MLS to open an office in Canada

Ansem

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Bad press in Montreal regarding Garber's visit

Translation: Slap in the face to Montreal regarding refusing to organize an All-Star game

A few highlights of the article
  • Chicago was chosen over Montreal. Garber thinks Montreal "needs to do more in attendance". However, according to Soccer Stadium Digest, Chicago is 16th in the league in terms of attendance and Montreal is 8th. Even if you remove the opener at Olympic Stadium, that would still put Montreal at 14th, ahead of Chicago
  • According to the newspaper; Atlanta, Seattle and Toronto would have made more sense than Chicago

USMNT and CanMT would develop more players if all the team in MLS had Montreal Impact training grounds facilities

Piatti is perceived as one of the greatest MLS players in the history of MLS

No expansion in Canada in the short and long term...Not that the CSA would allow it with the arrival of CPL

All-Star game, not anytime soon
  • He mentioned the 375th anniversary of the foundation of Quebec, before being corrected that it was Montreal's 375th anniversary
  • He had promised an All-Star game to Joey Saputo and the Montreal Impact but came back on his words by blaming inconsistencies in attendances...although it's still higher than Chicago
  • Garber wants Montreal Impact to be AS IMPORTANT as the other 2 teams...CFL Montreal Alouettes and...OMG the Montreal Canadiens...He clearly has no clue about the Montreal market...pigs will fly before that happens
  • He made a deal with the Chicago mayor stating that he was doing a lot for organizing events, kids program and building soccer fields for kids. He mentioned Montreal's mayor campaign to bring MLB back to the city...he barely hides his annoyance to the mayor having all his attention on baseball instead of his league
  • The newspaper points out how complex it is to have the true financial picture of the league
  • He wants MLS to beat Liga MX in Champions league...

Conclusion: He's slowly becoming Gary Bettman V. 2.0. He pissed off more people than creating more excitement for the league...

I view all of this with pretty strong ambivalence.  The domestics issue and some others factors tell me that MLS (the league, not our 3 teams) is prepared to do precisely the minimum required to avoid a shitstorm among fans, and nothing more.  To me, this continued ambivalence towards the broader Canadian footy scene can only help CPL.  I know lots of people will prioritize the glitz and regularity of the local MLS club game, but for anyone with strong ties to the national team program and the big picture, CPL will present an enticing alternative as long as we feel like we are getting the short end of the MLS stick.  

Maybe I am a hopeless optimist, but if MLS succeeds and our 3 teams are strong within a strong league, than we win by being a part of it.  But if MLS in Canada (or generally) starts to falter - specifically because of a Bettmanesque attitude to all things north of the border - than CPL will have added inertia to grow within the 3 massive markets currently tied to MLS.  Either way, I think we are good - and part of me wants Garber to continue taking us for granted and treating us like children who don't know any better.

Lets not forget, Don Graber, just like Garry Bettman,  is a commissioner of a proleague.  As such he is accountable to the owners.  The owners hired him and the owners can fire him.  Joey saputo is an owner.  Comissioners will say things on behalf of owners that the owners cant say themselves for fear of backlash or bad PR. 

There is no way he would say something to the media that was not consented to by JS or that JS would disapprove.  Also,  more likely,  JS is using him to send messages that he cant say himself, like all owners do.   JS cant say that he is disappointed in the attendance because he would be devaluing his product.  So if he wants to send a message to his market to step up and support the product, what better way is there than to use a source that the average joe mistakenly thinks is at an arms lenght relation.  Similarly, JS cant be happy when the mayor is lobbying tirelessly to bring baseball back. Obviously JS understands what the extra competition for the sports entertainment dollar (much less in the summer months) would mean for his product. So if he has issues getting the ear of city hall to advance his files through the bureaucracy, he cant be happy that the mayor is pitching and supporting for competors to his business.  What better way than to have Garber send the message that he would love for the opportunity to meet the mayor just as the mayor is tirelessly seeking of the mlb commish. 

I believe its the same with the all star game.  If JS really wanted it, he would get it.  But if he believes it wont sell, the best way to send the message is through the commish.  He cant say it himself. 

Ok, on occasionally, there will be one off's where the odd owner goes roage and the commish has to step in in the interest of all others.  But these kind of interactions will be done in private, not through the media. So all those comments, to me, are messages that JS wants to send, but cant say. 

4 hours ago, Free kick said:

Lets not forget, Don Graber, just like Garry Bettman,  is a commissioner of a proleague.  As such he is accountable to the owners.  The owners hired him and the owners can fire him.  Joey saputo is an owner.  Comissioners will say things on behalf of owners that the owners cant say themselves for fear of backlash or bad PR. 

There is no way he would say something to the media that was not consented to by JS or that JS would disapprove.  Also,  more likely,  JS is using him to send messages that he cant say himself, like all owners do.   JS cant say that he is disappointed in the attendance because he would be devaluing his product.  So if he wants to send a message to his market to step up and support the product, what better way is there than to use a source that the average joe mistakenly thinks is at an arms lenght relation.  Similarly, JS cant be happy when the mayor is lobbying tirelessly to bring baseball back. Obviously JS understands what the extra competition for the sports entertainment dollar (much less in the summer months) would mean for his product. So if he has issues getting the ear of city hall to advance his files through the bureaucracy, he cant be happy that the mayor is pitching and supporting for competors to his business.  What better way than to have Garber send the message that he would love for the opportunity to meet the mayor just as the mayor is tirelessly seeking of the mlb commish. 

I believe its the same with the all star game.  If JS really wanted it, he would get it.  But if he believes it wont sell, the best way to send the message is through the commish.  He cant say it himself. 

Ok, on occasionally, there will be one off's where the odd owner goes roage and the commish has to step in in the interest of all others.  But these kind of interactions will be done in private, not through the media. So all those comments, to me, are messages that JS wants to send, but cant say. 

That is soooo not how it works. 

Saputo is only one owner among 22 or 24? Losing track...

Garber doesn't need all the owners to support him, only the majority of them. Everyone knows that even the Habs owner is small fry in the NHL because Gary is backed by a majority of owners, mostly south of the border, especially the Bruins owner.

So no, very possible that Garber was just being a dick because he could. Most likely, MLS needs cash and hosting Real Madrid at Saputo Stadium versus Soldier Field was not that hard of a choice to make.

With a majority of owners on his side and all of them (except Saputo) wanting to cash in on the overpriced tickets to see Real Madrid toy with MLS all-stars, Garber could easily go to Montreal, troll the entire city and fanbase to justify coming back on his word by blaming attendances, which are higher than Chicago.

Saputo might host PSG one day, but Saputo is small fry among MLS owners.

On 2017-05-19 at 5:29 AM, Ansem said:

That is soooo not how it works. 

Saputo is only one owner among 22 or 24? Losing track...

Garber doesn't need all the owners to support him, only the majority of them. Everyone knows that even the Habs owner is small fry in the NHL because Gary is backed by a majority of owners, mostly south of the border, especially the Bruins owner.

So no, very possible that Garber was just being a dick because he could. Most likely, MLS needs cash and hosting Real Madrid at Saputo Stadium versus Soldier Field was not that hard of a choice to make.

With a majority of owners on his side and all of them (except Saputo) wanting to cash in on the overpriced tickets to see Real Madrid toy with MLS all-stars, Garber could easily go to Montreal, troll the entire city and fanbase to justify coming back on his word by blaming attendances, which are higher than Chicago.

Saputo might host PSG one day, but Saputo is small fry among MLS owners.

If it wasn't JS using Garber as a mouthpiece then I must say that must've been a slap in the face to JS cause seriously what's this guy Garber smoking? He makes the American reporter mentioning the World Cup to Basti look good with his Qc 375 - ignorant.  The Impact were doing fairly well in attendance last year. Sure they crapped on the first home game in the playoffs vs NYRB but that was a 2 or 3 day turnaround. They sold out the Big O relatively quick vs TFC. 

Seriously Chicago looks half empty. NYRB too last game as does Phily so I don't get where Garber is coming from. You can't put a gun to people's head to go watch your product especially when the team on the field is performing poorly. People are not making the coin they used to and can't just throw down $120 on tickets (base price for family 4) and another $40 on concessions without it hurting let alone more than one occasion.  Those are most of JS's clientele- families. There was a report that came out a few weeks ago the average income in Canada has not seen a significant increase in the last 20 years yet everything around us is becoming more and more expensive. 

I won't speak for all but in general in MTL people like to go see winners. Quebecers are generally   emotional people and generally wear their heart on their sleeve. Generally they don't enjoy paying to see their team lose, who would pay to suffer unless your a sadomasochistic? So I'm believing people wanna pay to see a win and if they feel their won't be a win why would they spend that hard earned money?

I think w Drogba they had an international star who was super popular and charismatic and spoke French. If they were to get someone along the same lines the people would come. But even if they didn't if the team wins I'm certain people will come.  Someone like Zlatan would definitely bring bums in seats 

19 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

Here's the MLS promo for this summer's remake:

IMG_5196.JPG

Saputo: I'd like to take his face....*makes overly circular motion around face*...off.

Drogba: *gives confused look* you want to take his face....off?

Saputo: Yeah, eyes, nose, ears....

Drogba: Ah, faaace off?

Saputo: Yes, faaaace off. 

Drogba: Faaaace off.

Montreal Impact to play in Ottawa at TD Place against the Ottawa Fury in a friendly match

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2017/06/05/limpact-jouera-un-match-amical-a-ottawa-1

Interesting quote:

• Nous aurons la chance d'aller jouer dans la région d'Ottawa et Gatineau pour la toute première fois depuis que nous avons joint la MLS et nous espérons voir tous nos supporters de cette région au match.»

Translation:

• We will have the chance to play in the Ottawa and Gatineau area for the very first time since joining the MLS and we look forward to seeing all of our supporters in this area.

Oh, MLS...Better late than never I suppose...Then they wonder why they never conquered Canada...sigh :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Montreal Impact to play in Ottawa at TD Place against the Ottawa Fury in a friendly match

http://www.journaldemontreal.com/2017/06/05/limpact-jouera-un-match-amical-a-ottawa-1

Interesting quote:

• Nous aurons la chance d'aller jouer dans la région d'Ottawa et Gatineau pour la toute première fois depuis que nous avons joint la MLS et nous espérons voir tous nos supporters de cette région au match.»

Translation:

• We will have the chance to play in the Ottawa and Gatineau area for the very first time since joining the MLS and we look forward to seeing all of our supporters in this area.

Oh, MLS...Better late than never I suppose...Then they wonder why they never conquered Canada...sigh :rolleyes:

They never had a reason to, because there was never talks of another league, lighting a fire under them.

7 hours ago, Ansem said:

Interesting quote:

Translation:

They have done much better than anyone ever expected in the three major Canadian cities that the MLS is in. I remember a few city councillors in Toronto who voted against BMO field stating that the new MLS team did not need a new stadium and that there were enough stadiums in Toronto like Lamport or Centennial or even Ether Shiner Stadium where they could play lol all stadiums in the 2000 to 9000 capacity level lol. 

13 hours ago, 1996 said:

They have done much better than anyone ever expected in the three major Canadian cities that the MLS is in. I remember a few city councillors in Toronto who voted against BMO field stating that the new MLS team did not need a new stadium and that there were enough stadiums in Toronto like Lamport or Centennial or even Ether Shiner Stadium where they could play lol all stadiums in the 2000 to 9000 capacity level lol. 

I don't dispute that they have done well in their cities, the rest of the country however, has been a monumental failure

There are no ML

2 hours ago, Ansem said:

I don't dispute that they have done well in their cities, the rest of the country however, has been a monumental failure

There are no MLS teams in any of these other Canadian cities, like I've always said if MLS had put teams in Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg and even Ottawa I'm almost certain they would have done well in the stands with averages of 18 to 20 thousand not a problem in any of those cities. Remember, the MLS is not the NHL or MLB where it's popular all over Canada even in cities with no teams in those leagues, plus these leagues have been around forever , the MLS only since 1996 and it still has to compete with all the other big soccer leagues around the world for interest in Canada, what other pro hockey or pro baseball leagues does the NHL or MLB or even the NBA have to compete against for interest in their respective sports in Canada ? Does say the MLB have to compete with the Mexican pro baseball league in Mexico for interest in Canada? However, the MLS has to compete with the EPL, Serie A, the Bundesliga even Europes Champions League for interest for soccer in Canada. It's not as easy as it looks when you really look at it to simply say the MLS has failed in the rest of Canada when you really look at it.

42 minutes ago, 1996 said:

There are no MLS teams in any of these other Canadian cities, like I've always said if MLS had put teams in Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg and even Ottawa I'm almost certain they would have done well in the stands with averages of 18 to 20 thousand not a problem in any of those cities.

At what cost...especially that for MLS, Canadian soccer is the least of their worries...

43 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Remember, the MLS is not the NHL or MLB where it's popular all over Canada even in cities with no teams in those leagues,

I will challenge any given day anyone saying that soccer isn't popular elsewhere in Canada.

Canadians always liked soccer, there was no one to satisfy the demand. Top tier sells in Canada, not D2 or D3. How's the AHL doing? Basketball's D-League? Triple A baseball? CHL is the world top junior hockey league, can't put them in the same comparison. So MLS clubs couldn't be bothered to play friendlies outside of the 3 markets?

CSL failure doesn't mean Canadians weren't interested. The league did a lot of things structurally wrong that I'm sure MLS used as a "what not to do" template. An incompetent CSA made matters much worse. If CSL was done right and someone competent was running the CSA all those years , we'd be over 3 decades into the CSL, not desperate for year 1 of CPL to start.

59 minutes ago, 1996 said:

plus these leagues have been around forever , the MLS only since 1996 and it still has to compete with all the other big soccer leagues around the world for interest in Canada

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

However, the MLS has to compete with the EPL, Serie A, the Bundesliga even Europes Champions League for interest for soccer in Canada. It's not as easy as it looks when you really look at it to simply say the MLS has failed in the rest of Canada when you really look at it.

MLS doesn't play at the same time as the other big leagues.

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

what other pro hockey or pro baseball leagues does the NHL or MLB or even the NBA have to compete against for interest in their respective sports in Canada ?

Same answer as above, MLS has no EPL or Champions League to compete against. They don't play at the same time. Canadians don't have access to Liga MX (not easily I mean)

On 6/5/2017 at 0:18 PM, dyslexic nam said:

If/when CPL materializes, MLS will have lost me as a steady (merch-buying) supporter.  

they've never had me as one out here in Vancouver with this ridiculous "since 1974" nonsense, and the lack of a blue bar on the Whitecaps chest.

On 2017-06-06 at 2:31 PM, Ansem said:

MLS doesn't play at the same time as the other big leagues.

You are totally right... not counting March, April, May, August, September, October, November, and a bit of December.

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:46 PM, Kent said:

You are totally right... not counting March, April, May, August, September, October, November, and a bit of December.

Was going to make a comment about that a lot earlier but why bother I said, but thanks for pointing that out.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived