Cloé Lacasse

red card

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Since Benfica had her rights for another year, this video makes it look like they have made a deal to transfer Lacasse.  A little googling shows that Arsenal were negotiating with Benfica to get her.  I root for the Arsenal men in the EPL, but not for the women because they haven't had any Canadian players.  This would help in that respect.

4 hours ago, rkomar said:

Since Benfica had her rights for another year, this video makes it look like they have made a deal to transfer Lacasse.  A little googling shows that Arsenal were negotiating with Benfica to get her.  I root for the Arsenal men in the EPL, but not for the women because they haven't had any Canadian players.  This would help in that respect.

So you're saying you have lower standards for the men than for the women?

I'm not sure about the lower standards part.  I first started watching cable TV at home as a grad student around 1990.  Soccer Saturday was a new passion for me, and Arsenal were a powerful team at that time.  So, since they showed a lot of their games on the program, I took to rooting for them.  There was no Canadian content in the league back then, so it wasn't a criterion that would have made any difference.  I'm scratching my head here and wondering if it would even make a difference today.  Are there any Canadians currently in the EPL?  Anyway, it's too late to switch allegiances now.  I've stayed firm through a lot of crappy seasons and cynical ownership since then to change my mind over the lack of Canadian players on the team.

The WSL is a different story.  There are a few teams with some Canadian women playing for them, so it makes sense to apply that criterion for that league.  I mostly root for Chelsea because of Fleming, and it helps that SportsNet show their games occasionally.

On 6/25/2023 at 7:09 PM, rkomar said:

I'm not sure about the lower standards part.  I first started watching cable TV at home as a grad student around 1990.  Soccer Saturday was a new passion for me, and Arsenal were a powerful team at that time.  So, since they showed a lot of their games on the program, I took to rooting for them.  There was no Canadian content in the league back then, so it wasn't a criterion that would have made any difference.  I'm scratching my head here and wondering if it would even make a difference today.  Are there any Canadians currently in the EPL?  Anyway, it's too late to switch allegiances now.  I've stayed firm through a lot of crappy seasons and cynical ownership since then to change my mind over the lack of Canadian players on the team.

The WSL is a different story.  There are a few teams with some Canadian women playing for them, so it makes sense to apply that criterion for that league.  I mostly root for Chelsea because of Fleming, and it helps that SportsNet show their games occasionally.

If you did use that criteria back in those days, you might have ended up an Ipswich fan. Dodged a bullet there.

A Canadian footballer's journey: Sudbury to Iowa to Iceland to Lisbon to London

She joins D'Angelo at Arsenal for what is believed to be a record fee for a Liga BPI player. Arsenal manager has previously said they needed someone to provide more support for Blackstenius. But she maybe fighting for minutes with Mead & Miedema. And Arsenal may also sign Russo.

Edited by red card

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2023 at 12:18 PM, BearcatSA said:

Needs to start in the September qualies, not just come off the bench.  She was the one player who impressed at the ill-fated WWC with her appearances off the bench.  Hopefully the Arsenal move translates into a next step for this true late bloomer.

I agree. Not everything came off for her,  but she seemed to be the most willing to go at people and get crosses off from more dangerous positions. I appreciated the energy she brought.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...