Canada-Guatemala Match Thread [R]

Massive Attack

I don't think anyone would need me to state the obviosu again.

The decent performers in my eyes are Peters, Serioux, Occean and Simpson (for effort).

Pesch gets honourable mention and I think DD is a victim of his last few good showings.

Our backs look very vulnerable... ...midfield seems to be lacking bite and control.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's very ugly !! But we have discover good new faces in Serioux, Peters, Occean. Stalteri and Jazic were good, Nevio was average and Watson like Watson. Josh Simpson was awful, miscontrol the ball often and generate nothing. Imhof was invisible, DeGuzman great for 40 minutes and DeRo good. I'm very disappointed with that result.

These kinds of results embarass us as fans. I convinced my family to attend this game "but it's a new team now, they're better!" whatever prep needed to be done wasn't. Missing key starters isn't even an excuse since we were playing against Guatemala, a concacaf country we should own. The CSA as well as Yallop should take responsibility and owe it to the fans to explain what their plan is to improve this team, before we all change our minds and start watching lawn bowling.

quote:Originally posted by jeffymac1971

BTW..,The Guatemalan coach...Holy ****...My G/F said someone must have beaten him with an ugly stick.

I see you noticed the "Primitive one"...The guy is probably the ugliest guy you will ever see but he was an amazing player and the best coach in Central America.

Viva Honduras!!!

Honduras 5

Costa Rica 2

Canada looked very disjointed and unorganized and that's not surprising considering how many changes were made to this squad. As I stated earlier, I'm very excited to see some new faces, but now is not the time. We lost due to our poor preperation. Half these guys have never played together before and they were facing a well-oiled machine in Guatemala.

Serioux gets Man-of-the-Match for Canada.

The team was a joke, the Guats wanted it so much more then the Canadians. It was depressing to see those Guat fans cheering at the end... just kicks the hopes out of ya. Some good promise in some players, they've been mentioned. Think Imoff could be replaced by Serioux. I just can't say more

That was probably the worst performance I have ever seen from a Canadian team in a World Cup qualifier, once you take the fact that we were at home and the opposition was completely beatable.

We looked completely disorganized, couldn't win a challenge on the ground or a ball in the air, not as hungry and out of shape. We weren't sharp in the slightest, and our best players were either not on the field, injured during the game, or not in game shape in the slightest (the latter obviously being Stalteri, who looked as though he could barely pass or control the ball tonight).

Injuries & suspensions aside, the fault rests with Yallop. He might not be totally responsible for the lack of physical fitness & sharpness from our players, but the poor mental preparation has to go down squarely to him - which is what he was supposed to be good at. And that's leaving aside the questionable selections like leaving Brennan & Klukowski out of the squad for no readily apparent reason.

To have to wait four years for this piece of $hit game is just the most cruellest thing you can do to a hard-core supporter.

And just to add insult to injury the usual crap officiating job in Concacaf with the all-important first goal being so obviously offside the mental health of the linesman must be called into question.

The only positive is that if we can be mentally prepared for the return match in Guatemala it should be easy to take 3 points off this crappy team. All we have to do is show up, which isn't what happened tonight.

yeah, that truly sucked big time. When your best chance comes on a throw in, things are crappy. We were lucky that Guatemala was a weaker team. Honduras would have shreded us.

Well, the blame should go towards preparation. The Guatemalans prepared for this for months. We spent two days assembling a team with key injuries.

The only upside is that the group is suddenly on its head with Honduras demolishing Costa Rica in San Jose and Guatemalan taking 3 unlikely points so unlike last time we might have a shot.

The three positives:

Occean, Serioux and Peters

The negatives:

The backline was atrocious. Waton and Pizzolito were too slow. And Craig, please

stop praising your old friend.

Pesch was just not there. I know he was the only option, but Pesch was just not there.

Canada was an absolute disgrace tonight. I pretty much agree with everything you said Gian-luca.I am very disappointed in Yallop as well, but it was very tough for him with the injuries, especially when de guzman went out.

Here are some of my additional thoughts

- Onstad's distribution and control was shocking. Really awful

- de Rosario just didn't know when to pass and when to shoot

- Pesch can't play a full 90 anymore (although, Yallop had no choice)

- Imhoff is luggage. I'd start Atiba in his place. At least he has upside

- Would have loved to have Brennan over Simpson on the left tonight. (especially since Josh looked tired)

- Occean played well, and his miss wasn't as bad as it looked.

- Never mind the offside, I was shocked at the clear back pass that should have been an indirect free kick

- Watson is going to takle a lot of heat, but he wasn't as bad as Pizzolito

- Jaime Peters should start the next game, and I'm sorry for doubting you Nolando.

This was bad. I thought Yallop was supposed to be the guy to inspire this team. They looked disorganized and uninterested. Even guys that ordinarily can be counted on such as Stalteri did not play that well. Onstad looked weak and unaggressive. Watson was wearing lead boots I assume. Pizzolito looked like inexperienced at this level. Having a solid parter in the middle would've taken some pressure off. Simpson showed he's not ready for this level quite yet. Imhoff was invisible. DeRosario needs to be up front. Pesch needs to be someone coming off the bench.

Serioux looked like he belonged in his first A game. Peters has potential, but Canada needs immediate help. Occean looked good and deserves to be back for next game. These are small comforts though.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

There's not much that I can say.

However, although very close, I do not think the first goal was offside. It was VERY well played.

It was definitely off-side, you can clearly see the blue player standing ahead of the the red player when the ball was played. It was poorly played by our defense, particularly Stally for letting the player get past him & run down the flank, but it was definitely off-side. You can see Ruiz on the replay looking back at the linesman to see if he got away with being in an offside position and in true Canadian soccer fashion he did.

One positive from this game - it sort of puts to rest the playing in Vancouver myth. Full of opposing team fans and 6300 attendance. Outdrawn by Kingston of all places.

I'm not looking forward to seeing what the stands for the Costa Rica match will be like.

Truly sad. I have to agree that I don't think that we ever looked this bad under Holger. most of those surprise moves that Yallop sprung on us did not pay dividends. Simpson may have alot of potential but is not ready for this calibre. How could he not have used brennan tonight? Peters and Serioux showed some interesting things but for the most part what I learned from this game is that the a-leaguers are not ready for this kind of competition. Also, I think that Stalteri belongs back in Midfield.

What scares me about this match is that there were periods in the first half where we resembled a team that was coached by the the Duzze. way too many pointless long balls. furthermore, our MF which is supposed to be our strenght, wasn't able to controll the match and creat creat good scoring chances for the fwds.

At this moment, I'm a heck of a lot more concerned with the kind of soccer were playing (just horrid defensive and very little flow and communication on offence) then I'm concerned about the city and attendance this game was played in. You could have played this game in front of 50,000 screaming Canadians in Edmonton and that result would not have been any different. Guatemala came in very prepared and confident, and we came in very under-prepared and way over confident, in fact we looked shellshocked to start the game.

At this moment, I'm a heck of a lot more concerned with the kind of soccer were playing (just horrid defensive and very little flow and communication on offence) then I'm concerned about the city and attendance this game was played in. You could have played this game in front of 50,000 screaming Canadians in Edmonton and that result would not have been any different. Guatemala came in very prepared and confident, and we came in very under-prepared and way over confident, in fact we looked shellshocked to start the game.

Archived