Blizzard Petition

Bill Ault

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We need to think outside of the box (and I'm not talking about those cemetery adds popping up on billboards across TO) to come up with a unique and distinctive name.

My team back in England is Tottenham Hotspur and people often wonder how they got the name Hotspur. The story goes that the founders of the club (originally a cricket club) either lived near, or played at, Northumberland Park (and, if you check a street map, you'll see a street named Northumberland Park just north of Spurs ground at White Hart Lane). One of the founders - remembering his school day studying Shakespeare - recalled that the Earl of Northumberland and his son, Henry Hotspur were both characters in Henry IV Part 1 - and came up with the original name, Hotspur FC, later Tottenham Hotspur FC. (Probably not true - but a good story).

Now I'm not suggesting Toronto Hotspur as the name for our MLS team but I am suggesting that type of 'out of the box' thinking. Could there be a Shakespearean character with a link to Toronto? Is there some other literary or historical connection someone can come up with? (And, no, Eskimo Nell is not considered literature!)

Toronto Apparitions (Macbeth) - a good description of the fans we can expect to come out to support our team?

Toronto Archidamus (A Winter's Tale) - what else for a team from Canada - and the Blizzard can be the unofficial fans name for the club!

Toronto Balthasar (The Comedy of Errors) - good link to the stadium situation - CNE >> Varsity >> York University >> Downsview Park >> CNE

Toronto Bastards (Troilus and Cressida + others) - that should get shouts of approval from the ROC

Toronto Clowns (Hamlet + others) - more roars from the ROC

Toronto Silence (Henry IV Part 2) - that should get Doyle and G-Man's vote as descriptive of Toronto fans

On second thoughts, maybe this isn't such a good idea!

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Bill Spiers

We need to think outside of the box (and I'm not talking about those cemetery adds popping up on billboards across TO) to come up with a unique and distinctive name.

My team back in England is Tottenham Hotspur and people often wonder how they got the name Hotspur. The story goes that the founders of the club (originally a cricket club) either lived near, or played at, Northumberland Park (and, if you check a street map, you'll see a street named Northumberland Park just north of Spurs ground at White Hart Lane). One of the founders - remembering his school day studying Shakespeare - recalled that the Earl of Northumberland and his son, Henry Hotspur were both characters in Henry IV Part 1 - and came up with the original name, Hotspur FC, later Tottenham Hotspur FC. (Probably not true - but a good story).

Now I'm not suggesting Toronto Hotspur as the name for our MLS team but I am suggesting that type of 'out of the box' thinking. Could there be a Shakespearean character with a link to Toronto? Is there some other literary or historical connection someone can come up with? (And, no, Eskimo Nell is not considered literature!)

Toronto Apparitions (Macbeth) - a good description of the fans we can expect to come out to support our team?

Toronto Archidamus (A Winter's Tale) - what else for a team from Canada - and the Blizzard can be the unofficial fans name for the club!

Toronto Balthasar (The Comedy of Errors) - good link to the stadium situation - CNE >> Varsity >> York University >> Downsview Park >> CNE

Toronto Bastards (Troilus and Cressida + others) - that should get shouts of approval from the ROC

Toronto Clowns (Hamlet + others) - more roars from the ROC

Toronto Silence (Henry IV Part 2) - that should get Doyle and G-Man's vote as descriptive of Toronto fans

On second thoughts, maybe this isn't such a good idea!

Margaret Atwood has written about Southern Ontario Gothic, the kind of literary tradition that spins tales where there always seems to be a skeleton in the closet of the seemingly respectable family home. This would be a very appropriate way of rendering her a literary homage, as well as being true to the regional character.

So how about Toronto Gothic?

Writes Wikipedia, this time from http://www.answers.com/topic/southern-ontario-gothic:

"Southern Ontario Gothic is a sub-genre of the Gothic novel genre and a feature of Canadian literature that comes from Southern Ontario.

Writers of this sub-genre include Alice Munro, Timothy Findley, Douglas Anthony Cooper, Margaret Atwood, Robertson Davies, Jane Urquhart, Marian Engel, James Reaney, Susan Swan, Graeme Gibson and Barbara Gowdy.

Like the Southern Gothic of American writers such as William Faulkner, Flannery O'Connor and Eudora Welty, Southern Ontario Gothic critiques race, gender, religion, and politics, but in a Southern Ontario context. Southern Ontario Gothic is generally characterized by a stern realism set against the dour small-town Protestant morality stereotypical of the region, and often has underlying themes of moral hypocrisy. Actions and people that act against humanity, logic, and morality all are portrayed unfavorably, and one or more characters may be suffering from some form of mental illness.

Some (but not all) writers of Southern Ontario Gothic use supernatural or magic realist elements; a few deviate from realism entirely, in the manner of the fantastical gothic novel. Virtually all dwell to a certain extent upon the grotesque."

• 2 months later...

I think bringing back "Blizzard" is a HORRIBLE idea. It's reminds us of a failed attempt from the past and just feeds America's stereotype of Canada.

A better idea would be to use a new name and maybe use the Blizzard colours or something less obvious of a tribute than the actual name.

quote:Originally posted by twismca

I think bringing back "Blizzard" is a HORRIBLE idea. It's reminds us of a failed attempt from the past and just feeds America's stereotype of Canada.

A better idea would be to use a new name and maybe use the Blizzard colours or something less obvious of a tribute than the actual name.

Hey!!!!!!!!! Listen dude. You are totally wrong with your statement. In fact, if you would read the history of the Blizzard, the club never folded during the demise of the NASL. It was the league (NASL) that went under rather than the club. Furthermore, the club made it to 2 consecutive Super-Bowls during the last final years of the NASL. The Blizzard contains an amazing reputation of Canadian soccer notoriety history.

quote:Originally posted by twismca

Hey!!!!!!!!! Listen dude. You are totally wrong with your statement. In fact, if you would read the history of the Blizzard, the club never folded during the demise of the NASL. It was the league (NASL) that went under rather than the club. Furthermore, the club made it to 2 consecutive Super-Bowls during the last final years of the NASL. The Blizzard contains an amazing reputation of Canadian soccer notoriety history.

quote:Originally posted by Franky

its true, the Blizzard and Cosmos were left, that were willing to play OUTDOOR version while the remaining starlets, decided to join the rockem sockem INDOOR version, thats was the M....I...S...L...!!!

The Blizzard even investigated playing in the ASL. They really did not want to go into hibernation. They were forced to do so by the other clubs in the NASL that decided to give up (Cosmos excepted).

That's why INEX popped up. They thought they'd fill the gap using Blizzard front office personnel and players but their publicity was pathetic and everyone said "what the hell is INEX" and fair enough. Good team though.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

The Birmingham Bulls and Cincinnati stayed in existance right up until the WHA ended....that hardly makes them successful hockey franchises!

The fact is, the Blizzard survived, barely, and made hardly a dent on the sports scene in Toronto. There crowds were, rarely, even up to the average for the NASL and, I believe, they lost money every year they existed.

Hardly a success story....just a decent survival tale.

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

The Birmingham Bulls and Cincinnati stayed in existance right up until the WHA ended....that hardly makes them successful hockey franchises!

The fact is, the Blizzard survived, barely, and made hardly a dent on the sports scene in Toronto. There crowds were, rarely, even up to the average for the NASL and, I believe, they lost money every year they existed.

Hardly a success story....just a decent survival tale.

Responding to your comments are hardly worth it. You are obviously incorrect with your comments. In fact, everyone knows that the Blizzard had a strong following, especially the H-Block crowd.

Responding to your comments are hardly worth it. You are obviously incorrect with your comments. In fact, everyone knows that the Blizzard had a strong following, especially the H-Block crowd.

From your condescending remarks it is clear that you know more than me....all I remember is that we never led the league in attendance....seldom (ever?) got above the league average and, more often than not, had more empty seats than fans....perhaps you could enlighten me on why/how I am "obviously incorrect". Not everyone knows that the Blizzard were such a success.

TO, do me a favour. Stick your head inside that hole where the sun don't shine and die.

quote:Originally posted by TOareaFan

From your condescending remarks it is clear that you know more than me....all I remember is that we never led the league in attendance....seldom (ever?) got above the league average and, more often than not, had more empty seats than fans....perhaps you could enlighten me on why/how I am "obviously incorrect". Not everyone knows that the Blizzard were such a success.

quote:Is that your response to everyone who does not share your views on subjects? Very mature, very productive.

Talk about productive and maturity!!!!!! Your facts have been so distorting that you come on this board and you invent this notion that the Blizzard were actually an insignificant blur on the radar screen. Buddy, you act like this 15-years old that invents stories out of comic strips. If you want to know about the Blizzard, you have to spend almost 1 hour with me at a coffee shop.

Talk about productive and maturity!!!!!! Your facts have been so distorting that you come on this board and you invent this notion that the Blizzard were actually an insignificant blur on the radar screen. Buddy, you act like this 15-years old that invents stories out of comic strips. If you want to know about the Blizzard, you have to spend almost 1 hour with me at a coffee shop.

surely there has to be a less painful way...so how many people were part of the "H block"?

I spent several years going to Metros-Croatia games and Blizzard games.....I know they were never a great success...just a decent survival story.

Archived