MLS to open an office in Canada

Ansem

With the three MLS Canadian team and their academies and the new rule where any players that were signed from the age of 16 I think will be counted as domestic players throughout all of the MLS teams Canadian and American , this will help immensely in giving Canadian players more chances of making an MLS team, which will increase the Canadian player pool for the national team , moreover, any players who came through an non MLS Canadian Academy that is one that is recognized and accredited by the MLS like a Sigma for example will also be recognized as a domestic player throughout all of the MLS teams Canadian and American teams will give Canadian players even more chances to play in the MLS. Of course if the MLS just made Canadian players domestic regardless where they played their youth soccer and were developed like they should have done and still should do from the start, this would be the best solution for Canadian players, however, with these new changes regarding Canadian players you should see a dramatic increase of Canadian players in the MLS in the years to come.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Rheo said:

MLS is a business and wants/needs to make money.  The growing of players is a side effect of the growth.  CPL will be the same as well although with a greater emphasis on growing Canadian players than MLS.

Will they be able to generate the finances needed in cities like Halifax and Saskatoon to have an economic model based on residential academy systems and homegrown player rules? Doubt it. I suspect CanPL would/will reap the benefit of the investments being made by MLS in that sort of regard by providing opportunities for former MLS academy players that don't quite make the grade in MLS terms. A bit like how the ECHL thrives on ex-junior hockey players that were close but no cigar where the NHL is concerned.  

So MLS spends in development but due to shortage of spots, CPL profits in talents while the value of those players are at the lowest, however some of them can potentially develop from good into very good players.

Sounds like a win win

• 2 weeks later...

MLS Statement on USA debacle.... I guess

Well in that statement they do mention Canada and I wonder what MLS will do to help improve CMNT....

Honestly will they really help or is it another let us throw in Canada in it just to make sure we seem to want to help...

If it is for real, since they've opened an office in Canada, that MLS make the move finally to let all CND players to be domestic to improve chances to latch on a different team not CMLS. This would help increase their chances obviously and would help them to be seen by more clubs out of the NA region. Anyways I think their focus will be on USA mainly, but that's fine as well. CSA will need to work on CPL to get our CND players even more opportunities to play professionally. 

I think it will go the other way.  MLS will say f$ck the CDN teams and players, we need to do even more to help the USMNT.  WHo cares about CDN as domestics, MLS needs to do more for american youth development.  Which is why we need the CPL, our own league asap, stop relying on the 3MLS clubs in that US league to try and help with growing the game in canada.  

20 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I think it will go the other way.  MLS will say f$ck the CDN teams and players, we need to do even more to help the USMNT.  WHo cares about CDN as domestics, MLS needs to do more for american youth development.  Which is why we need the CPL, our own league asap, stop relying on the 3MLS clubs in that US league to try and help with growing the game in canada.  

This is my fear with the USMNT failure to qualify.  Any pressure MLS was feeling to advance Canadian interests will get consumed by the American machine and its now ever-present need to be "great again".   And while I doubt Trump cares much for footy, with the level of protectionism and nationalism bleeding into every action in the US right now I wouldn't be surprised if MLS aggressively moved in the same direction.

15 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

This is my fear with the USMNT failure to qualify.  Any pressure MLS was feeling to advance Canadian interests will get consumed by the American machine and its now ever-present need to be "great again".   And while I doubt Trump cares much for footy, with the level of protectionism and nationalism bleeding into every action in the US right now I wouldn't be surprised if MLS aggressively moved in the same direction.

If they want to "protect" their sport they'd be better off to "toss out" Mexican, Honduran, Panamanian and Costa Rican players from MLS, countries that qualified and took a spot rather than us. Canada is small fries in comparison that didn't make it to the hex in the last 20 years and actually have 3 MLS franchises. Obviously 'Merica can't do this, their product would be even more of a zzz zzz and error prone. Don't get me wrong I like watching the Impact play in MLS but you have to admit it ain't easy on the eyes to watch the ability on the field of some of these "Major League Players".

A lot of people here say with the US exclusion from the WC shows how weak MLS is. Well what does it say for those 4 countries that have some of their players on MLS teams?

On 10/12/2017 at 8:30 PM, dyslexic nam said:

That exact same thought has crossed my mind many times over the past months.  Its going to be important, more and more, that canadian clubs demostrate that they are contributing to making MLS viable financially.  If you are making money and making everyone else richer, nobody will touch you and your interests will be heard.  

• 4 weeks later...

soc-mls-cup-seattle-toronto-20161210.jpg

Somewhat ironic choice of picture for a Canadian SUM office article. Should have been obvious that this isn't aimed at selling Revolution merchandise:

"They want more selection and a wider assortment of fan gear for Montreal Impact, Toronto FC and Vancouver Whitecaps FC. Starting next season, that's what you'll see with this new deal."

On November 7, 2017 at 9:34 AM, Rheo said:

New online MLS store for Canada, possible first step of the new Canadian office

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/mls/mls-new-online-canadian-store-fanatics-1.4389062

If this is truly the first major activity of the Canadian office, I find it hard to interpret the opening of a merch store as an effort to support Canadian footy.  It feels a lot more like being milked (and not in a fun way) by MLS head office.

The absence of an office for over ten years after TFC's launch and the timing of the opening point heavily towards the joint World Cup bid being a factor given SUM are already heavily involved with both the USSF and FMF and the three MLS franchises are likely to effectively be the Canadian hosts in terms of the stadia and/or training facilities that will be used.

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

The absence of an office for over ten years after TFC's launch and the timing of the opening point heavily towards the joint World Cup bid being a factor given SUM are already heavily involved with both the USSF and FMF and the three MLS franchises are likely to effectively be the Canadian hosts in terms of the stadia and/or training facilities that will be used.

I think the timing of the opening point heavily towards the emergence of CPL and MLS having a "Holy shit/WTF" moment when they realized that they wouldn't be unchallenged in Canada like NHL, MLB and NBA are at the moment. Just like them, they felt they were the "default" league for Canadians to follow... boy were they wrong

I think it's just MLS realizing they're undeserving the Canadian market, especially given last year's playoff runs and TV numbers.  There's a lot of money up here and they're taking steps to try and up their piece of the pie.  However these things (deal with Fanatics, websites, Canadian office, etc) take time and don't happen overnight (ie CanPL) and they're making moves to rectify the hole in this market.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

I think the timing of the opening point heavily towards the emergence of CPL...

Meanwhile, there has been no launch to coincide with WC2018 and things have gone very quiet in some of the cities like K/W and Halifax, and PB has been talking about having a business model that works in cities as small as 200k. I seriously doubt that they see CPL as some sort of existential threat for their Canadian operations at this point. More of a minor nuisance in ticket sales and player recruitment terms if teams get too close to them geographically and/or a possible place to put a II or III type team, if it can somehow be agreed upon. It would be a different story if CPL were talking in terms of a CFL scale of operations with 20,000+ seater stadiums only and scope for Giovinco style DP signings, and if the solo bid scenario could have happened with the promise of access down the road to infrastructure money and a Canada only legacy fund, who knows what might have happened. The league we used to be told about in podcasts and blogs was significantly closer to that scenario than the one that is trying to put the pieces together for a launch tight now as can be seen from how it is a pop-up in a fairground in Saskatoon rather than Mosaic Stadium that is likely to be the venue initially in Saskatchewan.

19 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I seriously doubt that they see CPL as some sort of existential threat for their Canadian operations at this point.

Of course not, but a potential lose of monopoly

More of a minor nuisance in ticket sales and player recruitment terms if teams get too close to them geographically

A loss of monopoly is more than a "nuisance". Bill Manning overreaction showed as much.

a possible place to put a II or III type team, if it can somehow be agreed upon.

No

It would be a different story if CPL were talking in terms of a CFL scale of operations with 20,000+ seater stadiums only and scope for Giovinco style DP signings, and if the solo bid scenario could have happened with the promise of access down the road to infrastructure money and a Canada only legacy fund, who knows what might have happened. The league we used to be told about in podcasts and blogs was significantly closer to that scenario than the one that is trying to put the pieces together for a launch tight now as can be seen from how it is a pop-up in a fairground in Saskatoon rather than Mosaic Stadium that is likely to be the venue initially in Saskatchewan.

You're too smart to not understand what I'm saying here. Losing a monopoly is much worse than a "nuisance". It's a barrier to potential growth. Rightfully so, they thought they would be like the NHL, MLB and NBA in Canada. There's no other leagues so in their minds, Canada belonged to them.

When the WHA came out, the NHL pretty much lost their shit until they merged with them and killed it.

At least the other leagues actually try to draw fans outside of their teams markets, but MLS has been procrastinating for a decade after TFC arrival. That is a huge business mistake as they pretty much surrendered 2/3 of the Canadian market to CPL while that last third will be challenged by CPL down the road. It's really kind of too late to try to convince people in the Prairies and Maritimes to give a damn about your league...should have been done within the past 10 years.

No one's saying they will bankrupt or get in trouble, but no businesses likes losing a monopoly which limits the potential growth you can achieve over the long term. Also, it forces said business to spend more in terms of marketing to appeal to consumers. Can we agree that MLS didn't need to do that up until now? So yes, the timing in my mind remains CPL linked but the league will never admit it.

33 minutes ago, Ansem said:

...That is a huge business mistake as they pretty much surrendered 2/3 of the Canadian market to CPL ...

Did they? Think you are significantly underestimating the population that falls into the three catchments if you consider who is within about 90 minutes drive or so. They arguably cater to around half of the population in terms of people being a reasonable driving distance from the live experience and it remains to be seen how much broadcasting interest there will ever be in a second lower budget league in a Canadian context where couch potato types are concerned. Have seen it claimed that the NASL is getting about 5000 viewers per game on Bein Sports at the moment. Viewer interest usually homes in on what is seen as the highest standard rather than who plays locally, which is why even MLS struggles a bit on ratings given higher quality overseas leagues are easy to access nowadays.

The bottom line is that MLS have made it clear that they have the three Canadian markets they wanted in a probable eventual 32 team league overall. I suspect they would have preferred not to have teams operating in Hamilton and Surrey as those are a bit too close for comfort and could drain away some ticket sales, but I seriously doubt they see the likes of Halifax, Winnipeg, Saskatoon and Edmonton as lost opportunities and probably in big picture terms they are happy to have lower budget pro teams functioning there as it strengthens the sport overall and fills in the gaps they inevitably can't cover with an eventual 32 teams or so for an entire continent sized landmass.

20 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Did they? Think you are significantly underestimating the population that falls into the three catchments if you consider who is within about 90 minutes drive or so.

I'll play

• GTA: 6.4M
  • Montreal Metro: 4M
  • Metro Vancouver: 2.4M
  • Canada's population: 36M
  • 35% of Canadians lives in the 3 metro areas

And I'm being generous here. I know for a fact that Montreal Impact does not have Montreal Metro in their pockets and that came straight from Joey Saputo's mouth. TV ratings and inconsistent attendance proves as much. There's little interest in MLS outside of Montreal Island. Fact.

Although I counted the GTA and Metro Vancouver, safe to say the same somewhat applies like Montreal.

You're overestimating how much of the 3 metros area cares for MLS.

They arguably cater to around half of the population in terms of people being a reasonable driving distance from the live experience

Perhaps they are within reach of half the population but they are leagues from winning all of them over, otherwise, please explain why TV ratings are so low?

Viewer interest usually homes in on what is seen as the highest standard, which is why even MLS struggles a bit on ratings given overseas leagues are easy to access nowadays.

Yet the CFL has impressive attendances and viewership despite the far superior NFL being next door. Surely their marketing department must be doing something right to sell the product at home? Think that perhaps CPL will be taking a few notes espacially when 2 of the confirmed owners are from the same league...no?

I seriously doubt they see the likes of Halifax, Winnipeg, Saskatoon and Edmonton as lost opportunities and probably in big picture terms they are happy to have lower budget pro teams functioning there as it strengthens the sport overall in fills in the gaps they inevitably can't cover with an eventual 32 teams or so for an entire continent sized landmass.

That's not what's being taught in business school, I assure you that. That's not what the other major leagues are doing either.

11 minutes ago, Ansem said:

...Yet the CFL has impressive attendances and viewership despite the far superior NFL being next door...

The CFL has an ageing demographic and interest has plummeted in the GTA to the extent that there were pizza giveaway deals for Grey Cup tickets last year. The future looks far from rosy for that league as the last generation that grew up before cable TV and got hooked on whatever was being shown on a far more limited range of channels slowly starts to depart the scene. Soccer wasn't part of what was pushed as quintessentially Canadian back in the 50s and 60s and can't sensibly use the CFL as a model for anything.

Archived