OUT OF EU - OUT OF EURO - OUT OF UEFA?

Robert

8 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Of course the "Brexit" vote has nothing whatsoever to do with football or UEFA but with that said...

The referendum question was very clear: the people of the UK have voted to LEAVE the EU.

The UK is leaving this UNDEMOCRATIC POLITICAL entity. But it would be beneficial for everybody if an ECONOMIC union between the UK and European countries can be negotiated - one that does NOT require uncontrolled immigration into the UK! Just as NAFTA does not require free movement of people between the signatory nations.

For those who are interested, this article does an excellent job of explaining what the EU really is - and why so many UK citizens voted to leave it:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/679277/History-EU-how-bureaucrats-seized-power

"The Union des Associations Européennes de Football (UEFA) was founded in Basel, Switzerland, on 15 June 1954, bringing to fruition the pioneering vision of a handful of key football administrators of the time.

Since then, the parent body of European football – one of six continental confederations of world football's governing body FIFA – has grown into the cornerstone of the game on this continent, working with and acting on behalf of Europe's national football associations and other stakeholders in the game to promote football and strengthen its position as the world's most popular sport.

The guiding principle of the initiators in the early 1950s was the fostering and development of unity and solidarity among the European football community. Now, six decades later, UEFA's mission remains very much the same. But it has also become the guardian of football in Europe by working closely with its 55 member associations to promote, protect and nurture the sport at all levels, from the elite and its stars to the millions who play the game as a hobby."

I wonder if the outcome of the "Brexit" vote would have been any different if the referendum question had also given consideration to the "unity and solidarity" elements contained in UEFA's vision?

http://www.uefa.org/about-uefa/history/index.html

10 hours ago, Blackdude said:

EU and Europe are two different things. 

In any kind of Union, either you're all in or you fold and get up leave. The people of England have spoken.

Who was it that said: "United we stand, divided we fall?"

Based on the replies thus far, I am assuming that I'm the only one participating in this thread that has an EU passport. Having provided that disclosure, allow me to give this discussion a Canadian slant, which may clarify my point of view.

In years gone by there have been several similar referendums as to whether or not Quebec would separate from the rest of Canada. Had the people of that province voted in favour of doing so, should the Montreal Impact have been been allowed to compete in the Amway Canadian championships?

Conversely, Wales, Ireland, Scotland and England (W.I.S.E.) are free to revive their prestigious Home International championships anytime they wish.

12 hours ago, Robert said:

Who was it that said: "United we stand, divided we fall?"

Who was it that said, "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt."

Actually may have evolved from the Bible but to bestow a verified claim is yet to be substantiated beyond doubt.

12 hours ago, Robert said:

Based on the replies thus far, I am assuming that I'm the only one participating in this thread that has an EU passport. Having provided that disclosure, allow me to give this discussion a Canadian slant, which may clarify my point of view.

In years gone by there have been several similar referendums as to whether or not Quebec would separate from the rest of Canada. Had the people of that province voted in favour of doing so, should the Montreal Impact have been been allowed to compete in the Amway Canadian championships?

Conversely, Wales, Ireland, Scotland and England (W.I.S.E.) are free to revive their prestigious Home International championships anytime they wish.

All members of EU are members of UEFA, but not all members of UEFA are members of EU. So, that's why it's a moot point. So, why shouyld Russia be able to play in the UEFA Championship since they think that the EU is bad and put their foot on the table when Ukraine wanted to go to EU. 

If Quebec would  separate from the rest of Canada, it's a totally different thing because if Quebec becomes independent, they would get their own FA to replace the CSA (Or FSQ becomes the de facto FA) Now, what happens to the Impact? Would MLS/USSF still accept a Quebec team in their ranks? Would the FSQ still sanction the Impact? What happens in CONCACAF with Quebec and is there a possibility that Quebec clubs participate in the CCL and how would it be administered? Now, those are questions that are revelant with the state of soccer in Canada and Quebec. 

The only questions about Brexit  are what happens to the EU nationals now who wouldn't get a work permit because of the new rules and those training there? What happens to the British players playing in EU? But, it says nothing about the menace that it's saying that UEFA is a menace to British football or vice versa. We're only talking about players

And the only thing you've mention is about union in the footballing community. The 4 (5 if you count Gibraltar) FA's concerned are still in solidarity with the other 51 FA's when it comes to football. That is the only thing that matters. If UEFA was only EU members, you'd have a point, but you have none right now. Right now, solidarity is the best thing they can do and I don't think UEFA would want to kick them off because that's what they need to be right now solidary. Not, creating chaos like Robert loves. Plus it could work England could call itself champion of the UK, but who would care? It's in the British FA's best interest to stay in UEFA right now even if the UK leaves the EU.

No Robert, if Quebec was a sovereign nation I expect they would have their own competition.

Conversely, the UEFA European Championship is not a championship for the EU. It is a championship for the continent of Europe (including Switzerland and other non-EU nations).

Nice EU passport, now if only it actually meant you had some valuable insight.

7 hours ago, dsqpr said:

I'm looking at this whole thread as tongue-in-cheek as the original proposal was so silly.

I agree this must be trolling. I am sure most people without an EU passport know the difference between EU and Europe.

Seems like all participating are good with separatists, just as long as it happens in someone else's family. All I can conclude from Brexit is that the majority of British voters have indicated that they do not value inclusivity to the same degree as other EU people do.

Funny thread.  Odd and irrational, but funny.

As others have pointed out, the EU does not equal Europe. 

Europe is a continent where 'membership' is defined by geography alone. 

The EU is a political arrangement, amongst a subset of European countries, where membership is predicated on being signatory to specific agreements and obligations.

The footy association is a European organization, and is not tied to the EU (it is known as UEFA, not UEUFA).  It both predates the EU, and its membership is larger than the EU.  Thus, many European countries were never part of the EU and yet participate fully in UEFA events.  Insofar as this is true, why would British countries be disqualified from UEFA participation due to the lack of EU membership that is common amongst other participating nations?  That seems, at best, nonsensical.

8 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Hi Robert, time to shut it down. You probably aren't british or live in Britain so it would be great if you didn't use football to push you uninformed political ideas. 

You're right on both counts. Time to shut it down, and no I'm not British. I'm European.

On 7/2/2016 at 9:39 AM, Robert said:

Quebec would still be in the CCL but not the V's Cup. How they qualify would be up to the QFA and CONCACAF

On July 7, 2016 at 9:11 AM, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Hi Robert, time to shut it down. You probably aren't british or live in Britain so it would be great if you didn't use football to push you uninformed political ideas. 

Actually, GCRO, Robert is right and his view is in no way uninformed. It does seem that the English at least and most British do not value inclusivity in Europe as much as other Europeans. The idea of a national identity is perhaps no stronger, but the idea of being part of Europe is weaker. In spite of so many living half the year on the Mediterranean coast !!

My opinion on this is that anything that makes an empire or large political structure weaker in the centre and stronger on the edges or in the parts is better, I am more a radical federalist in this sense. I am happy to see all the great old imperial nations get weaker, Spain included (though I am not particularly in favour of Catalonia where I mostly live being independent, because the campaign for it is so artificial and manipulative). Sri I think it is okay for the EU to be weakened, but am also heartened by the fact that Britain will be way weaker and less influential in the world now that they-ve made this particular choice. So better all around.

Archived