franchise for Toronto.

"We are going to have to reconsider the stadium," Saputo said. "We don't want the stadium to be a white elephant -- if you lose your sponsorship and your league because of competition. Why would we need a 15,000-stadium when we have one that works fine at 9,000."

Last May, Saputo Inc. owner Lino Saputo -- the father of Joey Saputo -- announced plans to build a soccer stadium called Complexe Place du Public in downtown Montreal when the city was chosen as a host city for the U-21 tournament along with Victoria, Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto and Ottawa.

Advertisements

The Impact, along with the Toronto Lynx and Vancouver Whitecaps, play in the 12-team United Soccer Leagues. The three club owners have been alarmed at the possibility of competition if the MLS grants Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment an expansion franchise to play in a soccer stadium planned for Toronto.

"I have always been there to support the game but at this particular time I feel like the CSA doesn't give a hoot about me," Saputo said in the radio interview.

Saputo also said that his club's $1-million commitment to the 2007 tournament and the Montreal site committee is up in the air.

Toronto Lynx chief operating officer Nicole Hartrell said the Lynx plan to continue to operate in Toronto despite the possibility of an MLS expansion franchise.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CSA doesn't care about the development of soccer in Canada or the teams that are playing in Canada. Their only concern is the National team.

Look at the results. You can not build a successful national team if you do not have club teams in your country.

Yallop took 6 players from the Impact in the middle of the season while the Impact had games in the USL. Now, CSA will put a MLS franchise in Toronto with the funds of all Canadians (our taxes) when this city is the less supportive among the three Canadian cities with teams in USL.

Why would Saputo keep on investing his time and his family's own money?

It seems Saputo has down quite alot for Montreal and soccer in Canada. I do not doubt that one. But he either has no business senser or he is playing political games. I say no business sense as no person in their right mind makes an announcement and puts alot of effort into finacing a project where there is a good chance that a key variable that is crucial to the well-being of your project stands a good chance of going against you before the project has even got off the ground. That is plain stupid. It was known for a very long time that the CSA has been working hard to get a stadium built in Toronto and to have the MLSE put an MLS side there. If you believe that is going to have a negative financial impact on your project to the extent that it may make it unviable, that the prudent thing to do is wait on the sidelines until it is resolved before moving ahead. However, the political thing to do is announce your project in spite of your knowledge, use your situation to blackmail the CSA (ie. my commitment to the WYC is now up in the air), and look to extract some sort of benefit (financial or possibly preferential treatment on entry into the MLS) from the change of the situation that you knew was very much a reality all along. I don't think Saputo is stupid so I think its unlikely that he is commercially naive and he seems to have played the government sponsorship route quite well in the past....so this is simply an attempt by him (probably with the support of the whitecaps) to leverage whatever he can to get a better deal for him and the Impact...which is not necessarily a bad thing but his pandering certainly doesn't cause me to panic either.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

It seems Saputo has down quite alot for Montreal and soccer in Canada. I do not doubt that one. But he either has no business senser or he is playing political games..... That is plain stupid. It was known for a very long time that the CSA has been working hard to get a stadium built in Toronto and to have the MLSE put an MLS side there. If you believe that is going to have a negative financial impact on your project to the extent that it may make it unviable, that the prudent thing to do is wait on the sidelines until it is resolved before moving ahead. However, the political thing to do is announce your project in spite of your knowledge, use your situation to blackmail the CSA (ie. my commitment to the WYC is now up in the air), and look to extract some sort of benefit (financial or possibly preferential treatment on entry into the MLS) from the change of the situation that you knew was very much a reality all along. I don't think Saputo is stupid so I think its unlikely that he is commercially naive and he seems to have played the government sponsorship route quite well in the past....so this is simply an attempt by him (probably with the support of the whitecaps) to leverage whatever he can to get a better deal for him and the Impact...which is not necessarily a bad thing but his pandering certainly doesn't cause me to panic either.

Quite frankly, I have always been against the CSA's involvement in the Toronto project and CSA's involvement in MLS.

I will state clearly that I am not against a stadium in Toronto or MLS in Toronto ...only the CSA's involvement.

So Saputo and Kerfoot or any others who are putting up $ have a right to bitch.

Sudbury had a 10,000 seat stadium built for a World Jr Track meet as does Sherbrooke and Moncton is seeking funding for the same event. Saint John has a stadium that was booked for U-17 Concacaf qualifying that CSA gave up to Mexico. Do I see CSA going to the feds saying if you fund the stadium in Moncton for 2008 we'll play games there, of course not.

Will one MLS team in Canada be the saviour if Canadian soccer noooooo!

The CSA should never have been allowed to take FIFA $ to design one stadium in one city. This isn't some European state ..this a large confederation covering 6 time zones and the CSA has lost all credibility to those outside Toronto with this stadium and MLS support. Again I'm not against a stadium in Toronto or MLS in Toronto. But this much support by the CSA shows negligence to the ROC.

To compare citrus fruit to gravensteins. CFL because of feds and provincial support has gone a route where CIS players can advance to the pros (mind you most will say a minor league). Why the CSA has chosen a route where one Canadian team playing in an American league is the prefered route is unbelievable and an insult to the ROC.

The CSA on the subject of a T-O stadium and MLS has shown themselves to be narrow sighted and knee jerk in their approach. So yes Saputo and Kerfoot and any other Canadian enterprise looking to build a stadium, should say to the "Canadian" Soccer Association....."what about us? Don't we fall under your jurisdiction too!

Toronto guys take your shots now. But really I'm not against any of this happening in your fair city. I'm against the "Canadian" Soccer Ass'n being sooooo involved.

The timing of this announcement by Saputo is highly suspicious, and not very helpful, to anyone. Agree with An Observer, Saputo has known about the MLS in Toronto for a long time. Was it just that he thought it was never going to happen? If the vote for the stadium doesn't happen tomorrow is he going to re-consider again?

Montreal owners take their ball and go home

NORTH BOYS

Montreal Impact president Joey Saputo says his United Soccer Leagues club is reconsidering its commitment to building a soccer-specific stadium in Montreal for the 2007 FIFA world youth championships.

Saputo told a Montreal sports radio station, The Team 990, on the weekend that plans for a $15-million 13,500-seat downtown stadium may be put on hold for a year after Canadian Soccer Association officials gave their blessing to a Major League Soccer expansion franchise for Toronto.

"We are going to have to delay the stadium," Saputo said. "We don't want the World U20s to be a success for the CSA since those meanies decided that they would let an MLS team in the country."

Last May, Saputo Inc. owner Lino Saputo -- the father of Joey Saputo -- announced plans to build a soccer stadium called Complexe Place du Public in downtown Montreal when the city was chosen as a host city for the U-20 tournament along with Victoria, Vancouver, Edmonton, Toronto and Ottawa.

The Impact, along with the Toronto Lynx and Vancouver Whitecaps, play in the 12-team United Soccer Leagues. The three club owners have been alarmed at the possibility of competition if the MLS grants Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment an expansion franchise to play in a soccer stadium planned for Toronto.

"I have always been there to support the game but at this particular time I feel like the CSA doesn't give a hoot about me," Saputo said in the radio interview. "Can you imagine what this will be like, having one bigger club taking all of the best players from another smaller club. It hurts the integrity of the game."

Saputo also said that his club's $1-million commitment to the 2007 tournament and the Montreal site committee is up in the air.

Toronto Lynx chief operating officer Nicole Hartrell said the Lynx plan to continue to operate in Toronto despite the possibility of an MLS expansion franchise.

I want the CSA to step up and guarantee games in Montreal and Vancouver and hell yes in Moncton if these 15,000 seat stadiums get built. I'm sure the City of Moncton and the Province of New Brunswick as well as Quebec and British Columbia would welcome CSA proposals guaranteeing games when they stand up to the feds wanting some sort of funding.

It's time for the CSA to show the "C" stands for "Canadian" and why did the CSA never use the Winnipeg Soccer Centre to any extent after the Pan-Am games?

Where is the CSA backing stadiums in Halifax or Hamilton in the latest Commonwealth Games bids. Let's put the Canadian back in CSA!

While I agree with Joey, not having a SSS in Montreal for 2007 would look bad on everybody. I agree that the CSA should disperse stadium money evenly between the big 3 markets.

I know the Whitecaps met with the CSA about the same issue, but aren't going public about it.

In any case, in order for the Montreal Impact to grow, they'll need to move out of their current digs and into a bigger home.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The timing of this announcement by Saputo is highly suspicious, and not very helpful, to anyone. Agree with An Observer, Saputo has known about the MLS in Toronto for a long time. Was it just that he thought it was never going to happen? If the vote for the stadium doesn't happen tomorrow is he going to re-consider again?

Yeah, If he pulls out now, then you have to wonder what his rationale was when he decided to build it in the first place. I suspect, what he is looking at is the amount of public support ($$$) thats going into the TO project and wondering: " hey what about me?".

Plain and simple, saputo doesnt want to lose his players to toronto....Well to bad joey, u have been stealin torontos players for the past 3 or 4 years.

DEAL WITH IT,

Too many babys, only 1 bottle... maybe corrazin can let the duze suck on his teet instead of a bottle..

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I agree that the CSA should disperse stadium money evenly between the big 3 markets.

The CSA does not have money to disperse between three markets.

It has gov't funding specifically for a stadium in Toronto.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

I agree that the CSA should disperse stadium money evenly between the big 3 markets.

The CSA does not have money to disperse between three markets.

It has gov't funding specifically for a stadium in Toronto.

Can't call this helpfull in any way, shape or form. Except that it's a direct attack at the CSA and it's MLS plans.

Has to be hard for Saputo and friends who've done everything right the last few years to grow the game in Montreal to see Toronto, who've done absolutely nothing right the last few years, leap frog past them in the footie food chain in this country.

Anyone surprised?

Problem with successful business men is they're usualy pretty smart, can see the big picture, and know a thing or two about the markets they serve. Try to sell it any way you want, Saputo knows when he and his baby are getting pissed on. He doesn't like it and doesn't mind as saying as much since all the back room blah, blah, blah, has come to naught.

Bit provincial no? But the CSA by climbing into bed with MLSE/MLS to get their bigger better stadium built is bad for USL Division 1. At least as far as a few important people are concearned. You know, Kerfoot and Saputo.

Can't call this helpfull in any way, shape or form. Except that it's a direct attack at the CSA and it's MLS plans.

Has to be hard for Saputo and friends who've done everything right the last few years to grow the game in Montreal to see Toronto, who've done absolutely nothing right the last few years, leap frog past them in the footie food chain in this country.

Anyone surprised?

Problem with successful business men is they're usualy pretty smart, can see the big picture, and know a thing or two about the markets they serve. Try to sell it any way you want, Saputo knows when he and his baby are getting pissed on. He doesn't like it and doesn't mind as saying as much since all the back room blah, blah, blah, has come to naught.

Bit provincial no? But the CSA by climbing into bed with MLSE/MLS to get their bigger better stadium built is bad for USL Division 1. At least as far as a few important people are concearned. You know, Kerfoot and Saputo.

Wow, this is bad news. I can understand it though. Anyone who listened to the Garber Confrence call a few weeks ago has to be woried about how the CSA is now courting the MLS. I don't know if its true, or just Garbers Spin, the tone of that call was that the CSA was dumping the USL like its ugly first wife for a sexy new model. Maybe its political, but why not? Why is it that all this money and fuss is going inot toronto so MLSE can have a team? Where as both Montreal and Vancouver can't even get the CSA or Canadain Government to help them at city hall with their stadiums. It will be a great loss if KMontreal doesn't get this stadium done. The WYC doesn't look that rosey for us anymore. I remember the dream that all the big three cities would have new stadiums. Now it looks like Toronto 'Might' have a stadium.

Wow, this is bad news. I can understand it though. Anyone who listened to the Garber Confrence call a few weeks ago has to be woried about how the CSA is now courting the MLS. I don't know if its true, or just Garbers Spin, the tone of that call was that the CSA was dumping the USL like its ugly first wife for a sexy new model. Maybe its political, but why not? Why is it that all this money and fuss is going inot toronto so MLSE can have a team? Where as both Montreal and Vancouver can't even get the CSA or Canadain Government to help them at city hall with their stadiums. It will be a great loss if KMontreal doesn't get this stadium done. The WYC doesn't look that rosey for us anymore. I remember the dream that all the big three cities would have new stadiums. Now it looks like Toronto 'Might' have a stadium.

I can only imagine that this is public posturing to get some public money for his stadium. Seems a bit hypocritical though after they made a big deal that the stadium was going to be completely privately financed. It is also a very unproductive and selfish manner in which to lobby for funding. Does anyone find it ironic that the same USL teams that to a fair extent sunk the earlier Canadian league option are now trying to sink the only alternate plan of entry into the highest US league? Are these guys really so in love with the USL Div 1 that they want to play there for eternity or is it just a case of looking at their short term selfish interests?

The worst thing is I don't think Saputo has much to threaten the CSA with and is thus making a lot of negative noise for nothing. Unless he has some semi-illegal ways of building the stadium on the cheap is a $15 million dollar 13 500 seat stadium going to be significantly better than CCR? Why would you invest in such a stadium if you have no plan to play in a better league than the USL Div 1 anyway? $15 million to get rid of the track? CCR is more than adequate for a Div 1 team and in fact is one the best stadiums in the league. If Saputo does not support the U-20 the CSA has several options from playing in CCR (which Saputo does not control), playing in Olympic stadium with grass (could maybe make a deal with promoters to split costs by having a major club friendly before the U-20) or leaving Montreal out of the U-20 altogether.

People can bitch about Toronto getting the MLS franchise despite have a less than successful Div 1 team but the fact is the Lynx are not involved in this project and noone else has put the money and planning into getting an MLS team that MLSE has. Maybe Saputo would like to join the MLS himself and is upset at the exclusivity period for Toronto? However, unless the league is going to allow all North Americans to play as domestics in the whole league this will be necessary for the first Canadian team to be competitive until our domestic player pool expands. Any team can look at this short term and think that it is unfair that Toronto gets the team but the fact is that Toronto getting an MLS team will be good in the long term for all of the other teams (with the possible exception of the Lynx) and speed up their entry to the MLS. We can debate all we want about MLS versus a Canadian league but the fact is that all 3 USL teams are not in favour of establishing a Canadian league. If what they are offering as an alternative is continually playing in the US second division I think everyone would have to agree that this a poorer option than either Canadian MLS teams or a Canadian league. I am an Impact fan and support what Saputo has done for the club but am disappointed by these comments.

I can only imagine that this is public posturing to get some public money for his stadium. Seems a bit hypocritical though after they made a big deal that the stadium was going to be completely privately financed. It is also a very unproductive and selfish manner in which to lobby for funding. Does anyone find it ironic that the same USL teams that to a fair extent sunk the earlier Canadian league option are now trying to sink the only alternate plan of entry into the highest US league? Are these guys really so in love with the USL Div 1 that they want to play there for eternity or is it just a case of looking at their short term selfish interests?

The worst thing is I don't think Saputo has much to threaten the CSA with and is thus making a lot of negative noise for nothing. Unless he has some semi-illegal ways of building the stadium on the cheap is a $15 million dollar 13 500 seat stadium going to be significantly better than CCR? Why would you invest in such a stadium if you have no plan to play in a better league than the USL Div 1 anyway? $15 million to get rid of the track? CCR is more than adequate for a Div 1 team and in fact is one the best stadiums in the league. If Saputo does not support the U-20 the CSA has several options from playing in CCR (which Saputo does not control), playing in Olympic stadium with grass (could maybe make a deal with promoters to split costs by having a major club friendly before the U-20) or leaving Montreal out of the U-20 altogether.

People can bitch about Toronto getting the MLS franchise despite have a less than successful Div 1 team but the fact is the Lynx are not involved in this project and noone else has put the money and planning into getting an MLS team that MLSE has. Maybe Saputo would like to join the MLS himself and is upset at the exclusivity period for Toronto? However, unless the league is going to allow all North Americans to play as domestics in the whole league this will be necessary for the first Canadian team to be competitive until our domestic player pool expands. Any team can look at this short term and think that it is unfair that Toronto gets the team but the fact is that Toronto getting an MLS team will be good in the long term for all of the other teams (with the possible exception of the Lynx) and speed up their entry to the MLS. We can debate all we want about MLS versus a Canadian league but the fact is that all 3 USL teams are not in favour of establishing a Canadian league. If what they are offering as an alternative is continually playing in the US second division I think everyone would have to agree that this a poorer option than either Canadian MLS teams or a Canadian league. I am an Impact fan and support what Saputo has done for the club but am disappointed by these comments.

If Saputo goes back on his word about the stadium in Montreal, I suspect the CSA will bring the WYC back to CCR, which is where it was scheduled to go originally IIRC before Saputo announced his plans for a new stadium.

Have to wonder if he was hoping Toronto wouldn't get a stadium or MLS team and that $27 million would come to him, which, when added to the $15 million he said he would put into the construction of a new stadium, might actually make a bit more sense for the construction costs (as its still tough to figure out how they were going to build a new stadium for so little in comparison to what Vancouver or Toronto would cost).

Or it could be a hardball to the MLS - let me in without single structre entity or I'm closing shop and disappointing thousands of fans in the process.

If Saputo goes back on his word about the stadium in Montreal, I suspect the CSA will bring the WYC back to CCR, which is where it was scheduled to go originally IIRC before Saputo announced his plans for a new stadium.

Have to wonder if he was hoping Toronto wouldn't get a stadium or MLS team and that $27 million would come to him, which, when added to the $15 million he said he would put into the construction of a new stadium, might actually make a bit more sense for the construction costs (as its still tough to figure out how they were going to build a new stadium for so little in comparison to what Vancouver or Toronto would cost).

Or it could be a hardball to the MLS - let me in without single structre entity or I'm closing shop and disappointing thousands of fans in the process.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I

The worst thing is I don't think Saputo has much to threaten the CSA with and is thus making a lot of negative noise for nothing. Unless he has some semi-illegal ways of building the stadium on the cheap is a $15 million dollar 13 500 seat stadium going to be significantly better than CCR?

Yeah, I alluded that in my post as well (which I was typing before I saw yours). Something is not adding up, that's for sure.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I

The worst thing is I don't think Saputo has much to threaten the CSA with and is thus making a lot of negative noise for nothing. Unless he has some semi-illegal ways of building the stadium on the cheap is a $15 million dollar 13 500 seat stadium going to be significantly better than CCR?

Yeah, I alluded that in my post as well (which I was typing before I saw yours). Something is not adding up, that's for sure.

Archived