DeGuzman Transfers to Deportivo

Grizzly

From the Deportivo website, a four year deal beginning this summer:

Julien Guzman firma por el Deportivo

Jueves 10/02/2005 19:03, canaldeportivo, A Coruña

El Deportivo firmó hoy al centrocampista internacional canadiense del Hannover Julien Guzman de 23 años. El jugador es internacional por Canadá y titular indiscutible en la bundesliga. El acuerdo firmado es por cuatro temporadas a partir de la 2005/2006.

Confirmation of the move from Germany. Same information with a quote from DeGuzman that he is happy that the decision has been made.

Julian de Guzman wechselt von Hannover 96 zu La Coruna

Der kanadische Fußball-Nationalspieler Julian

de Guzman wechselt zum Ende der Saison vom Bundesligisten Hannover 96

zu Deportivo La Coruna. Der Mittelfeldspieler erhält bei dem

spanischen Erstliga-Club einen Vierahresvertrag. «Ich bin froh, dass

die Entscheidung gefallen ist», sagte der 23-jährige Profi am

Donnerstag. Ein Angebot zur Verlängerung des Vertrages hatte er

ebenso wie Offerten aus England abgelehnt. De Guzman war 2002 vom

1. FC Saarbrücken nach Hannover gekommen und bestritt bisher 68

Bundesligaspiele für die Niedersachsen.

It's about time something happened. I was starting to wonder again if he was ever going to leave Hannover. Now we just need Hume to join an optimistic Championship side like West Ham and get into the Prem in couple years. Sheringham and Rebrov at Upton Park have their best days behind them, and Hume could be their Di Canio - a foreigner with flare - for the 21st century. : )

Good for de Guzman though. Here's hoping that he can crack the first team and help Deportivo back to the top of the table next season.

He's not just in the Spanish League at some mid-table performer, but at Deportivo, which is one of the true names of Spanish football. They have a great stadium and a commited fan base.

Although we may not want to seize anymore turbot trawlers while JDG is there. :D

Makes one wonder where Stalteri may end up if he doesn't land a new deal with Bremen. Our two top internationals may both be out of Germany.

Lets hope that DeGuzman as a Canadian actually playing for our team gets as much press playing for a major side as Hargreaves does playing for Bayern. Discounting Hargreaves is this not the biggest club a Canadian has ever played for (by which I mean at the time of the transfer not a club that was previously an international powerhouse 20 or 30 years ago)?

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Lets hope that DeGuzman as a Canadian actually playing for our team gets as much press playing for a major side as Hargreaves does playing for Bayern. Discounting Hargreaves is this not the biggest club a Canadian has ever played for (by which I mean at the time of the transfer not a club that was previously an international powerhouse 20 or 30 years ago)?

Well, to answer that question I think we have to wait for Robert's book on the Canadian connection to the 1895 Aston Villa squad.;)

Any way you slice it, this is an impressive accomplishment. And a real recognition of the man's growing talents.

And I'll have to admit that Spain may just bring out the best in The Guz.

So long that is, as his arse gets up off the pine and onto the pitch.

Ha. Really good news. We'll be able to see as much of him (if not more) on the television with Deportiva as we'd ever see of him with Hannover.

quote:Originally posted by Varsity Tyler

Now we just need Hume to join an optimistic Championship side like West Ham and get into the Prem in couple years.

Hopefully he'll be able to move up with Tranmere as they are just a couple of points out of the automatic promotion places right now. Ironically, the club nobody seemed to want him to join, Preston (which lost Healy and Fuller this year and looked to Humey to fill the spot) are in the playoff picture in the Championship (currently 6th, one point ahead of West Ham :D).

Great move for Julian. I recall Deportivo being involved in Europe not to long ago so we know that this is a very impressive step up for Julian. While the championship of Germany is great place for our Canucks, you cannot beat the opportunity and exposure that Julian will get by playing versus the likes of Bracelona, Real and Valencia. These are just a few of the sides in Spain that truly have international superstar talent

I also think that this a great move for Julian providing that he some quality playing time. If he's relagated to a substitude positiuon, then Im less confident. That being said, this is a young man who loves to press forward, and there is no better league in the world for that style of play then the Spanish Primera. Things are looking positive for our NATS, as more and more transfer rumors have Canadians involved. Can<t wait for the next world cup qualifications especially given the performance of our under 20 team. Good on You DeGuzman !!!

Now we just need the rest of our youngsters to graduate to top league football (though Julian was more or less already there)

Surely Kluka could move up a league once he is done with Brugge; Hutch should do the same in a few years; same with Humey. I hope Nsaliwa works his way into the 1 Bundesliga soon. Peters is at a good place, as is the DeGuzman The Younger.

I'll stick to my firm belief--and it isn't rocket science--that we will NOT advance the quality of our play to the next stage until we have 11 players plying their trade in top-notch leagues.

Deportivo to sign Canada midfielder De Guzman

MADRID, Feb 10 (Reuters) - Deportivo Coruna will sign Canada midfielder Julian de Guzman from Hanover 96 at the end of the season, the Primera Liga side said on Thursday.

Spanish media reported that De Guzman, who has played for Bundesliga side Hanover 96 since 2002, would sign a four-year contract with Deportivo.

"I'm delighted that the decision has been taken," the 23-year-old was quoted as saying on the website of Spanish sports daily Marca.

Canadian international Julian de Guzman to join Deportivo in Spain

HANNOVER, Germany (CP) - Canadian international midfielder Julian de Guzman is leaving Hannover 96 at the end of the season to join Spain's Deportivo La Coruna, the Bundesliga club said Thursday.

De Guzman, who joined Hannover in 2002, will sign a four-year contract with Deportivo. The club is currently 10th in Spain's La Liga. De Guzman's hand was forced when Hannover wanted an answer over the Christmas break on a contract extension. He said no, freeing him to look for a new club next season.

England's Tottenham was also interested in the 23-year-old.

De Guzman had said playing time would be key to his decision, noting Spurs have loaded up in the midfield while 37-year-old Brazilian Mauro Silva, a defensive midfielder with La Coruna, is nearing retirement.

At five foot seven and 165 pounds, de Guzman is a bundle of energy on the ball. He spent time with Marseille's junior team in France before going to Germany to join third division Saarbruecken and then moving to Hannover three seasons ago.

Notes: The Canadian under-17 team tied the Parma under-17 squad 0-0 Thursday at the Beppe-Viola International Youth Tournament in Arco, Italy. Thge young Canadians are preparing for a CONCACAF world under-17 qualifying tournament in Mexico in either March or April.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Hope Julian does well in Spain.Not too far of a journey for him to make the Portugal friendly.

He'll only be moving to Spain at the end of his current season with Hannover, seeing as the transfer window is now closed. But really, isn't Europe the size of PEI? (just kidding)

From http://www.deportivo-la-coruna.com the english language international unofficial depor website.

De-Guzman-Hannover_004.jpg

LATEST NEWS: DE GUZMAN HAS SIGNED FOR DEPORTIVO

Friday 11th February, 2005 -- Canaldeportivo.com has announced the agreement with the Canadian player Julián De Guzmán for the next season. The Hannover midfielder will start his career at Deportivo next summer. His contract lasts for four years and in this form he has became one of the first official reinforcements for the centenario campaign.

Recent rumors appointed that Julián De Guzmán (23) was selected by Lendoiro in order to be the successor of Mauro Silva in the squad. With the rising interest of some English clubs in the Canadian player the president of Depor decided to take actions now. De Guzmán will be the second signing in the last two weeks after the incorporation of Coloccini.

The idea of Lendoiro is to improve the team for Depor's 100-years commemoration with young players that at the same time have a lot of experience. De Guzmán played with the reserves of Olympique Marseille in 1999 and after that he was signed by newly-promoted Hannover 96 in May, 2002. Until now he has played 68 games with the German club. The midfielder also has appeared in 13 national games for Canada during his career and the fact that he has been playing regularly in Europe since the age of 16 confirms his rising experience.

Appreciated for his skills to defend the ball De Guzmán was flattered by German magazines like Kicker. Recently he refused a renewal of his contract with Hannover 96 announcing that he wanted to improve his career. As he told to one German newspaper: "My heart belongs to 96, but I want to develop so I am leaving. It wasn't a matter of money, I only want a new challenge."

Guest Jeffery S.

This is all over the Spanish press today, a great move I am of course very pleased about. I think he will be obliged to improve his game in Spain, with the ball on the ground more and more demands for precise passing.

Deportivo have only been a big squad in Spain for the past 15 years, before that they were eternally 2nd division. On the basis of signing talented players with lower market value they have done well. But they are ageing and need reinforcements.

Mauro Silva could well retire at the end of the year, and Fran, the left side mid, as well. They brought back "Toro" Acuña from Qatar (or Saudi Arabia) but he is not their future. Sergio is in the middle as a player who can go forwards and has a good shot, the Argie Duscher is the midfield destroyer. So he will be required to play both ends in the middle, and the team always aspires to a Champions spot.

The fact that they will reserve a foreign spot for him makes his signing all the more prestigious.

Guest Jeffery S.

Some troubling news from Depor as coach Irureta and it seems many players are upset about the de Guzman signing. As for the coach, he apparently announced he would not continue after this season (he's the longest running continuous coach in 1st Div Spain), but now seems to be backtracking, pending on the team pulling out of the midtable into at least Uefa spots.

He was not consulted on the signing, was the doing of the president Lendoiro (very good at recognizing talent I must say). Thus the Julian announcement makes the coach look like he'll not be involved with next year's squad, even though the decision has not been made.

The players too have protested for the signing to the president, as they feel that with the team struggling, this news could destabilize the team.

Sounds like excuses to me, Fran and Mauro Silva are clearly ready to retire, and they need to build a younger team with limited funds for signing (though at 90 million Euros a year theirs is the 3-4th budget in Spain).

Irueta is clinging on to power and alienating players on a daily basis (Walter Pandiani was kicked to the curb already). They need to start over, they've been pretty poor this year, however a new coach and a new system might not favour Jules either. Under the current system, they play with two defensive mids (the infamous Duscher who broke Beckham's foot in 02 or Silva who was already a veteran when he won the World Cup with Brazil in 94 with all rounder Sergio who's a Spanish version of Torsten Frings, does everything well without really catching the eye) in the centre supporting the playmaker (Valeron, the Spanish Zidane, who can't get a place in the national team ahead of Raul of Real).

Jules would be a natural successor to Mauro Silva and I'd rate him ahead of Duscher or Acuna (of course I'm biased).

Archived