Copa Libertadores

Due to changes in the Copa Libertadores schedule (which will now run from February to November/December), the Liga MX teams have withdrawn from the competition next year and left 3 spots vacant.  With Canada seemingly unable to get a second berth in the CONCACAF Champions League, should we be pursuing one of these spots instead?  Even a first stage spot would be better than nothing.  Would the Canadian clubs want this, given the travel that would be involved (and their frequent indifference to the Champions League unless their MLS season is going poorly)?

On 11/19/2016 at 11:41 AM, Watchmen said:

Due to changes in the Copa Libertadores schedule (which will now run from February to November/December), the Liga MX teams have withdrawn from the competition next year and left 3 spots vacant.  With Canada seemingly unable to get a second berth in the CONCACAF Champions League, should we be pursuing one of these spots instead?  Even a first stage spot would be better than nothing.  Would the Canadian clubs want this, given the travel that would be involved (and their frequent indifference to the Champions League unless their MLS season is going poorly)?

I don't think it is indifference unless the MLS season is going poorly. I think it is indifference until they see there is an opportunity to advance.

On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎19 at 11:41 AM, Watchmen said:

CCL is hard as it is. MLS teams would get destroyed in Copa Libertadores

14 hours ago, Ansem said:

Against some teams/countries, certainly.  Just like they do against Mexican sides most of the time.  But against teams from Venezuela, or Peru, or Bolivia, or mid-tier teams from the mid-tier countries?  They'd like be fine, depending upon the quality of opposition they fielded. 

23 hours ago, Moldy9 said:

Would be very interesting to see: TFC vs Colo Colo or IMFC vs Boca Juniors!? But way too far in travel! Just from T-dot, our major hub in Canada, a direct flight to Lima is 8 hrs. Imagine Santiago or Buenos Aires,  like 10-11hrs. 

Travel is a factor for sure, but the Whitecaps have taken 17 hours to get to Kansas before.  The only reason the CCL travel to Trinidad wasn't worse for them this year was because they started it from Houston (after having played a game there).  So, it's not like travel within MLS/CCL can't be just as bad.

5 hours ago, Rintaran said:

Although it would be pretty cool to watch, I don't see it being affordable for the teams. Perhaps as a "let's do this once" sort of thing it may be worth doing though. Keep the momentum going.

Hey, I'd take a "one off" situation for a Canadian team.  Even just to see how it all played out.

10 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Travel is a factor for sure, but the Whitecaps have taken 17 hours to get to Kansas before.  The only reason the CCL travel to Trinidad wasn't worse for them this year was because they started it from Houston (after having played a game there).  So, it's not like travel within MLS/CCL can't be just as bad.

Hey, I'd take a "one off" situation for a Canadian team.  Even just to see how it all played out.

17 hours? I thought for CCL that you could charter. It's their fault really, it shouldn't take more than 4 hours. 

On 11/21/2016 at 8:59 AM, Ansem said:

No, American clubs will get humiliated. Canadian clubs can be competitive against the lower half of South America but eventually the CPL can improve in quality to be able to take on Brazil and Argentina like Liga MX did.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived