Saputo playing Hard Ball

An Observer

Why build a SSS stadium in Montreal for 5-6 games (U-20 WC), when grass can be installed at Mcgill? It seats 20,000 and is a great place for seeing the game live. Considering they can pack in 11000 at CCR, I never understood building a new stadium that sat just 13,500.

Just as building a 20K seat venue in TO for 5-6 U-20 games, made no sense as well. I think Saputo was betting that the TO stadia wasn't ever going to get built. And if it does...with an MLS team as a tenant...why bother with an additional 3 thousand seats and the USL?

It's crazy! Just move the big games to McGill.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why build a SSS stadium in Montreal for 5-6 games (U-20 WC), when grass can be installed at Mcgill? It seats 20,000 and is a great place for seeing the game live. Considering they can pack in 11000 at CCR, I never understood building a new stadium that sat just 13,500.

Just as building a 20K seat venue in TO for 5-6 U-20 games, made no sense as well. I think Saputo was betting that the TO stadia wasn't ever going to get built. And if it does...with an MLS team as a tenant...why bother with an additional 3 thousand seats and the USL?

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Go play in the corner, the grown-ups are trying to have a discussion.Even better, go to the garbage topics and go nuts.

Latest word is that RDS will clarify everything tonight (5-6pm on RIS, 6:45 on RDS) but there WILL be a stadium.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Go play in the corner, the grown-ups are trying to have a discussion.Even better, go to the garbage topics and go nuts.

Latest word is that RDS will clarify everything tonight (5-6pm on RIS, 6:45 on RDS) but there WILL be a stadium.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Or I could move to France, the armpit of Europe.

Anyway, we all knew that the price tag was way low for a stadium of this size. The site is terrible, with no public transportation and if Montrealers realise that Toronto has a team playing in a better league and the Impact start to suck again...

They'd struggle to fill Marquette Park, let alone Stade Cheese.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Or I could move to France, the armpit of Europe.

Anyway, we all knew that the price tag was way low for a stadium of this size. The site is terrible, with no public transportation and if Montrealers realise that Toronto has a team playing in a better league and the Impact start to suck again...

They'd struggle to fill Marquette Park, let alone Stade Cheese.

I actually forgot about McGill stadium. In fact this is another very viable option even without natural grass because it has a new Field Turf surface and is having renovations scheduled to be complete in June 2007.

As regards to the me first, anti-Toronto people, while Toronto as Canada's largest city may seem to have more than its share of big projects, I am pretty sure that there is a large deficit between what Toronto pays in taxes to the federal government and what it gets back in terms of federally financed projects. In other words Torontians are paying far more to build projects in other cities than the residents of many of those cities. Vancouver may also be in a similar situation but I think both Moncton and Montreal are receiving far more tax revenues than they are actually paying in taxes.

I actually forgot about McGill stadium. In fact this is another very viable option even without natural grass because it has a new Field Turf surface and is having renovations scheduled to be complete in June 2007.

As regards to the me first, anti-Toronto people, while Toronto as Canada's largest city may seem to have more than its share of big projects, I am pretty sure that there is a large deficit between what Toronto pays in taxes to the federal government and what it gets back in terms of federally financed projects. In other words Torontians are paying far more to build projects in other cities than the residents of many of those cities. Vancouver may also be in a similar situation but I think both Moncton and Montreal are receiving far more tax revenues than they are actually paying in taxes.

While I don't discount the possibility that this is an effort to leverage public funds for his stadium, I find the "He's known about MLS toronto for years" hard to swallow. Andy Sharp declaring CUSL dead and MLS the direction of soccer in Canada is hardly a reason for anyone to change one's business course, and when Saputo declared his stadium intentions, the stadium in Toronto, and the notion of MLS, were laughable farces. Even a month ago the MLS Toronto intiative was dead in the water. You just don't stop running your business because the CSA anounces an intent. And you don't ignore changes in the business environment as they arise. Saputo has done nothing that he should not have in this situation. And I think that once some of you stop to think about it, you'll agree the most absurd thing Saputo could have done was to put everything on hold pending the CSA's exploration of MLS.

Those of us who have our reservations about this whole MLS venture raised concerns about the effect on Montreal and Vancouver. These were either pooh pooh'd or justified as an acceptable cost of the "benefits" of MLS in Canada. Well, this might very well be some those chickens coming home to roost.

In any event, its just not cricket to be casting aspersions about Mr. Saputo who has run a model franchise for the past 4 years and done more for soccer in this country than MLSE has yet to dream of. I hope that this is just an attempt to leverage government dollars for his stadium. But if it is not, we'll just tally it up as a cost of the MLS - acceptable to MLS proponents - and wait for the benefits to reveal themselves in full. Like anything, the costs will be up front and the benefits later on. Its been posed that it will be worth it, we seem to be well down that path, so we are going to find out one way or another in time.

While I don't discount the possibility that this is an effort to leverage public funds for his stadium, I find the "He's known about MLS toronto for years" hard to swallow. Andy Sharp declaring CUSL dead and MLS the direction of soccer in Canada is hardly a reason for anyone to change one's business course, and when Saputo declared his stadium intentions, the stadium in Toronto, and the notion of MLS, were laughable farces. Even a month ago the MLS Toronto intiative was dead in the water. You just don't stop running your business because the CSA anounces an intent. And you don't ignore changes in the business environment as they arise. Saputo has done nothing that he should not have in this situation. And I think that once some of you stop to think about it, you'll agree the most absurd thing Saputo could have done was to put everything on hold pending the CSA's exploration of MLS.

Those of us who have our reservations about this whole MLS venture raised concerns about the effect on Montreal and Vancouver. These were either pooh pooh'd or justified as an acceptable cost of the "benefits" of MLS in Canada. Well, this might very well be some those chickens coming home to roost.

In any event, its just not cricket to be casting aspersions about Mr. Saputo who has run a model franchise for the past 4 years and done more for soccer in this country than MLSE has yet to dream of. I hope that this is just an attempt to leverage government dollars for his stadium. But if it is not, we'll just tally it up as a cost of the MLS - acceptable to MLS proponents - and wait for the benefits to reveal themselves in full. Like anything, the costs will be up front and the benefits later on. Its been posed that it will be worth it, we seem to be well down that path, so we are going to find out one way or another in time.

I'm sure some of my friends in Winnipeg will have a chuckle at this. What is happening to Montreal and Vancouver with the CSA is exactly what Montreal, Vancouver and the CSA did to the Winnipeg Fury, North York Rockets and the CSL in 1992 when the APSL came calling.

Maybe that is what worries Saputo ? Maybe he remembers how championship clubs like the Winnipeg Fury had all their professional contracts ruled void by the CSA, so that clubs like Montreal and Vancouver could load up for the big, new, shiny American league, while clubs like the Winnipeg Fury had their roster stolen from under their nose for nothing.

I'm sure some of my friends in Winnipeg will have a chuckle at this. What is happening to Montreal and Vancouver with the CSA is exactly what Montreal, Vancouver and the CSA did to the Winnipeg Fury, North York Rockets and the CSL in 1992 when the APSL came calling.

Maybe that is what worries Saputo ? Maybe he remembers how championship clubs like the Winnipeg Fury had all their professional contracts ruled void by the CSA, so that clubs like Montreal and Vancouver could load up for the big, new, shiny American league, while clubs like the Winnipeg Fury had their roster stolen from under their nose for nothing.

quote:"We don't want the World U20s to be a success for the CSA since those meanies decided that they would let an MLS team in the country."

Is this guy a five year old crying about a bully?? Who over the age of 5 talks like that?

quote:"Can you imagine what this will be like, having one bigger club taking all of the best players from another smaller club. It hurts the integrity of the game."

Yeah and in case you've been living on mars this happens in every league in every country... go start the communist soccer league if you don't like it.

quote:"We don't want the World U20s to be a success for the CSA since those meanies decided that they would let an MLS team in the country."

Is this guy a five year old crying about a bully?? Who over the age of 5 talks like that?

quote:"Can you imagine what this will be like, having one bigger club taking all of the best players from another smaller club. It hurts the integrity of the game."

Yeah and in case you've been living on mars this happens in every league in every country... go start the communist soccer league if you don't like it.

You have to wonder what real difference it makes to Saputo if his players leave for the MLS instead of, say, Sundsvall, Tromso and Viking in Scandinavia? That's where three of his best players (Gerba, Bernier & Grande) have gone. Actually I don't even think Bernier went to Tromso directly, wasn't he at Moss or Molde or Mildew or some other team in the Norwegian 2nd tier?

I guess he worries that if they play in MLS Toronto it will such a huge success that people in Montreal will follow & support Toronto instead of the Impact. I remain highly skeptical of that, I doubt most Impact spectators care if there's a team in another league playing in Toronto.

The best way to keep those players Joey - join the MLS.

Anyway, looking forward to RDS clearing this up.

You have to wonder what real difference it makes to Saputo if his players leave for the MLS instead of, say, Sundsvall, Tromso and Viking in Scandinavia? That's where three of his best players (Gerba, Bernier & Grande) have gone. Actually I don't even think Bernier went to Tromso directly, wasn't he at Moss or Molde or Mildew or some other team in the Norwegian 2nd tier?

I guess he worries that if they play in MLS Toronto it will such a huge success that people in Montreal will follow & support Toronto instead of the Impact. I remain highly skeptical of that, I doubt most Impact spectators care if there's a team in another league playing in Toronto.

The best way to keep those players Joey - join the MLS.

Anyway, looking forward to RDS clearing this up.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

The CSA does not have money to disperse between three markets.

It has gov't funding specifically for a stadium in Toronto.

It's not like the money for the Toronto stadium came from the CSA afterall. Government commitments were made for a Toronto area soccer stadium.

Is the CSA supposed to redistribute other people's money?

db

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

The CSA does not have money to disperse between three markets.

It has gov't funding specifically for a stadium in Toronto.

It's not like the money for the Toronto stadium came from the CSA afterall. Government commitments were made for a Toronto area soccer stadium.

Is the CSA supposed to redistribute other people's money?

db

Well, I have to say that Mr. Saputo has a point. He's done everything right over the last few years, including:

- develop a rop USL team that has won the league repeatedly,

- provide 6 players mid season for the Gold Cup team in 2005

- buck up his own money for a soccer specific stadium

- build a quality youth system to serve his professional team

and after all these and more, the CSA still throws all their eggs into the Toronto basket.

The problem isn't MLS, or MLSE, or the public money for the Toronto stadium. It's the CSA. In the time it has taken the CSA to get the Toronto stadium going, Vancouver and Montreal announced parks to be built with private money.

And the CSA is behing this MLS Toronto business, like it will save Canadian soccer.

Everyone jump into the ship that isn't even built yet, and no plans have been drawn up, despite the fact that in two other cities, they have the entire framework setup, and it has shown to be successful.

Build the Toronto stadium. That is important. Who cares about the money, the city needs one. And let MLSE go into MLS. But please, CSA stop being involved in everyhing.

But it is MR. Pipe, so should we be suprised?

quote:

Build the Toronto stadium. That is important. Who cares about the money, the city needs one. And let MLSE go into MLS. But please, CSA stop being involved in everyhing.

No offence but that makes no sense. How does the WYC get held in Canada without the CSA getting involved? How does MLS gome to Toronto without CSA being consulted. Lets get real here folks.

Ummm.... was it not FIFA that originally linked the granting of the 2007 WYC to Canada to the construction of a new stadium in Toronto. How was that the CSA's fault?

"please, CSA stop being involved in everyhing"

Good heavens, first they complain because the CSA does not involve itself in the professional soccer scene by letting the Edmonton and Calgary USL franchises collapse for example, then they complain when the CSA does get involved in helping to land an MLS franchise for Toronto. Make up your minds guys!

Archived