Men's Team From Now On...

DoyleG

You don't want to send the younger lads out to get hammered either.

Sure. Next year at the Gold Cup send a younger side if you want but for the final match get as many of the core bunch together as are willing, including the older veteren players and let them have a go at getting a little payback against the Guats for the Swangard loss. I'll even include Yallop's dynamic duo of Onstad and Watson in that suggestion. A little something for their pride.

Owe them that much wouldn't you say?

Cheeta, I have had to drink a few beers to get over my disappointment of our elimination tonight but have obviously not drunk nearly as many as you have. Onstad and Watson in the Gold Cup??????? After tonight's performance. This is professional sport and while I will give both of them credit for showing up when called, if Onstad wants to be proud then he should make routine saves in the matches he plays. I guess if we want to be really touchy feely we could let him go out in a meaningless friendly against a less dangerous team but Onstad should never start again in an official tournament.

Ooops I guess I did drink more beers than Cheetah and didn't read closely enough. I don't doubt that Yallop will play the two in Guatemala but still don't agree with it. We may be unable to qualify but this will still be an official match in Central America with a full stadium and an intense atmosphere and our young players need to experience this. If we want a testimonial for Watson and Onstad let them play in Canada in a match against a team like Nicaragua or Cuba.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

If we want a testimonial for Watson and Onstad let them play in Canada in a match against a team like Nicaragua or Cuba.

Not trying to be a smart@ss because I feel your pain, my Canuck neighbors, I really do. But maybe a testimonial against Cuba wouldn't be such a good idea. Remember the last time. Also, they tied Costa Rica twice. The only reason that they didn't make your current WCQ group was goal differential.

First off, Onstadt, Watson, and Yallop need to go.

Onstadt and Watson simply cannot get us where we want to go. Onstadt reminds of a 45 year-old guy playing in a weekend rec league (even when he plays well). Watson was never our best option in central defence. I think we would be far better off developing the young defensive talent we have. I would like DeVos to stay involved in the program because I believe he is the appropriate mentor and still plays at a high level.

Yallop, unfortunately, will have to pay the price if we are to retain any credibility for the men's national program. This is simply because that would be expected in any country that takes the game seriously. Bottomline is that the team did not perform when it counted and the coach always pays the price. I don't understand his player selections nor his team organization nor his substitutions. It doesn't make sense to play our best players out of position.

Secondly, I would hope that sponsors and provincial bodies demand a thorough review of the CSA. Something smells and I don't know what it is. The nature of this elimination needs to be considered a shock and completely unacceptable.

On a positive note, we have talented players that are as good as any in Concacaf. The young players continue to develop in volume to a much higher level than before. I still believe that with the right player selection, the right team organization, and the right preparation, Canada was capable of reaching the World Cup in 2006. With the crop of young players who should be playing at a high level during WCQ 2010, there should be no more excuses.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

On a positive note, we have talented players that are as good as any in Concacaf. The young players continue to develop in volume to a much higher level than before. I still believe that with the right player selection, the right team organization, and the right preparation, Canada was capable of reaching the World Cup in 2006. With the crop of young players who should be playing at a high level during WCQ 2010, there should be no more excuses.

Thats tough one to assess. From my observations, it would appear that individually, our players are as talented, if not more talented, as any of our opponents. But its not that big a gap to overcome the many other "off-pitch" obstacles and collectively, we do do not play better than our opposition. When we gain advantage in a game, we are unable to sustain it over 90 minutes. Its as if the players do not trust their teammates and therefore our attacks ( too often) look predictable and easy to defend. Seamingly, having players spread throughout too many different leagues means that they are totally unfamiliar with each other. You see some talent on display but very little colllective creativity and ingenuity.

In otherwords, Yes we do have talent but I disagree with some quotes posted here a few weeks ago stating: " We have too much talent not to qualify". You can never have too much talent. Plus highly talented teams can overcome things like poor preparation, fatigue, etc much more easily.

Although Watson was a workhorse for Canada in the past, his presence this round didn't do Canada any good. Why did he start the games? If anything should have been used as a sub.

The jury is out on Onstad, but I feel that he allowed too many softies past him.

Give Yallop more time.

I don't get why people always say to give Yallop more time. What has he done to prove that he is a good coach? Not much. Instead, he has made a ton of questionable decisions, and most importantly, has failed in his task of getting Canada at least to the hex. Why give him more time? its not like we cant find a better coach.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

its not like we cant find a better coach.

You say that like there is a line around the CSA's offices in Ottawa full of high-quality international coaches begging to be underpaid (by int'l standards) to take a thankless job.

The old guard have to go now. Watson did a solid job and showed a lot of people on this board anyway, that he's still got the goods. I was pretty happy with his performance. Onstad is history too. That should be his last game. He was great filler but he'll never be around for 2010 and we have too many up and comers at Goal. Fernandes, Rayner, Lindley maybe and Karim(must be close to graduating). Bergovic might only be a couple of year away too. Getting knocked out this early might be a blessing. It gives Yallop an extra year to develop these kids into the main squad. Next summer, Canada needs to send the youngest team ever to the Gold Cup. 2010 should start immediatly.

I agree James, we need next summers gold cup team to be filled with the young core of this team, the more they get to play against stiff competition under Yallop, the better they will get. I don't care if that means they lose every game there...Finding a good young goalie to develop is absolutely crucial, and to me is the biggest question mark around this team right now

Yallop,like Osiek and Lenarduzzi before him needs better support from his Association.No one can say that he got that.He can't be the one excpected to arrange friendlies.For any coach to be truly successfull he needs time to have good looks at players and try different lineups.He chose proven vets in goal and backline and experimented a bit with attacking options.I can't blame him for doing that.Sure I would have like to have seen other players brought in but whos to say that they would have done any better?He was able to have good looks at new up and coming talent which all good coaches do,without sacrificing experience.Some of those players such as Serioux,Grande,Peters and Simpson were never really considered by many Voyageurs for first team duty but are now reason for optimism.

I say give him more time for sure.

Disband the men's team. Forfeit the Guatemala game. Let the pros go do their thing in Europe.

That toilet thing sounds right about now.

Give our GC spot to anyone who wants it. Let Frank Yallop run his retirement home out in Vancouver with the 86ers.

Nobody in the CSA gives a shYt anymore. They want to put more time and money into a CFL stadium in Toronto and futsal (so many of us Canadians play that game!!). Let them concentrate on that and the women's game. There's no competition and the press have no clue so they'll come out like roses there. They have shown that they have no f*ing clue how to do anything else now for almost 20 years. We'll have dropped out of the top 100 in FIFA and the top 10 in CONCACAF at the end of this thing.

Leave our pro players alone for a few years, no club vs country, and let the Rat form a team in 4 years or so for the next go round. There is no way in hell that he could do worse.

We get very few opportunities to play away matches in Central America, so we should use this Guatemala match to blood some young players who can benefit from this experience four years from now. I understand the concern about sending them out there to get hammered, but let's keep in mind that the Guats will probably play their bench as well since they've already qualified for the next round and won't want to risk their best players getting unnecessary yellows (which will carry over to the next round.) Whether the Guats finish first or second makes no difference at all in the round robin format of the hex. Also, we have quality veterans like Stalteri and Imhoff who should still be around in four years who can and should step up into leadership roles now to replace the older guys.

Lets not forget that this game may also be an opportunity to cap tie a few young players. Should play a balance between youth and veterans though because we don't want our young players to get used to losing or being blown out in MNT games. Need to develop some confidence within our team.

Andrew , believe me , if the Jonathon Deguzman had shown any interest in playing for Canada he would have been capped at this point already. I believe from what I've heard he's declined the CSA's requests in the past as he is not ready to make a decision yet until his club career is off and running. By that point, he may be good enough to play for Holland. I would like to see it but I think the chances of seeing him play in the Guatemala game are 0%

Archived