2017 CONCACAF League

Today is the first day of the new CONCACAF League. A reminder that it's the Europa-ish tournament whose winner advances to the following year's CONCACAF Champions League. The format is home and away knockout rounds, starting with a round of 16. Round of 16 matchups are...

1st Leg - August 1st
Santos de Guapiles (Costa Rica) vs San Juan Jabloteh (Trinidad & Tobago)
Chorrillo (Panama) vs Honduras Progreso (Honduras)

1st Leg - August 2nd
Aguila (El Salvador) vs Real Esteli (Nicaragua)
Platense (Honduras) vs Alianza (El Salvador)
Portmore United (Jamaica) vs Plaza Amador (Panama)

1st Leg - August 3rd
Central (Trinidad & Tobago) vs Arabe Unido (Panama)
Olimpia (Honduras) vs Alajuelense (Costa Rica)
Walter Ferretti (Nicaragua) vs Belmopan Bandits (Belize)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_CONCACAF_League

51 minutes ago, Ansem said:

Alajuelense are the favorites by a mile!

Okay, so as an Impact fan I have seen Alajuelense play before, and they're awesome. They are scary good on the counter. That being said, their coach is Benito Floro, so I'm predicting that they fail to score a goal and are sent home early. 

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

Alajuelense are the favorites by a mile!

I was going to say their first round matchup is the best looking matchup. In the last CCL Olimpia drew with Pachuca at home and only lost 1-0 in Mexico.

Also worth noting, Arabe Unido is the only team in this competition that made it to the knockout rounds of the last CCL.

Round of 16, 1st leg results:

Santos de Guápiles (Costa Rica) 6  - San Juan Jabloteh (Trinidad and Tobago) 2
Chorrillo (Panama) 1 - Honduras Progreso (Honduras) 0
Central (Trinidad and Tobago) 1 - Árabe Unido (Panama) 2
Águila (El Salvador) 1 - Real Estelí (Nicaragua) 0
Olimpia (Honduras) 2 - Alajuelense (Costa Rica) 0
Platense (Honduras) 1 - Alianza (El Salvador) 2
Portmore United (Jamaica) 1 - Plaza Amador (Panama) 0
Walter Ferretti (Nicaragua) 4 - Belmopan Bandits (Belize) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Round of 16 is done. Eliminated teams came from Trinidad and Tobago (2 teams), Honduras (2 teams), Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Jamaica, and Belize. Advancing teams came from Panama (3 teams), El Salvador (2 teams), Costa Rica, Honduras, and Nicaragua.

Quarter final matchups which start tomorrow.

Chorillo (Panama) vs Santos de Guapiles (Costa Rica)
Aguila (El Salvador) vs Arabe Unido (Panama)
Alianza (El Salvador) vs Olimpia (Honduras)
Walter Ferretti (Nicaragua) vs Plaza Amador (Panama)

Quarterfinals are done. Semifinal matchups:

Arabe Unido (Panama) vs Santos de Guapiles (Costa Rica)
Plaza Amador (Panama) vs Olimpia (Honduras)

First legs the week of September 12th, second legs the week of September 19th.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update. Last night in their first leg of the semi finals, Olimpia (Honduras) beat Plaza Amador (Panama) 7-1!

That's all I wanted to say. But I guess I'll mention the other semi final between Arabe Unido (Panama) and Santos de Guapiles (Costa Rica) finished 0-0 after the first leg.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Holy crap. I was just going to come here and update the thread about Olimpia winning the CONCACAF League and I noticed the attendance for their leg of the final was 0. I followed the citation from wikipedia and found this.

http://www.diez.hn/liganacionaldehonduras/1102963-498/concacaf-castiga-olimpia-seis-partidos-puertas-cerradas-honduras

There is video in that link which I watched without sound, and I read a translation of the article, so my info might not be rock solid. But this is what I found out.

In the August 24th quarter final matchup against Allianza (El Salvador) a fan threw a firecracker on the field when players were setting up for a corner kick. You can see the explosion in the video in the link above. A couple of Allianza players (I believe) went down, quite possibly after being hit by shrapnel from the firework (or just CONCACAFing, it's hard to say for sure but there are definitely bits that fly very near the players). Olimpia was then punished by having their next 6 games behind closed doors at a venue of CONCACAF's choosing.

Now here is where a bit of my guesswork comes in. At the very end of the video they show the 4th official holding up a board to show how much added time would be played and it was 5 minutes. Looking at the scoring summary of that game, Olimpia scored at 90+5 to win their home leg 3-1, after they had lost their away leg 1-0. So I am assuming that firecracker was in the 2nd half, and in the resultant time added on they scored at the death to escape defeat at the hands of the away goals rule. That is seriously messed up!!!

So I think Olimpia has 4 more games to serve their punishment in terms of international games behind closed doors.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the final. Olimpia won the final after each team won their away leg 1-0. Olimpia won the shootout.

On 04/11/2017 at 4:54 PM, Grizzly said:

The way the two players fall looks so fake though.

Yeah, I imagine they are CONCACAFing, especially since there is no mention of injuries. But still, that's a heck of a way to lose a game.

Archived