Canada-Guatemala Match Thread [R]

Massive Attack

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:- Never mind the offside, I was shocked at the clear back pass that should have been an indirect free kick
If we're both thinking of the clearance the Guatemalan defender shanked back to his keeper, the ref was correct. What matters in the back pass rule is intent, just like handball. Hard to say the guy meant completely shank a clearance back to his keeper.

The offside was so close it was even tough for me to tell on slo-mo. It looked more offside than not to me but when the linesman is assessed, don't think he'll get too much stick over it, it was that close.

quote:- Never mind the offside, I was shocked at the clear back pass that should have been an indirect free kick
If we're both thinking of the clearance the Guatemalan defender shanked back to his keeper, the ref was correct. What matters in the back pass rule is intent, just like handball. Hard to say the guy meant completely shank a clearance back to his keeper.

The offside was so close it was even tough for me to tell on slo-mo. It looked more offside than not to me but when the linesman is assessed, don't think he'll get too much stick over it, it was that close.

quote:Originally posted by Marc

One positive from this game - it sort of puts to rest the playing in Vancouver myth. Full of opposing team fans and 6300 attendance. Outdrawn by Kingston of all places.

I'm not looking forward to seeing what the stands for the Costa Rica match will be like.

Yes, hopefully this will put to rest that myth that you can't play game in toronto because of foreign support and blah blah blah about certain parts of the country being more patriotic therfore is a better place for the MNT's to play in order to ensure a home town support.

One positive from this game - it sort of puts to rest the playing in Vancouver myth. Full of opposing team fans and 6300 attendance. Outdrawn by Kingston of all places.

I'm not looking forward to seeing what the stands for the Costa Rica match will be like.

Yes, hopefully this will put to rest that myth that you can't play game in toronto because of foreign support and blah blah blah about certain parts of the country being more patriotic therfore is a better place for the MNT's to play in order to ensure a home town support.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

It was definitely off-side, you can clearly see the blue player standing ahead of the the red player when the ball was played. It was poorly played by our defense, particularly Stally for letting the player get past him & run down the flank, but it was definitely off-side. You can see Ruiz on the replay looking back at the linesman to see if he got away with being in an offside position and in true Canadian soccer fashion he did.
I agree with sstackho. I don't know if you guys checked your tapes but I did the frame-by-frame VCR thing on the second replay and I think it is extremely close. I'm perfectly satisfied with allowing the goal in this case.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

It was definitely off-side, you can clearly see the blue player standing ahead of the the red player when the ball was played. It was poorly played by our defense, particularly Stally for letting the player get past him & run down the flank, but it was definitely off-side. You can see Ruiz on the replay looking back at the linesman to see if he got away with being in an offside position and in true Canadian soccer fashion he did.
I agree with sstackho. I don't know if you guys checked your tapes but I did the frame-by-frame VCR thing on the second replay and I think it is extremely close. I'm perfectly satisfied with allowing the goal in this case.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I doubt it will because we'll be able to count on you bringing it up.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I doubt it will because we'll be able to count on you bringing it up.

quote:Originally posted by ditty

So you're tryiong to tell me he was trying to put it out of bounds from that position and not pass to his keeper? I think he shanked the pass back. Or he just could be completely useless and wanted to give Canada possession deep in his own end, or surrender a corner.

quote:Originally posted by ditty

So you're tryiong to tell me he was trying to put it out of bounds from that position and not pass to his keeper? I think he shanked the pass back. Or he just could be completely useless and wanted to give Canada possession deep in his own end, or surrender a corner.

Guest Georgio

So much was wrong with this episode tonight and it started with the atmosphere as it appeared from watching tv. I saw huge flags from Guatemala. I saw all the Guats players singing there national anthem with their hands on their hearts with great esteem and determination. I could hear the Canadian supporters but the Guats sure were visible.

We looked like the least patriotic team before the match. Actually I didn't realize that this was what was bothering me untill my wife pointed it out. Maybe I was too excited.

Oh and then the game started. Imhoff is sh*t, thought I'd just get that in there before my disorganized rant. Invisible once again for the umpteenth time he was. The midfield gave the guats 10 yards on the ball in the entire first half. Stalteri looked like an amateur playing against professionals ... oh wait, the reality is the opposite of that ... hmmm. Maybe he's being a little b*tch because he actually wants to be playing midfield. He's in good enough shape, don't give me that crap. Unless he has an injury there was no reason for him to underperform like that. Jazic made nice tackles but was also uninspiring. Watson, well he did all he could do with what is left in his old tired body. Nobody stepped up to lead the backfield in getting them to f*cking wake up. Or getting the midfielders to pressure. No leader on that team tonight, you know the man who is suppose to be in the position to see the whole pitch and give forcefell demanding instruction. I don't expect it from Pizzolito and we all know that Jazic won't be the one cause he's scared or something. So it was up to Watson or Stalteri. But natta!!

De Rosario is such an annoying player at times. Nothing is ever simple with that guy is it?

Simpson had a bad case of crazy legs tonight. He is a direct player but had little direction tonight and his crosses never connected with anyone.

Serioux and Peters played excellent. Occean did some great stuff but man he should have potted that one in the six. Pesch is too slow now but we had no other options.

Why does Onstad look like he should be in a different sport?

Without a doubt. This match should be taken as a swift call to all Western elitists to kindly get off their high horse. No one's saying Toronto would be any better. What we are saying is this - the issue of foreign support is not an Eastern problem. It's a Canadian problem.

I can only hope that of the Guats that did show up, that the majority of them were of the American variety, not Canadian.

Kiss World Cup 2006 Adios!

2-0 loss home to those greasy Guatemalans is absolutely brutal. I thought the back 4 and Pat Onstand was absolutely brutal, The Marking was the ****s in Canadian History.

If there was any promises I thought Oliver Ocean, Josh Simpson, and Jamie Peters played reasonbly well. Occean should have converted. Well I guess things may look promising for 2010 in South Africa....maybe....hopefully.....:([xx(][V]

quote:Originally posted by Joe05

Yeah, I think he was trying to hammer the thing out of bounds. I'm trying to remember the play, wasn't he facing up field when he hit the ball? Plus from what I remember he tried to hammer the thing. The combination of the direction he was facing and the fact that it seemed to squirt off his foot as he cracked it would have led me to allow play to go on if I was in the middle.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

I'll say I'm glad I didn't watch the game.

I taped the match because I had to work tonight. Got home at 11:30, with the game still on. Avoided Sportsnet, the internet, every possible spoiler as I wanted to watch the match in full. Waited until 12 and sat down in high anticipation of a great start to WCQ for Canada.

What I saw was a teams full of guys that are clearly not familiar with each other get schooled by a less-talented team that had played something like 7 matches together over the past 2 months.

What I also saw was a defence that was screaming for its captain to come back. DeVos get healthy now! We are sunk without you!

How much longer is it going to be before the CSA realizes that we CANNOT go into these high pressure tournaments with the kind of "preparation" that we've seen to date? You'd think they would have learned something from the Women's Olympic debacle. Obviously not.

Why couldn't we have played one or two matches over in Europe over the past two months? For the love of God, we had Pizzolitto, Serioux, Simpson, Occean and Peters all trying to establish some sort of cohesion with a bunch of guys they had just trained with for the first time a mere 48 hours before. Yes, we had injuries, but why wasn't Brennan there? And Klukowski? He wouldn't have been worse than Simpson was tonight.

Let me break this down player-by-player (with grades in brackets):

Onstad © - Really wasn't pressed into duty too much, and couldn't be faulted for either of the goals, as one was offside and the other was a terrible blunder by the defence in front of him. That said, when the ball was played back to him he either hoofed it straight into the air or straight into the stands. Poor distribution, although he was good on a couple of crosses.

Stalteri (D) - Perhaps the worst match I've seen him play since he was the Voyageurs' Favourite Whipping Boy. Looked completely disoriented, and appeared as if he just couldn't do anything ith the ease and grace we are so used to seeing. The good news is that I know he will bounce back.

Watson (D+) - Watson is clearly past it at tis level. I know he was put in the lineup for experience, but he was urned around and beaten on too many occassions to count. Is stoill effective on headers, buts that's about it. Thanks for the many good meories Mark, but it's time to hang them up. Needs to go. Now.

Pizzolitto (D) - Inexperience at the international level was exposed in a big way tonight. Was the main reason for the second Ruiz goal, which basically knocked any possible wind out of Canada's sails. Hoofed the ball up field too much.

Jazic (C+) - The best of a terrible back four today, actually had a couple of decent runs up the left side, and didn't really get burned by his man as the others did. As Ed said, had to cover for Simpson a lot, which led to him being caught out of position a few times, although he did well to get back.

De Rosario (C+) - Now I know what the San Jose fans on BigSoccer are always talking about when they say DeRo is frustrating to watch. He couldn't decide whether to shoot or pass on a half a dozen occassions, and ended up in no man's land because of his lack of decisiveness. Still managed to get a couple of good passes in, but he really should have shot that one chance after getting into the 18 yard box.

Imhof © - I don't agree with a lot of the sentiment here, as I thought Imhof got stuck in and was really our best defensive player on the night. looked to pass the ball at all times, and spent all of his energy trying to cover up for the mistakes of the defenders behind him.

DeGuzman (B) - Ran at players, went after them defensively, and really started to become a thorn in the Guat's side by the time he pulled his hamstring. Hopefully his injury isn't too serious, as DeGuzman really is the glue that binds the midfield together.

Simpson (D) - I'll chalk this up to inexperience, but boy did he look lost out there? Perhaps he is burnt out from the incredible whirlwind his life has been the past few weeks, but he didn't have the energy or pace that are Simpson trademarks (from what little I've seen of him). Brennan should have been starting in his place. Simpson is not ayet a starter on this team, but he will be someday soon. Unless he plays like he did tonight.

Occean (B+) - The best starter on the pitch tonight, Occean was not afraid to take on two or three Guat defenders at once, and usually powered his way through them each time. A prototypical target man, but with a bit of skill to boot. Would have gotten an 'A' if he had scored that sitter, but just the fact that he made the keeper drop the cross and give him that opportunity speaks volumes. Occean brings a dimension to our attack that was sorely missing, and hopefully we''ll see him paired up with Radz against Honduras.

Pesch (C-) - Pesch has clearly lost a step, but kudos for him for giving his all for 90 minutes. His corners were so-so, and he really couldn't take on defenders like he used to. A late sub at best when Radz is there.

Serioux (A) - Man of the Match for Canada. His first touch was superb, and he won every 50-50 ball that was near him. Showed some good skill getting around some Guat defenders a few times, and really read the play well. And those throws...

Peters (A-) - Here's a 17-year-old kid that is going on trial with Man U next week and he showed why. Is lightning fast with the ball, run with his head up, is not afraid to take on two defenders at the same time. Unfortunately he is a midget, even next to the miniscule Guats, but hopefully he's got a growth spurt or two left in him. A guaranteed starter for Canada in a few years, if not earlier should the unthinkable happen and we're eliminated from WCQ in this round (again). Can't wait to see a Peters-DeGuzman led midfield for Canada in the 2007 U-20 WC.

Yallop (C-) - Questionable player selection, even if Brennan is trying to establish himself at his EPL side. Why was Klukowsi not there? Surely Hutchinson or Nsaliwa should have been in the lineup. Will HAVE TO redeem himself (and his team) in the next match, or we can kiss Germany goodbye. Some positives are his willingness to try new players out, although WCQ is not the time to do it.

CSA (F) - Once again, ZERO prep for the bread and butter team of the CSA. Schedule a ****ing friendly or two guys! It won't kill you, I promise.

Guatemala deserved to win. They outplayed us in every area of the pitch. I expected Ruiz and some of the midfielders to be dangerous. What surprised me is how well they played defensively. And the keeper, Foster, was rock solid, except for that one cross that he missed which ended up on Occean's feet.

Of the new players for Canada, I thought Serioux and Peters both looked impressive. Peters, in particular, was astounding. Simpson, sadly, looked out of his depth. He kept trying to beat defenders one-on-one but just kept losing the ball doing so. I hope it was just a bad day for him. But I think he basically played himself out of the starting lineup tonight. Occean was so-so. He's good in the air and has a decent shot. But give him more than two touches with the ball at his feet and he is inclined to fumble. Based on tonight's performance, I'd rate him as a decent alternative to McKenna as our fourth striker behind Radz, DeRo and Pesch.

I thought Peschisolido was good in the first half, but he disappeared in the second. Pesch works best when he has a partner to play the one-two with, but there was no interaction whatsoever between him and Occean. Stalteri didn't look like himself at all. I haven't seen such awkward play from him in years. DeRosario was our most effective forward and he wasn't even playing forward. The back four looked terrible, but I think Guatemala's quick forwards would make even decent defenders look bad. DeGuzman was unimpressive for the most part. He showed such promise at the youth level, but he has yet to live up to that potential at the senior level. Peters, at 17, may well surpass him, if he hasn't already.

What I saw in this game were a lot of flashes of good individual play from our players, but no chemistry as a team. The talent is there, but they looked like a bunch of guys who had never played together before. Add to that the poor play by Stalteri, who, along with DeVos, is usually the backbone of this team and you end up with a bunch of weak fish trying to swim upstream against a blue and white tide.

The only consolation I take from this loss was the play of Jamie Peters. That and a feeling that Guatemala are a very well-coached and highly-underrated team, easily capable of beating Honduras if they play as well as they did tonight.

Also, I haven't seen Canada play this poorly since Lenarduzzi was coach, so surely it's got to be all uphill from here.

Archived