What would you want CPL club names to be like?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, DannyFromToronto23 said:

Plz no animals or something stupid in the names 

rather have like a Hamilton United

or FC hamilton 

And there nicknames can be

the steelers or hammers 

I think some animal names can work but I agree. I like the Hammers more than Steelers to be honest.

Naming teams 'United FC' is such a lame way to copy european ideas. Many of the teams that are 'United" in europe was because two clubs united to form one at some point in the past. If a club is being formed on its own, nothing is uniting in that way, it doesn't make sense.

There's a number of AFCs in England from Association Football Club, and also the X Athletic FC's.

I think it would be pretty sick to see one club take on that Athletic FC part.

But overall, yeah, a healthy mix of different names, as long as no stupid animals or gimmicky nicknames.

I positively loathe the idea of a "British" or "American" naming convention. If the league is to be truly Canadian, it should adopt a Canadian naming convention. Ultimately, that doesn't exclude the possibility of United FC, however it should require a bit of creativity and inclusion. 

I would ultimately like to see names that work in both English and French (or that are inherently bilingual), and draw from our immense and often overlooked aboriginal heritage. 

As an example, I'd propose a name like CS Voyageurs Québec with Kwé  - a Wendaké nation word - as their motto. 

Just a thought. 

I honestly don't care at all, with the exception of my preference that it at least has the city/region/province name in it. I hate not knowing (I do know now) where Chivas USA, Golden State Warriors, Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham, (etc., all the London teams) are from. It took me way too long to learn where those teams are from, and that's annoying to me. Even Saskatchewan Roughriders, obviously I've always known they were from Saskatchewan, but it has only been from reading this board obsessively over the last 3 years or so where it has been hammered home that they play in Regina.

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Retro original CSL names wherever possible with the Winnipeg team called the Fury so the quirky Roughriders thing that the CFL used to have can be done in soccer as well.

Even though they were in existence for a short time, Ottawa's team had two names, which could be combined in their (eventual) CPL team's name.  Also, since it's de rigueur to add FC these days, and you could throw in Athletic too, just in case, and since it's in Ottawa, it should be in both languages: 

Ottawa Intrepid National Capital Pioneers Athletic Football Club de Foot Athlétique Pionniers de la Capitale Nationale Intrépide d'Ottawa.  

23 minutes ago, Kent said:

I honestly don't care at all, with the exception of my preference that it at least has the city/region/province name in it. I hate not knowing (I do know now) where Chivas USA, Golden State Warriors, Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham, (etc., all the London teams) are from. It took me way too long to learn where those teams are from, and that's annoying to me. Even Saskatchewan Roughriders, obviously I've always known they were from Saskatchewan, but it has only been from reading this board obsessively over the last 3 years or so where it has been hammered home that they play in Regina.

Chelsea, Tottenham and West Ham are teams from those areas in London.  The alternative would be 13 teams called London Somethings.

4 hours ago, Red Renaissance said:

I would like to see a team name with Reunited! Maybe a team from a city with a team in the original CSL, I think that would be an original twist!

Only if they come onto the pitch with Peaches & Herb à la West Ham & I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles

5 minutes ago, SuperCanuck said:

Chelsea, Tottenham and West Ham are teams from those areas in London.  The alternative would be 13 teams called London Somethings.

Yes I realize that, but it was still an annoyance for me as a foreigner who doesn't know anything about the neighbourhoods of London, or the cities of the rest of England, and I don't think we'll have the problem of having too many teams from one city.

Everton is another one. Is that a neighbourhood in Liverpool? Where does that name come from? Anyways, it's a pet peeve of mine, but far from a deal breaker.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

Yes I realize that, but it was still an annoyance for me as a foreigner who doesn't know anything about the neighbourhoods of London, or the cities of the rest of England, and I don't think we'll have the problem of having too many teams from one city.

Everton is another one. Is that a neighbourhood in Liverpool? Where does that name come from? Anyways, it's a pet peeve of mine, but far from a deal breaker.

Yes, Everton's an area in Liverpool.  Everton were formed there, but moved when they split from Liverpool, so AInfield is actually more in the heart of Everton than Goodison Park is.  

I guess we just look at things differently.  I always enjoyed finding out why teams were named what they are.  I don't mean that in a snooty way, just that we like different things about team names.

43 minutes ago, SuperCanuck said:

Even though they were in existence for a short time, Ottawa's team had two names, which could be combined in their (eventual) CPL team's name.  Also, since it's de rigueur to add FC these days, and you could throw in Athletic too, just in case, and since it's in Ottawa, it should be in both languages: 

Ottawa Intrepid National Capital Pioneers Athletic Football Club de Foot Athlétique Pionniers de la Capitale Nationale Intrépide d'Ottawa.  

This is amazing. I honestly hope the cliché for foreign journalists is that Canadian team names are all 10 - 15 words in length, and are all abbreviated to things like OINCPFCCDFAPDLCNIO. 

6 hours ago, ChrisinOrleans said:

This is amazing. I honestly hope the cliché for foreign journalists is that Canadian team names are all 10 - 15 words in length, and are all abbreviated to things like OINCPFCCDFAPDLCNIO. 

Or "fap" for short.

As others have noted, United is apt if two or more clubs (or cities e.g. KW) combine, otherwise it's ridiculous. I'm not even sure we truly need team names imposed on supporters. E.g. the club Toronto FC are referred to as TFC or the Reds. No extra official name required. I know this approach would be very un-North American so likely won't be widely followed. But, I'd be fine with names like Whitecaps for the waters near Vancouver, or Timbers for the forests of Oregon. Just not something like Columbus Crew.

I still think Hamilton Steelers is a bad name. Let it be something like FC Hamilton and we can call it The Hammers.

20 hours ago, Kent said:

I don't think those clubs in London or Liverpool named themselves in the 1800s or early 1900s wondering if a fan in Canada might not be bothered enough to wikipedia or google the team and find out what district, borough or neighbourhood the club was repping all those years lol.

...and in many cases they were playing in relatively local leagues when they adopted the names they use. I find the recent trend across North America of trying to sound more "authentic" in some way a bit jarring, because it just makes them sound a bit like the Little Carmine character on the Sopranos. Real Salt Lake probably being the most egregious example.

A name like the Blizzard was nothing particularly special, but at least it grew out of Canadian sports culture and has some history to it. Long before Giovinco there was Bettega in the original NASL and with a lot fewer people paying attention Edinho in the original CSL, but some people always seem to want to pretend that Canadian soccer started three years or so ago when they started paying attention, so that kind of stuff seems to disappear into a black hole and people act like it never existed. Hopefully Hamilton given John McGrane is involved would be the Steelers if anything ever actually does happen there after what seems like a decade now of talking about it as that's a name that stretches back over 50 years and has some great history attached to it like having a Juventus legend like John Charles involved. A one year and done thing like the Nova Scotia Clippers is a lot easier to ignore obviously.

Archived