CONCACAF Nations League 2023/2024 - Group Stage & ¼finals - General Thread

And no surprise - Mexico wins on penalties — including taking one penalty three times after the first two shots were saved (though that was correct) and scoring in the 11th minute of added time when nine minutes were to be played. Most CONCACAF thing ever.

I think this means Canada plays T&T in the last-chance qualifier. I believe the matchups are based on the November FIFA rankings, and Canada should be first of the quarter-final losers, T&T will be fourth. 

Edited by Treppy2

4 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I need to read all the rules this game one day.

Two yellows are sometimes not a red?!?!

I believe that penalty shootouts are a new "event" and yellows from the previous event — the 120 minutes of normal and extra time — don't carry over to the new event.

8 minutes ago, scullion44 said:

Keeper should try not being way off his line 

Never seen that called twice in a penalty shoot out. It wasn't that egregious. Reeked of refereeing trying to ensure Mexico wins much like the 2 extra minutes that were played in added time for no reason.

7 minutes ago, rdb9ty said:

Never seen that called twice in a penalty shoot out. It wasn't that egregious. Reeked of refereeing trying to ensure Mexico wins much like the 2 extra minutes that were played in added time for no reason.

No arguments about "refereeing trying to ensure Mexico wins..." but here's an example of a penalty taken three times. Starts at 42 seconds. Think I've seen a couple of other examples in MLS, too.

20 hours ago, Treppy2 said:

No arguments about "refereeing trying to ensure Mexico wins..." but here's an example of a penalty taken three times. Starts at 42 seconds. Think I've seen a couple of other examples in MLS, too.

More extreme example here.

• 4 months later...
Posted (edited)

I assume an identical format for 2024-2025, as was announced from CONCACAF last year.

https://www.concacaf.com/news/concacaf-announces-formats-for-men-s-national-team-competitions-for-the-2023-2026-cycle/

Rankings can be found here:

https://www.concacaf.com/rankings/men-s-national-team/

Which are the League A teams? (March 31, 2024 CONCACAF Rankings)

The top 4:
Mexico
United States
Panama
Canada
----------
----------

The other teams in League A by ranking:

Jamaica
Costa Rica
----------
Honduras