Blizzard Petition

Bill Ault

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have no particular interest either way in this, but can I offer a suggestion? An online petition is nice, but it's really not enough, if effective at all. The best you can do is write actual letters — not e-mails, but actual written letters, on paper, snail-mailed (or faxed, but I think snail-mail is better).

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I have no particular interest either way in this, but can I offer a suggestion? An online petition is nice, but it's really not enough, if effective at all. The best you can do is write actual letters — not e-mails, but actual written letters, on paper, snail-mailed (or faxed, but I think snail-mail is better).

I agree 100% that letters are important but disagree 100% that email petition are ineffective. An email petition is probably the best way to generate a quick positive (newsworthy) response. Letters make a great second wave, the email petition is quantitative and can generate numbers that impress the media.

Trust me if we get 10,000 (high hopes) names on the email petition it will be newsworthy. 10,000 letters are very nice but also can disappear into a corporate void they have no public face.

The email petition also allows, with permission of course, for us to facilitate communication between MLSE and our petitioners.

JMO

Bill

I can't believe your guys ,I suggested that we contact all our coucelors that apply to those that live in your ward. Not the slightest response.Sickening guys pure sickening. Please smarten up and get organized. This is the only sensible way. Once we have the franchise than worry about the name. Call your councilors find out who they are and make a strong well presented argument as I suggested.Read it and live it,if you want pro soccer and a stadium in this town.Can you believe it that if we would loose the vote I will get back at you and blame you for your inaction. Come on Toronto guys get with it,soccer needs you for thousands of years to go. It's now or nnnnneeeeeevvvvvveeeeerrrrr.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

I can't believe your guys ,I suggested that we contact all our coucelors that apply to those that live in your ward. Not the slightest response.Sickening guys pure sickening. Please smarten up and get organized. This is the only sensible way. Once we have the franchise than worry about the name. Call your councilors find out who they are and make a strong well presented argument as I suggested.Read it and live it,if you want pro soccer and a stadium in this town.Can you believe it that if we would loose the vote I will get back at you and blame you for your inaction. Come on Toronto guys get with it,soccer needs you for thousands of years to go. It's now or nnnnneeeeeevvvvvveeeeerrrrr.

I'll contact my Mississauga councillors right now.

Oh, wait...

This seems to be the one thing most people on this board can agree on...bring back the Blizzard. Someone on a different thread questioned the whole "retro" movement targetted at boomers...but to me, the one thing Canadian Club soccer does not have (compared with the rest of the world) is built in heritage/history.

Bringing back the Whitecap name was a great move in Vancouver, because all those kids that used to go to Empire, are now taking their kids to Swangard, and soon to the downtown digs.

I called the guy in my area and his secretary answered with a lovely English accent.She was surprised to hear from me, I was the first one that called, but said she would pass on my request and than said she would like to see the stadium as well.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

This seems to be the one thing most people on this board can agree on...bring back the Blizzard. Someone on a different thread questioned the whole "retro" movement targetted at boomers...but to me, the one thing Canadian Club soccer does not have (compared with the rest of the world) is built in heritage/history.

Bringing back the Whitecap name was a great move in Vancouver, because all those kids that used to go to Empire, are now taking their kids to Swangard, and soon to the downtown digs.

I guess the Blizzard name will be great.We now have to seperate the time as pre and post I suppose.

I hate to disagree with the statement about history.

Just the other day at a meeting I learned that a Canadian Army soccer team won the English Championship during the first world war.

Prior to that Canada has a soccer history second to none in the world other than England.

I assume that many of our soccer teams and players lost their lives in WW1.

Back to the Blizzard, I wonder if Joe Perolini is willing to give up that name. As I understand it he owns it. Maybe they could call it Blizzard 2

Whatever name they come up with I hope it will have a soccer tradition attached to it.

Maybe we should have a name the team contest and see who will prevail and picked.

Maybe we should have a head start and let's think of a name now.

Toronto Blizzard

Toronto City

Toronto United

Guys, I got wonderful news from Toronto Star's soccer news reporter Cathal Kelly. I've explained to him through an e-mail about our petition. This is what he had to say:

Hey Luis,

I'm going to talk to the guys at MLSE in a couple of days. I'll ask them about it and let you know what they said.

Cheers,

Cathal

-------------------------

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2005 9:41 AM

To: Kelly, Cathal

Subject: Toronto Blizzard (MLS)

Cathal,

We, the soccer fans of Toronto have launched a petition campaign to bring back the old NASL name Toronto Blizzard. What we are trying to do is lobby Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment LTD to recognise the name Blizzard.

Here is the site of our online petition: http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/blizzardsoccer/

To the good-old days

Cheers,

Luis

I'm in the midst of preparing a press release that I will unleash on my contacts as soon as city council approves the stadium. I'm hopeful that by then I can have the web page functioning with a projected site map and sample content - i.e. stats, player profiles, photos etc. I am missing player stats for 1980 and 1981 if someone has them it would be appreciated.

Bill

Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Guys, I got wonderful news from Toronto Star's soccer news reporter Cathal Kelly. I've explained to him through an e-mail about our petition. This is what he had to say:

Hey Luis,

I'm going to talk to the guys at MLSE in a couple of days. I'll ask them about it and let you know what they said.

Cheers,

Cathal

-------------------------

Nice going Luis.

db

quote:Originally posted by john tv

I guess the Blizzard name will be great.We now have to seperate the time as pre and post I suppose.

I hate to disagree with the statement about history.

Just the other day at a meeting I learned that a Canadian Army soccer team won the English Championship during the first world war.

Prior to that Canada has a soccer history second to none in the world other than England.

I assume that many of our soccer teams and players lost their lives in WW1.

Back to the Blizzard, I wonder if Joe Perolini is willing to give up that name. As I understand it he owns it. Maybe they could call it Blizzard 2

Whatever name they come up with I hope it will have a soccer tradition attached to it.

Maybe we should have a name the team contest and see who will prevail and picked.

Maybe we should have a head start and let's think of a name now.

Toronto Blizzard

Toronto City

Toronto United

Has anyone tried contacting

1) Karsten Von Wersebe

2) Diana Stefanovic

3) Joey Pearls

quote:Originally posted by Bill Ault

I'm in the midst of preparing a press release that I will unleash on my contacts as soon as city council approves the stadium. I'm hopeful that by then I can have the web page functioning with a projected site map and sample content - i.e. stats, player profiles, photos etc. I am missing player stats for 1980 and 1981 if someone has them it would be appreciated.

Bill

Bill,

I have the Colin Jose book. I'm sure they are in there so I will pass them on to you as soon as I possibly can, probably later tonight (Sunday).

cheers,

db

Archived