Blizzard Petition

Bill Ault

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd hope for Blizzard as well and think the benefits to the Toronto Franchise would far outweight any cost to acquire the rights to the name. As a new entity in a market that is really remaining to be developed, brand recognition is important. Not sure MLSE will see it that way, but who knows.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by enb17

If the Toronto team was to have a nickname I think the Blizzards are a good choice but I would prefer to use a more signifigant name for the team. My choice is CSC Toronto or Canadian Soccer Club Toronto.

Royal Canadian Mounted Polesmokers. Toronto is world famous for it's strip clubs.

• 3 weeks later...

Got this straight from BigSoccer.com. First of all, I don't believe a single word this idiot has to say for his source is not credible. No one in Maple Leaf Entertainment leaks this type of info to a municipal worker.

..........thats according to my brother in law who lives in TO and is a municipal employee.

He said its FC Toronto or Toronto FC and the nickname will be the Yorkmen. He's a hockey guy, doesn't like soccer, but thats the scuttlebutt he heard on the job.

I have no idea if he's wrong or right but as he likes soccer about as much as poking his eye with stick (...........which is to say not at all) I also don't understand why he'd even be thinking about it unless he did hear it from an outside source.

He just said the team name would be FC Toronto or Toronto FC and they would have an unspoken nickname of the Yorkmen.

Now FC Toronto or FCTO has a certain ring to it that I doubt would inspire a marketing person to genius but who knows.............

Guys, I found this story straight from BigSoccer.com. It was pretty interesting. It was posted by someone by the name of "CANADA". I wonder who he is. Anyway here's the story:

Time for another Toronto Blizzard story, and this one is very recent !

I was doing some on-line Christmas shopping this week, and decided to purchase the wife and mother some Royal Doulton fine china. I had trouble ordering on-line, so simply called the Royal Doulton Canadian outlet in Toronto.

The manager helped me process the on-line order, and when she asked me my on-line password, I was met with stunned silence. You guessed it, she had the same password ! She stated that she and her family used to follow the Blizzard & Whitecaps, and attended many NASL matches in the past.

I told her that Toronto was awarded an MLS franchise and there was a drive to bring back the Toronto Blizzard. She was extremly pleased, stating her husband also used to be a Blizzard fan and all her children played soccer.

Needless to say the Royal Doulton was ordered and she signed the Toronto Blizzard petition.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Guys, I found this story straight from BigSoccer.com. It was pretty interesting. It was posted by someone by the name of "CANADA". I wonder who he is. Anyway here's the story:

Time for another Toronto Blizzard story, and this one is very recent !

I was doing some on-line Christmas shopping this week, and decided to purchase the wife and mother some Royal Doulton fine china. I had trouble ordering on-line, so simply called the Royal Doulton Canadian outlet in Toronto.

The manager helped me process the on-line order, and when she asked me my on-line password, I was met with stunned silence. You guessed it, she had the same password ! She stated that she and her family used to follow the Blizzard & Whitecaps, and attended many NASL matches in the past.

I told her that Toronto was awarded an MLS franchise and there was a drive to bring back the Toronto Blizzard. She was extremly pleased, stating her husband also used to be a Blizzard fan and all her children played soccer.

Needless to say the Royal Doulton was ordered and she signed the Toronto Blizzard petition.

I heard from a woman I was with last week-end that MLSE might go with "Toronto 1852" to give it a EURO feel to the club.

Toronto was founded in 1852.

I personally think the team should be called "Toronto 1992" to give it some sex appeal.

The Sex Workers' Alliance of Toronto was founded in 1992 and they give great head in a safe and clean environment.

And I too order my Royal Doulton NASL collectors plates. If anyone has a Rodney Marsh/George Best Tampa Bay Rowdies/ Ft L Strikers 1977 plate entitled " Washed Up Drunks with nothing better to do"

I'll pay big coin for it.

I could live with Toronto FC, but I'd much prefer it to be SC. When I hear "Dallas FC", I don't think "wicked, that's so Euro!". I think, "eww, that's so Euro." If Italy can call it Calcio, and Brazil can call it Futebol, why can't we call it Soccer and be secure with that? To we actually give a damn what some Euro-snobs think?

I also love the idea of an unspoken nickname. It's very European, but it's one aspect of the Euro game's culture that I would gladly have us appropriate. Having said that, I recall someone on this board suggesting that someone from MLSE had told him that they were gunning for the youth demographic. Given this information, I doubt we'd see an unspoken nickname since that would go in the opposite direction of youth marketing.

I've resigned myself to the fact that there's really not a name out there that I'm ever going to be 100% thrilled with on announcement. This team is stuck between a rock and a hardplace. Any name that takes its influence from North American sporting culture will come off as cheesy. On the flip-side, any name that takes its influence from Europe will be deemed as phoney and poseurish. The best I can hope for as a fan is a name that isn't a complete disgrace.

Having said that, going on this supposed insider information, if my advice was taken into account and the name was changed to SC, and if the petition works and the nickname chosen is the Blizzard, I think we could have a close to ideal name on our hands - Toronto SC (with Blizzard as an unspoken nickname). It's European, but the SC means we aren't going overboard on the Euro-posing, and the Blizzard is very North American but whatever cheese-factor is brings to the table is eliminated by the name's history and the fact that it is unspoken (hence it's a product of the fans, and not just some marketing tool for the kiddies). I think this name is about as perfect a compromise as you are going to find.

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

I've resigned myself to the fact that there's really not a name out there that I'm ever going to be 100% thrilled with on announcement. This team is stuck between a rock and a hardplace. Any name that takes its influence from North American sporting culture will come off as cheesy. On the flip-side, any name that takes its influence from Europe will be deemed as phoney and poseurish.

I agree. But I think using a significant year would be a good compromise ( eg.: 1860 Munich or Hannover 96 or Philadelphia 76ers or Vancouver 86ers) . Problem is what year do you choose? is it Toronto 07 or Toronto < insert year the city was founded>. An equally good compromise would be to give the team one name not using a nickname and base on region or somthing similar ( eg.: metrostars or Golden state). That would be a tough on because now you are look at something like Golden Horsehoe or Upper canada.

Finally some new content for the site:

http://www.canadakicks.com/blizzard/profiles/b_houghton.htm

Profile of Coach Bob Houghton - originally from Soccer Illustrated Magazine.

Just an update on the petition - just over 300 "signatures" obviously a little short of where I'd like it to be by this point but as MLSE starts to ramp things up for the team, I'll attempt to piggy-back on some of their coverage to increase the numbers. Obviously a a little more concerted effort on the site will help as well.

Have a great new year ladies and gentlemen.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

SoccerCentral reports that "inside sources" say that the name of the Toronto MLS franchise will not be a "traditional North American" name like the Blizzard, so will be a more of a Eurosnob name.

Some I like, some I don't. Just don't name it "United" or "AC" anything!

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

SoccerCentral reports that "inside sources" say that the name of the Toronto MLS franchise will not be a "traditional North American" name like the Blizzard, so will be a more of a Eurosnob name.

Some I like, some I don't. Just don't name it "United" or "AC" anything!

This is now complete BS.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The list of suggestions they had included "Toronto Athletics" and "Toronto Rovers", along with "Sparta Toronto" "Athletico Toronto" and a couple of more. They have to be kidding with "Athletico Toronto", since when did we become some latino mecca?

To hell with the Latinos!!! Let's really go Euro. How about Ballsport Gemeinschaft Toronto (BSG Toronto) or Verein f¨¹r Bewegungsspiele Toronto (VfB Toronto). A name noone can understand, how ultra chic is that. Even better

#1055;#1088;#1086;[...]

a team name noone can even read, even the Lynx could not come up with such an ingenious marketing gimmick.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

To hell with the Latinos!!! Let's really go Euro. How about Ballsport Gemeinschaft Toronto (BSG Toronto) or Verein für Bewegungsspiele Toronto (VfB Toronto). A name noone can understand, how ultra chic is that. Even better

#1055;#1088;#1086;[...]

. A team name noone can even read, even the Lynx could not come up with such an ingenious marketing gimmick.

What the hell?

(This is post-edit, too. What was in this post before the edit?)

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

What the hell?

(This is post-edit, too. What was in this post before the edit?)

That was a Russian name for the Toronto team. However, it seems as if this forum does not support the Cyrillic alphabet and only lists the code of the different letters. It is post edit because I tried to find an alternative way to print the letters but in the end it is either not possible of too much work. Most people wouldn't understand the letters any better than it is now but it certainly looked a lot cooler in Russian.

If you doing the latino gig why not just give it the Polish feel there is pleny of us here. Wisla Toronto, ( although "Wisla" is a river" ) Legia Toronto GKS Toronto, Widzew Toronto. The list keep going. This is kinda crazy. How can you name a team A.C. Toronto doen't A.C. stand for something Calcio. How Euro trash is that. If we absolutley have to pick from that list Toronto Athletic will be the best I think.

Well there is the tradition of naming teams after nearby rivers. How about Don Toronto (has a cool kind of mafiaso ring) or Humber Toronto. Then there is the tradition of naming teams after their province like Bayern Munich so how about Ontario Toronto (which could also be related to the lake) or the Toronto Ontarians. Then there is the tie in with a prominent city industry for example the many Locomotive teams so how about the Toronto Financial Consultants and Bankers. Many communist era teams have ties to the police, intelligence agencies or the army. How about RCMP Toronto, Toronto Mounties, CSIS Toronto or Central Canadian Army Toronto. I think Harper would be in favour of the last one.

Archived