2016-17 CCL

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

Anyone else think Brek Shea is highly over-rated? 

Pretty confident no one rates Brek Shea anymore. He was good for Dallas, or so people say, although I never really thought it was that good. Since then he has crashed and burned.

Some quick observations:

Despite the obvious gap in quality between the Mexican league and MLS, it was apparent last night that the Caps are at the very beginning of their season while Tigres is in mid-season form. Skill and talent are one thing, but many of the Caps touches were the sort that do not happen later in the season. Lots of ring rust. Having said that, the overall quality of the Tigres players was significantly higher than our lads.

Bolanos, once he is fully healthy and fit, is going to make a huge difference for this team. Too bad he was not yet ready to play a full 90 last night.

Davies was very responsible defensively, which is damned impressive for such a young kid. He did not get free offensively, but had a few nice moments where he showed his class against top players. He was gassed by the 70 minute mark.

Brek Shea has no touch at all, but he is a beast and defenders will not like to play against him for his physicality. But with Mezquida and Reyna and Montero in the lineup, and with Hurtado and Manneh also available up top, I would imagine that Brek will not see a ton of playing time as the season wears on.

Team still needs a general in the middle, somebody like a Bradley who can destroy and create. Right now we have two destroyers, and that is very limiting.

I see some really good signs so far this year, despite last night's inability to intelligently hold (and pass!) the ball. If the guys can grow together, get everybody fit, then all of these extra games and extra experience should stand them well later in the season, not unlike it did for the Impact last year.  

Mezquida needed to chip the goaltender on his chance, but despite that error I like what I am seeing from him in his handful of minutes so far this year. I thought he was one of the Caps' best players two years ago, and it is great to see signs that he is returning to form. He will make it very tough for Bustos to see the pitch this year. Bustos might be a bit more technically gifted, but Mezquida is very quick and has an amazing engine.

Valiant effort, two big mistakes resulting in two goals, but the guys were disciplined and now have to head home and play for the win. Could be a fun game. I'd better get tickets.

I was pretty impressed with Vancouver for most of the match. I had expected things to go far worse, but they were doing well at holding their own up until the OG. I felt that following the OG, they were shaken and a lot sloppier in their play. Exhaustion was settling in for a number of players, and that definitely fed into Tigres 2nd goal.

Shea needs to get benched. Anyone that dives should have their contract terminated for poor sportsmanship. Obviously, that's not how the world works (and there's a number of good players who would be lost if it were), but I just can't respect someone earning professional wages that acts so very unprofessionally.

It's unfair to judge players this way but Shea seems like a really weird character. Mattocks was the same, you would often see pictures of team events with Mattocks standing awkwardly off to the side. I think Shea will be decent, he's not worth that salary and neither is Techera but they are both reasonable wing options.

13 hours ago, Dub Narcotic said:

It's unfair to judge players this way but Shea seems like a really weird character. Mattocks was the same, you would often see pictures of team events with Mattocks standing awkwardly off to the side. I think Shea will be decent, he's not worth that salary and neither is Techera but they are both reasonable wing options.

No, he is certainly not worth the salary. And from everything I hear, he is indeed eccentric. But he will likely be a workhorse for Robbo, and such a player will have his uses. I think Techera offers a lot more, but let's see how he performs this year. He has looked lively at times.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm surprised as well with the little attention this has received both by the national media and the local scene for a CCL semi final. Then again it's not like it's TFC plus people probably count them out. I did see just one advert for TSN and TVA did discuss the match on their weekly Impact show expecting Tigres to go through. 

56 minutes ago, Dub Narcotic said:

The CCL just isn't a big ticket in most markets. Even Pachuca had to heavily discount tickets for last night's game. I agree that if Vancouver had more of a shot there would be more of a crowd.

yes and but 18K to 20K ain't too shabby either. On a Wednesday night.

Perfect example of how the Caps mentality differs from Tigres. Tigres player with a bad touch, Harvey intercepts and the Tigres player goes down. Ref lets the Caps play on, but Jacobson stops playing altogether expecting the ref to blow the whistle. Just no willingness to take their advantages.

Archived