Blizzard Petition

Bill Ault

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

If you doing the latino gig why not just give it the Polish feel there is pleny of us here. Wisla Toronto, ( although "Wisla" is a river" ) Legia Toronto GKS Toronto, Widzew Toronto. The list keep going. This is kinda crazy. How can you name a team A.C. Toronto doen't A.C. stand for something Calcio. How Euro trash is that. If we absolutley have to pick from that list Toronto Athletic will be the best I think.

In English A.C. could and in many instances does stand for Athletic Club.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Toronto A.C. wouldn't be a bad name (much better than A.C. Toronto) and could be shortened to TAC for chanting at games. However, clubs are usually called A.C. based on the clubs status as an athletic club. If this were to be the name I think they should establish some sort of athletic club to legitimize this.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

SoccerCentral reports that "inside sources" say that the name of the Toronto MLS franchise will not be a "traditional North American" name like the Blizzard, so will be a more of a Eurosnob name.

Some I like, some I don't. Just don't name it "United" or "AC" anything!

Watch out for "Toronto City". It appears to be the frontrunner.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

That was a Russian name for the Toronto team. However, it seems as if this forum does not support the Cyrillic alphabet and only lists the code of the different letters. It is post edit because I tried to find an alternative way to print the letters but in the end it is either not possible of too much work. Most people wouldn't understand the letters any better than it is now but it certainly looked a lot cooler in Russian.

This problem drove me bonkers for a long time. The forum does support those characters, because you can see them when you preview a post, but there must be a bug somewhere because things get screwed up once you actually submit the post.

What I finally figured out is that you have to use "& & #" [omit the spaces and quotes] instead of "& #" [omit the space and quotes] in your HTML codes.

Also note that when you edit a post that includes such characters, you have to re-enter all the codes, even if you're not editing those characters and regardless of what the post looks like while you're editing or previewing it. Big pain in the ass.

I think this is what you wanted to post, but I may have made an editing error:

Професси ональный футбольный клуб Торонто (Пфк Торонто)

[Don't quote that last line in another post — it won't work!]

quote:Originally posted by DJT

This problem drove me bonkers for a long time. The forum does support those characters, because you can see them when you preview a post, but there must be a bug somewhere because things get screwed up once you actually submit the post.

What I finally figured out is that you have to use "& & #" [omit the spaces and quotes] instead of "& #" [omit the space and quotes] in your HTML codes.

Also note that when you edit a post that includes such characters, you have to re-enter all the codes, even if you're not editing those characters and regardless of what the post looks like while you're editing or previewing it. Big pain in the ass.

I think this is what you wanted to post, but I may have made an editing error:

П#1088;#1086;#1092;#1077;#1089;#1089;#1080; #1086;#1085;#1072;#1083;#1100;#1085;#1099;#1081; #1092;#1091;#1090;#1073;#1086;#1083;#1100;#1085;#1099;#1081; #1082;#1083;#1091;#1073; #1058;#1086;#1088;#1086;#1085;#1090;#1086; (#1055;#1092;#1082; #1058;#1086;#1088;#1086;#1085;#1090;#1086;)

[Don't quote that last line in another post — it won't work!]

That is what I wanted to post except that professi and onalny are one word professionalny.

OK, I figured it out. Interesting thanks. I'll really have to want to post in Russian again to go through the bother of fixing each letter. It seems that one of the byproducts of the cold war is various fonts for cyrillic instead of a standardized system although I am not sure if that is what is at fault here. Another bug is when you insert a smiley or text size it is often placed at the end of the text. Lately there has also been the problem with quotes causing the actual text to be printed small as well.

So here is my proposal for the team's name. What does everyone think? Is it a winner? ;)

нрофессиональный футбольный клуб Торонто (Пфк Торонто)

Guest HamiltonSteelers

Toronto City would make sense given the monicker trend within the MLS right now... faux names with "Real" who aren't Royal, "United" who aren't united from anything, the name-year one, and the recent rebranding of "FC Dallas". I mean, "City" segues nicely with the soon-to-be-christened AC Philly and Atletico Cleveland (yep, made those up... clever ain't it).

And if they show up in any colour but blue, I'd be certain that the MLS had more to do with the name than anything else 'traditional' about Toronto intact. The fact that there was a team once named Toronto City would more be a coincidence than anything else.

quote:Originally posted by HamiltonSteelers

Toronto City would make sense given the monicker trend within the MLS right now... faux names with "Real" who aren't Royal, "United" who aren't united from anything, the name-year one, and the recent rebranding of "FC Dallas". I mean, "City" segues nicely with the soon-to-be-christened AC Philly and Atletico Cleveland (yep, made those up... clever ain't it).

And if they show up in any colour but blue, I'd be certain that the MLS had more to do with the name than anything else 'traditional' about Toronto intact. The fact that there was a team once named Toronto City would more be a coincidence than anything else.

However Toronto IS a city, so Toronto City would be the least "faux' name of the bunch.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

I'm not disputing the name's validity. I'm just saying that regardless, the trend of MLS club naming conventions, one would think 'City' would be pretty high on the 'next name to be used' list.

I happen to like the name of Toronto City, but its suitibility may be more of a coincidence than an outright appropriateness (erm... I don't know if that's actually a word, but whatever). Though the Blizzard is a far better name... and the Black Squirrels thing still has a nice ring to it.

Archived