Shawn van Eerden

VinceA

2 hours ago, VinceA said:

At the time I found out about him I was interesting in getting him into camp but it's probably impossible. Japan doesn't allow dual-citizenship so he wouldn't be able to become Canada eligible without losing his Japanese passport, and why on earth would he ever do that? The implications go far beyond soccer.

If he's lived in Japan his entire life, no chance he switches allegiances for this exact reason. He's not going to suddenly become a foreigner in his own country to play a few international soccer games.

30 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

If he's lived in Japan his entire life, no chance he switches allegiances for this exact reason. He's not going to suddenly become a foreigner in his own country to play a few international soccer games.

I mean no harm in him coming to train, hopefully Biello extends the invite to drop by the camp

3 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I mean no harm in him coming to train, hopefully Biello extends the invite to drop by the camp

No point in it either. Japan knows a kid is not giving up his citizenship all for international soccer, and if he's good enough to take that massive leap of faith for us, he's probably good enough to play for Japan as well. For it to make sense for him to play for us, he'd have to be good enough to play in Europe, and if he's that good, Japan will call him.

Japan has a very good team, I'm just saying that to play for us he needs to give up his citizenship, and for that to be worth it, if it ever was, he'd have to have a guaranteed future playing internationally for a long time, and if he's that good, you have to think Japan would at least be interested, but again, I don't think giving up the passport to your home country is worth even a guaranteed spot on a world cup roster which is the best Canada could offer.

5 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

No point in it either. Japan knows a kid is not giving up his citizenship all for international soccer, and if he's good enough to take that massive leap of faith for us, he's probably good enough to play for Japan as well. For it to make sense for him to play for us, he'd have to be good enough to play in Europe, and if he's that good, Japan will call him.

He doesn't need to give up his passport to come to a practice... I'm not saying formally call him up, just get him around the group in a Campagna role 

9 hours ago, VinceA said:

At the time I found out about him I was interesting in getting him into camp but it's probably impossible. Japan doesn't allow dual-citizenship so he wouldn't be able to become Canada eligible without losing his Japanese passport, and why on earth would he ever do that? The implications go far beyond soccer.

I wonder what Issey and Paris did for citizenship? Paris lived most of his life in Japan and has now married and settled there permanently, AFAIK.

Stupid and archaic rule, imo, and one that affects my own family quite directly.

Edited by nolando

6 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I think people underestimate Japan's squad and their domestic league. They're producing a lot of talent lately, and you need to be playing top division Europe, or be a standout in the JLeague to make their squad

Agreed. I hate that losing to Japan seems to have been framed as an embarrassing last straw by some in Germany, and in Europe in general. They are a legit top 20 nation in my mind, and have been for quite some time.

8 hours ago, nolando said:

I wonder what Issey and Paris did for citizenship? Paris lived most of his life in Japan and has now married and settled there permanently, AFAIK.

Stupid and archaic rule, imo, and one that affects my own family quite directly.

I think that even when Issey went to Malaysia, there was a rule allowing for Asian Confederation players to be on rosters without having foreigner status. So you are right both somehow benefitted, but a good question.

Issey was born in Canada, Paris in Japan.

Does Japan require you to renounce any other citizenship or passport to become Japanese? Or keep your passport? Or did they simply drag both passports forward after becoming of age and it never was required to renounce one?

Fact is, I think the family also has other passports, the father was both in Zimbabwe to English descent; and they seem to live in Spain on some longterm visa status or maybe even based on pre-Brexit EU.

18 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Japan has a very good team, I'm just saying that to play for us he needs to give up his citizenship, and for that to be worth it, if it ever was, he'd have to have a guaranteed future playing internationally for a long time, and if he's that good, you have to think Japan would at least be interested, but again, I don't think giving up the passport to your home country is worth even a guaranteed spot on a world cup roster which is the best Canada could offer.

This apparently isn’t true. 

https://www.quora.com/Can-I-keep-my-Japanese-and-Canadian-dual-citizenship-even-after-I-turn-20-I-was-born-with-both-citizenships-and-I-am-fluent-in-both-languages#:~:text=If Japan does not have,because Canada accepts dual nationality.

Additionally, he would have had the opportunity to be Canadian since birth. So it’s not like he went out of his way to obtain it. 

Nakajima-Farrans are an example of this. 

Another example proving this is false is Jong Tae Se who took on North Korean citizenship but didn’t renounce his Japanese. 

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

This apparently isn’t true. 

https://www.quora.com/Can-I-keep-my-Japanese-and-Canadian-dual-citizenship-even-after-I-turn-20-I-was-born-with-both-citizenships-and-I-am-fluent-in-both-languages#:~:text=If Japan does not have,because Canada accepts dual nationality.

Additionally, he would have had the opportunity to be Canadian since birth. So it’s not like he went out of his way to obtain it. 

Nakajima-Farrans are an example of this. 

Another example proving this is false is Jong Tae Se who took on North Korean citizenship but didn’t renounce his Japanese. 

Thank you for the info. I was sure this wasn’t the case. If that is the case, then by all means, we should be scouting this guy and seeing if we can give him a shot. He’s playing in the top div right?