Match Thread: August 18, 2023 - Valour v Atletico Ottawa

narduch

12 minutes ago, Big_M said:

1-3 final

this franchise needs a reset badly...new owner new coach...5 years not one playoff appearance...in any case you just cant keep going with dos santos after this season

New owner means new city unless said owner is building a new stadium. I think Dos Santos the tactician is ok, not worse than a few other managers currently employed in CPL, but I agree he needs to go. 

No fanbase (Edmonton and Vancouver aside) has experienced less success over the 5 years of the league, not even close. This club peaked about 20 minutes into their second ever match.

They've also suffered the two most embarrassing losses, by lightyears, of any CPL teams (8-0 to Calgary, 3-2 this season to a beer league team). 

Edited by jonovision

Time for PDS to go, but is there any reason to believe a new coach will get to bring in better players?

I think fan apathy really sets in after this year.

I've been a STH for FC Edmonton in their NASL days and a season ticket holder for Valour the last few years. I don't think I have any interest in going next year.

4 minutes ago, jonovision said:

New owner means new city unless said owner is building a new stadium. I think Dos Santos the tactician is ok, not worse than a few other managers currently employed in CPL, but I agree he needs to go. 

No fanbase (Edmonton and Vancouver aside) has experienced less success over the 5 years of the league, not even close. This club peaked about 20 minutes into their second ever match.

They've also suffered the two most embarrassing losses, by lightyears, of any CPL teams (8-0 to Calgary, 3-2 this season to a beer league team). 

Probably correct on quite a few levels here but, ouch!!

Just now, Soccerpro2 said:

Time for PDS to go, but is there any reason to believe a new coach will get to bring in better players?

I've been a STH for FC Edmonton in their NASL days and a season ticket holder for Valour the last few years. I don't think I have any interest in going next year.

I don't think having an enthusiastic fan base requires having a good team (see: Halifax) but it sure helps. 

12 hours ago, Soccerpro2 said:

Don't think firing PDS is the answer.  Budget increase is the solution.  Ottawa and Vancouver cleaned house in July.  If PDS could have replaced deadweight (Siaj, Haynes, Novak, Rendon) instead of just adding Selemani Valour would still be in the playoff hunt.  Obviously injures have also hit Valour very hard this season.

14 hours ago, jonovision said:

Probably the best half of football Valour have played this season but 2 gaffes from their best player and it's 2-0. Other than Yesli and Haynes the team has been fantastic.

First half Valuor was the better team.  Ponce, Niyongabire, Guti, Baquero all looked good attacking.  Williams and Rendon (1st start of the season?) were less visible.  Ingham and the goal post handled everything Valour could throw at them.  At the other end Yesli had a nightmare and there was Haynes too.  2nd half subs de Brienne was an immediate upgrade (he even picked up an assist).  Novak, Selemani and Ulloa made no impact, but late sub Sanchez impressed in a more offensive role - forced another great save.

Hopefully the last we see of Haynes.  Could see Murasiranwa getting a run of games.

On the other hand the last 3 Valour home wins are the last 3 games I have missed... maybe it is just me?

1 hour ago, Stoppage Time said:

Saw the highlights. The first two goals allowed by Yesli were - words escape me. At the other end of the pitch, Ingham was excellent.

Ponce needs to practice finishing every day for a year. 50 control and shoot reps at every practice plus extra allotted time.

I think the third was worst of all since it was a failure of positioning and shot-stopping. 

I thought Ponce did fine with his chances except that weird bouncing ball play in the first half where Ingham totally lost it.

7 hours ago, jonovision said:

...I thought Ponce did fine with his chances except that weird bouncing ball play in the first half where Ingham totally lost it.

Like a lot of CanPL players lack of confidence in using his weaker foot to take what should be an easy shot on goal for a pro level player is the issue that is probably being highlighted.