Vancouver Whitecaps FC MLS Next Pro 2023

Watchmen

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/20/2023 at 5:00 PM, SthMelbRed said:

That Grealish sock thing really annoys me, both as a referee and as an old bloke.

I am an old bloke and I always wore my socks down back in the day until the rules changed with mandatory shin guards and such.

On the otherhand, my old-man-yells-at-cloud peeve is with players stretching their socks over the tops of their knees to the bottom of their thighs.  

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

9 players under contract for next year at the moment including 0 keepers. I don't know what the usual amount is at this time of the year, but that seems like too few.

That's normal for MLSNP teams after the season. Half the roster are academy players who don't count to the roster. 

Usually teams will have 1 pro keeper and like 16-20 pro outfield players. With the backup keeper plus another 10 outfielders being academy players. After the season some of those academy players will sign pro deals for the next season (and some will continue on as academy players). Plus the first team will send fringe players down every so often. 

So 9 seems fine. Add on maybe 3-4 academy players getting a deal, maybe 2 MLS draft picks joining then sign like 4ish low level pros to filler contracts and they're at their full roster with the rest being U19 academy players. 

For comparison TFC2 has 6 outfield players and 1 keeper signed. 

Edited by rydermike

Disappointing end to Amanda's return to the club.  Wright is still young enough to get back on track and hopefully his fitness issues are behind him (?).  Sounds likes this is definitely it for Yao, which isn't surprising.  I thought that Hanson would become the first Canadian MLS player from the Yukon (p.r. thing) but now he's gone.  Fry might be able to stick with VFC 

Like a number of others here, I'm not surprised by the turnover.  @rydermike describes it well.

• 3 months later...

Hey Mass, I think you may go to WFC2 matches. Are there any fans at those games, how is the ambience? They are at a utility field at UBC, right?

Just curious as I haven't seen them since they played at Thunderbird in PDL. At least back then there was fan support and you felt that helped, not sure it is the case anymore.

@Unnamed Trialist

Responding to you here from the NCAA thread...

I went to a couple of matches at the beginning of last season, but I wasn't able to attend as many as in years past. Last year the team played at Swangard for most of the season with the final few matches moved to BC Place while Swangard was undergoing some track upgrades.

Whitecaps MLS season ticket holders got free admission to MLS Next Pro matches, but the attendance was usually no more than a few hundred. Family and friends of the players, a few hardcore fans, but no real ambience.

The first 2 home matches of this season will be at BC Place as well, with the team moving back to Swangard after that.

3 minutes ago, masster said:

@Unnamed Trialist

Responding to you here from the NCAA thread...

I went to a couple of matches at the beginning of last season, but I wasn't able to attend as many as in years past. Last year the team played at Swangard for most of the season with the final few matches moved to BC Place while Swangard was undergoing some track upgrades.

Whitecaps MLS season ticket holders got free admission to MLS Next Pro matches, but the attendance was usually no more than a few hundred. Family and friends of the players, a few hardcore fans, but no real ambience.

The first 2 home matches of this season will be at BC Place as well, with the team moving back to Swangard after that.

I was going to go to the L1 finals last summer at BC Place, but did not; I wonder what it would feel like with a few hundred in there only. 

I guess I totally was unaware they were at Swangard. So really Swangard has TSS Rovers and Caps2, so it would stay fairly busy over the summer months.