Blizzard Petition

Bill Ault

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey G-L, did you miss me!!! LOL

yah, i thought i would take a short hiatus from everything and believe me, i think i didn't miss much. ;)

i took in the ARRRRRGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!! all i have to say is they got it together with these new owners and i can't believe the atmosphere they have created at Teddy's Centre.

i visit time to time and still see the on going feeble T.O. bashing. i still do not see any progress in this sport at the pro level and international level, whatsoever. As much as i'm excited that Toronto (looks like) they are landing a stadia and an MLS team to boot, but in the meantime, i will contain my excitement until i see for my very own eyes a shovel piercing the ground to mark its construction and until Garber makes it official. heck, it is all castles in the sky with some diamonds, for me.

i'm happy for the LimpAact are getting a new stadia, also, for the 'Caps, very well deserving. but once again, the almighty shovel must make its mark or the GOLDEN one will be bestowed upon these groups. LOL

i've had a couple of busy years. i might make an appearance or two until MLS makes its full swing and you'll definitely see my ugly face again. [}:)]

As usual, you are still sharp with your nature and knowledge from reading some of your posts. the voyageur collective should feel honoured to have you in their midst. Now, everyone show some respect and bow down to G-L, hehehe!!!! Hope to hook up some over a pint, bro :D

Guys, here's the latest from Cathal from the Toronto Star. He forward me this E-mail this morning.

Hey Luis,

I talked to MLSE prez Richard Peddie the other day, and told him about your petition. He told me that there would be 'extensive fan consultation' on naming the team, which would then be presented to marketers and branders for a final choice. That sounds a lot like the team's going to be named by marketers and branders. But he said 'Blizzard' was definitely in the mix. Keep the pressure up, and you never know what might come from it. Good luck.

Cheers,

Cathal

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Guys, here's the latest from Cathal from the Toronto Star. He forward me this E-mail this morning.

Hey Luis,

I talked to MLSE prez Richard Peddie the other day, and told him about your petition. He told me that there would be 'extensive fan consultation' on naming the team, which would then be presented to marketers and branders for a final choice. That sounds a lot like the team's going to be named by marketers and branders. But he said 'Blizzard' was definitely in the mix. Keep the pressure up, and you never know what might come from it. Good luck.

Cheers,

Cathal

That seems fair to me.

The website is amazing. What I can't understand is when you have people like Richard, Realgooner, Varsity Tyler, and the other whose name I can't recall coming on this site and tarnishing a great Toronto soccer tradition. The whole concept of Toronto International is a real dumb idea of which has no connection with the past such as those 2 Soccer Bowl appearances (1983-1984).

By the way, Blizzard does have a great historical significance for the city of Toronto. During 1921 and 1999, Toronto was burried under the worst Blizzards. The people of Toronto still recall those years, specially the old folks of 1921. Other than that, "We wanted a name which could be identified with Canada," said Blizzard president Paul Morton, "a name which could meet the perception of Canada held by most North Americans and Europeans. It suggests strength and force, which is what fans look for in a good soccer team."

Luis, just because they don't agree with the name, doesn't mean they are 'tarnishing' the history.

(For the record, I want the new team to be named Toronto Blizzard, but if not, so what? We'll make a new tradition.)

Just as long as you all appreciate this and go to games regardless of the name, then all will be fine. Sorry, the wife already nixed moving to Toronto so I guess I'm left with jetting in for a couple of games per season.

C'mon you Black Squirrels!

BTW, just kidding, I signed your petition as well as a gesture of (some) western goodwill.

According to a student of mine, he has informed that Canada's Fox Television Sports had a feature on the Toronto Blizzard last Saturday. The feature included replays of the 2 Soccer Bowls. The commentators on the show were complimenting the Blizzard for their great legacy that the left behind. Sometime I wonder if these commentators have visited this forum. Has anyone on this forum seen the feature???

Not really too sure on the "Blizzard" name, even though I was supportive of it in the past.

Since the name is not owned by MLSE, we don't know how much they're willing to spend on it?

Is the "Blizzard" name worth $100,000? $250,000? $500,000?

Is MLSE willing to pay for it?

Posted in another thread, it illustrates why the Toronto Blizzard are still well known and respected throughout Europe and the world:

Toronto Blizzard

3/05/80 L Portimonense 2 Toronto Blizzard 1 (Portugal Tour)

3/10/80 L Othanense 2 Toronto Blizzard 0 (Portugal Tour)

5/29/80 W Toronto Blizzard 2 A.S. Roma 1

7/31/80 L Toronto Blizzard 1 Nottingham Forest 3

3/11/81 W Somerset Trojans 0 Toronto Blizzard 1 (Bermuda Tour)

3/16/81 W Pembroke-Hamilton Club 0 Toronto Blizzard 2 (Bermuda Tour)

3/18/81 W Somerset Trojans 2 Toronto Blizzard 5 (Bermuda Tour)

3/21/81 W Bermuda Selects 2 Toronto Blizzard 6 (Bermuda Tour)

5/30/82 W Toronto Blizzard 1 Juventus of Turin 0

7/06/82 L Toronto Blizzard 0 Sporting Cristal 1

7/08/82 W Toronto Blizzard 2 Aris 1

5/31/83 W Toronto Blizzard 2 Nottingham Forest 1

8/07/83 W Toronto Blizzard 1 Benfica 0

8/11/83 T Toronto Blizzard 0 Juventus of Turin 0

4/04/84 T Juventus of Turin 0 Toronto Blizzard 0 (Italy Tour)

4/07/84 L Sampdoria 3 Toronto Blizzard 2 (Italy Tour)

4/10/84 L Inter Milan 2 Toronto Blizzard 0 (Italy Tour)

4/12/84 L Triestina 3 Toronto Blizzard 0 (Italy Tour)

4/18/84 L Livorno 4 Toronto Blizzard 2 (Italy Tour)

5/21/84 L Toronto Blizzard 0 Ajax Amsterdam 1

6/13/84 W Toronto Blizzard 2 VfB Stuttgart 0

6/15/84 W Toronto Blizzard 2 Glasgow Rangers 0

8/05/84 W Toronto Blizzard 2 Benfica 0

8/08/84 L Toronto Blizzard 1 Juventus of Turin 2

?/??/85 ? Toronto Blizzard ? Everton ?

5/18/86 L Toronto Blizzard 1 River Plate 4

8/03/86 L Toronto Blizzard 0 Avellino 1

8/10/87 L Toronto Blizzard 1 Benfica 2

5/06/89 L Toronto Blizzard 0 Flamengo 2

5/24/92 ? Toronto Blizzard ? Inter Milan ?

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Posted in another thread, it illustrates why the Toronto Blizzard are still well known throughout Europe and the world:

Toronto Blizzard

Hey, I've said it thousand of time: The Blizzard name is more popular (historically that is) than any stupid animal name that MLSE may want to throw into the contest.

MLSE won't want this to simply be Toronto's team, they will want this to be Canada's team. MLSE will definetly be hoping to cash in on any possible marketing across our country (ie, sale of jerseys,etc)

People voting for the Blizzard name from outside Toronto reiterates just how well known and respected the Blizzard were right across Canada. That will matter to MLSE.

I suspect MLSE will be doing market research for the Blizzard to name to see 1. how well people really do know about it and 2. how much of a stigma there is to the name, if any, being associated with what is commonly perceived as a failed NASL soccer franchise (even though we know that isn't quite the truth). If they don't find enough of #1 or too much of #2, they won't go with the Blizzard name.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Posted in another thread, it illustrates why the Toronto Blizzard are still well known and respected throughout Europe and the world:

Toronto Blizzard

This game would have been INEX, not the Blizzard so it shouldn't really be in the list.

In 1986, the Blizzard also played a match against Argentinos Juniors. Hector Jr. scored a goal very early for the Blizz but we lost though I don't recall the score.

Re. the last match on the list vs. Inter Milan, it was a bit of a joke. I don't recall the full circumstances but the game was underpromoted, the Blizzard were not initially involved but stepped in to save the Inter Milan match but were scheduled to play the next night vs. Montreal and so changed their entire starting 11 at the half. I know because I had to make the substition announcements.

I had a beer with IM's agent after the match, a very nice Saudi gentleman. I seem to recall that Inter Milan would't give him his plane ticket and left the country without him.

Archived