What would you want CPL club names to be like?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 31/08/2017 at 11:29 AM, ChrisinOrleans said:

This is amazing. I honestly hope the cliché for foreign journalists is that Canadian team names are all 10 - 15 words in length, and are all abbreviated to things like OINCPFCCDFAPDLCNIO. 

First it was Toronto, with TV types always referring to them as TFC.  Can't they just be Toronto at least once in a while?  Then along came Man City Jr.  Every bloody TV dufus insists on calling them NYCFC.  What's wrong with saying City?  

Anyway, back to your point, which is what I've always dreamed of, after the old CSL folded and I dreamt of one day having a league of our own again.  Imagine the great chants you could get going with OINCPFCCDFAPDLCNIO!  

Come on, join in:  "We are all... here, OINCPFCCDFAPDLCNIO!  We're by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen...or at least the one with the longest name."

10 hours ago, to70 said:

Personally I would not like to see the overused names like "FC" United or City. Prefer names that are meaningful to a particulae city or region something like Regina Wheat.

FC isn't a name.  It's an attachment on the end of a name.  Toronto's the name of the team, they're a football club.  97.39581% of all clubs with English-speaking fan bases have FC on the end of their names because they're football clubs, and so do some clubs that don't have English-speaking fan bases.  

8 hours ago, marauder01 said:

John McGrane is against the Steelers name...

Did he share that with a fan group meeting? The Ticats went to the effort of securing the trademark about a year ago:

https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/viewTrademark?id=1802329&lang=eng&tab=reg

so regardless of how he feels about it, it appears to be in the running. Even if it's not selected, the history of Canadian pro soccer should be remembered:

Vividly remember watching the Steelers in action in Hamilton, Toronto and London and hope to be able to do that again one day:

If there was less of a fixation on the league having to be fully domestic with no MLS B teams I suspect it would have happened by now, but hopefully things will actually get there in the end in a manner that can be stable and sustained, if the powers that be insist that's the way it has to be.

On 2017-09-02 at 2:35 PM, matty said:

Am I the only one who wants the CPL teams to avoid fanpolls for naming?

I don't really want fans to decide names. But I would be fine with something like the team giving 2 or 3 options, and the people that buy season tickets before a certain date can vote for one.

Hopefully a club is brave enough to use S.C instead of the typical F.C.

All in all I expect clubs to have names that mean something, that have history or a connection with the community they are representing.  Don't just attach a United, some random animal or Real if there exist no historical or geographical context behind it.

4 hours ago, MrSabiondo said:

Hopefully a club is brave enough to use S.C instead of the typical F.C.

All in all I expect clubs to have names that mean something, that have history or a connection with the community they are representing.  Don't just attach a United, some random animal or Real if there exist no historical or geographical context behind it.

I don't think anyone has posted this yet but in regards to Winnipeg, how would people feel if it beared the name Blue Bombers with an SC at the end? It would sort of make the Blue Bombers an athletic club like we see in else where in the world.

7 hours ago, matty said:

I don't think anyone has posted this yet but in regards to Winnipeg, how would people feel if it beared the name Blue Bombers with an SC at the end? It would sort of make the Blue Bombers an athletic club like we see in else where in the world.

I would in no way oppose this. I actually like the idea of clubs borrowing their affiliate name, and it may lead to more success for the CanPL via CFL tickets (and maybe vice versa). 

IE, Alouettes SC in CanPL and MTL Alouettes in CanPL. 

It might be good to tap into shared marketing as well. The new CFL campaign "Diversity is Strength" is simply magnificent, and comes at a critical time in our national discourse. That is all publicity that a future CanPL team would be wise to obtain, and would make tapping into immigrant communities, and audiences that might not normally tune into the CFL come out to a stadium or event. 

On that note, in the case of Hamilton, if the new soccer club is called "Tigercats SC", they may have to distance themselves from their gridiron cousins should they make another boneheaded coaching decision. 

I often wondered whether the possibility of calling TFC the Maple Leafs and using the iconic brands from the NHL ever came up at MLSE board meetings. I suspect probably not as the MLS single entity would then have owned 51% of a franchise that could drain merchandise sales out of their main cash cow. For similar sorts of reasons I think cross-marketing is unlikely where CFL owners are concerned as having separate identities is easier from an accounting and future possible sale to new owners standpoint.

On 8/31/2017 at 1:25 PM, Kent said:

I honestly don't care at all, with the exception of my preference that it at least has the city/region/province name in it. I hate not knowing (I do know now) where Chivas USA, Golden State Warriors, Chelsea, Tottenham, West Ham, (etc., all the London teams) are from. It took me way too long to learn where those teams are from, and that's annoying to me. Even Saskatchewan Roughriders, obviously I've always known they were from Saskatchewan, but it has only been from reading this board obsessively over the last 3 years or so where it has been hammered home that they play in Regina.

Tottenham is a neighborhood so it does have the area it represents in it's name, same with where West Ham was. It would be similar to if there was a York team.

14 hours ago, matty said:

We could have the Blue Bombers Football Club and the Blue Bombers Football Club.

On 9/2/2017 at 7:04 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Did he share that with a fan group meeting? The Ticats went to the effort of securing the trademark about a year ago:

https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdmrks/srch/viewTrademark?id=1802329&lang=eng&tab=reg

so regardless of how he feels about it, it appears to be in the running. Even if it's not selected, the history of Canadian pro soccer should be remembered:

Vividly remember watching the Steelers in action in Hamilton, Toronto and London and hope to be able to do that again one day:

If there was less of a fixation on the league having to be fully domestic with no MLS B teams I suspect it would have happened by now, but hopefully things will actually get there in the end in a manner that can be stable and sustained, if the powers that be insist that's the way it has to be.

I believe  he did, not sure if that opinion has changed, but I seem to recall he was in favor with United as it's also the name of the OPDL team. Regardless though, without question taking that lapsed trademark makes sense, if only from a retro jersey sales standpoint. 

On 2017-09-01 at 3:02 PM, to70 said:

Personally I would not like to see the overused names like "FC" United or City. Prefer names that are meaningful to a particulae city or region something like Regina Wheat.

I like it. The fan club could be The Chaffers, and when a team loses to them they can save they have been 'chaffed'. 

On 05/09/2017 at 6:45 AM, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I often wondered whether the possibility of calling TFC the Maple Leafs and using the iconic brands from the NHL ever came up at MLSE board meetings. I suspect probably not as the MLS single entity would then have owned 51% of a franchise that could drain merchandise sales out of their main cash cow. For similar sorts of reasons I think cross-marketing is unlikely where CFL owners are concerned as having separate identities is easier from an accounting and future possible sale to new owners standpoint.

That fat leprechaun Bettman would never have allowed it.  

Need more options in the poll.

• Numbers only in Base 8 or binary --- 0101001 vs 1100101
  • Geographic Coordinates FC. ---  41.7325° N, 49.9469° W FC  vs  60°54’59″N, 101°57’0″E FC  (think of the songs!)
  • Mob names - Team is dynamically named by season ticket holders every week with a cell phone app depending on their mood - fuck branding

Archived