• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

my only worry about the Pioneer tower is that it might be too specific to Kitchner, and not representative of KWC as a whole.  Thoughts?

I think it would be fine, as long as the name isn't specific. Pioneer tower is actually very close to Cambridge and in a bridge area between the two cities. So I think it works.

On 19/03/2016 at 3:05 PM, Pqhbv said:

I would stay away from Grand River as a name, especially if you're going to put an arrowhead in it.

The reserve in Caledonia is colloquially called Grand River (as the river also passes through it) and there has been some pretty significant disputes over there in recent memory. 

The logo looks good, but I wouldn't use this for anything in the KWC area.

Yeah, us in Hamilton hear about it fairly constantly. It's not a pretty situation, and honestly I don't understand why any developer keeps trying to build anything remotely close to the reserve. At this point, I'm of the opinion that any developer that goes anywhere near the reservation deserves to lose his shirt.

8 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

I think it would be fine, as long as the name isn't specific. Pioneer tower is actually very close to Cambridge and in a bridge area between the two cities. So I think it works.

I'd also mention that there is a lot of German history in the Kitchener area, so maybe you can draw something from that as well.

I think Berlin, and Kitchener are bad names too. There isn't anything wrong with playing on the German heritage/culture at all. But the reasons for changing the name, and the odd name they choose in its place are also riddled with filthy history. 

I would stick to Galt, Waterloo, or Tri-City for naming a team out there to stay on the safe side. Then again, I'd let the PDL team go to L10 first (folding of CSL team second) and see what that brings as far as rebranding of logos. 

I don't think there is anything really wrong with acknowledging a conflicting history. There are a bunch of businesses in Kitchener that have added Berlin to the name (Berlin Supply Co., Berlin Bicycle Cafe, etc.). This is the centenary of the name change and it is interesting to see all the history come up. Most people are more interested in bringing it to light, because the conflict has been hidden for a long time, so I think the region is finally in the stage where we are openly taking control of that past.

14 hours ago, Levi Oakey said:

I don't think there is anything really wrong with acknowledging a conflicting history. There are a bunch of businesses in Kitchener that have added Berlin to the name (Berlin Supply Co., Berlin Bicycle Cafe, etc.). This is the centenary of the name change and it is interesting to see all the history come up. Most people are more interested in bringing it to light, because the conflict has been hidden for a long time, so I think the region is finally in the stage where we are openly taking control of that past.

I still like tricity for the practical aspect of appealing to waterloo and cambridge as well.  that was kinda the idea for grand river, but i can see why its an issue.  I would worry that Berlin would encounter more of the same problems as KW united.  

But german symbolism could be done.  Anything else in there?  anything to do with industry?  I always like those ones.

4 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

But german symbolism could be done.  Anything else in there?  anything to do with industry?  I always like those ones.

Rubber factories? Used to be the rubber, beer, whiskey, car parts. Used to be pretty good in all those industries.

Tri-City might work if done right. I'm so partial to Galt and the romanticized history of it plus I'd love to see a three team KWC derby in L10... Maybe when there's 30 teams in L10.

Of all the metropolitan areas in Canada, if this area were to get a team in the CPL, I think united would be warranted: Waterloo United. After the regional municipality for the whole tri-city region. it doesn't prioritize Kitchener or alienate Cambridge too much in name alone, maybe place the stadium -hypothetically speaking here- around the planned rail link between Cambridge and Kitchener as a compromise. 

What if you pull a Shalke 04 and be named after the "district" where the team is located and not the city. I have 0 familiarity with the Tri-Cities so this may not make any sense. The crest could then work in K-W-C in each cities respective colors a la Rangers

Rangers_3_-_darkblue__92949_1329258557_1280_1280.jpg

9 hours ago, Oranje said:

What if you pull a Shalke 04 and be named after the "district" where the team is located and not the city. I have 0 familiarity with the Tri-Cities so this may not make any sense. The crest could then work in K-W-C in each cities respective colors a la Rangers

Rangers_3_-_darkblue__92949_1329258557_1280_1280.jpg

Cool idea.  Seems doable.  What are the colours of K,W, and C?  Anyone know?

On 3/23/2016 at 8:41 PM, GuillermoDelQuarto said: I still like tricity for the practical aspect of appealing to waterloo and cambridge as well.  that was kinda the idea for grand river, but i can see why its an issue.  I would worry that Berlin would encounter more of the same problems as KW united.   But german symbolism could be done.  Anything else in there?  anything to do with industry?  I always like those ones.   There are a few industrial artifacts displayed in Kitchener.  https://www.kitchener.ca/en/livinginkitchener/IndustrialArtifacts.asp  

53 minutes ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

perhaps it's god-awful, but idk.  Kinda goes with the whole silicon valley of canada feel that wikipedia seems to be obsessed with.  thoughts?

aDFFCiG.png

I think you'd be better off with a complete, green K, rather than having a hybrid of mashed up letters and full ones.

Loving all the design's so far, the simplicity of them is great.

Knowing the Flames ownership group, the name might be on the cheesy side, but the colours will most definitely be red and white with the potential of gold or black as accents.

Not sure if you guys would be able to incorporate features of the Calgary Coat of Arms in your design.  The silhouette of the horse would be great.
calgary_coat_of_arms_letterhead-rc807301

I do like the use of the bull as well, but something more in line with the U of C's crest would be interesting to see.

coat-of-arms.jpg

2 hours ago, GuillermoDelQuarto said:

Pretty minor, but just thickening the border lines.

ZWQkarr.png

Try a white inner circle. Also something about the font..have you tried any other fonts? And change it to Tricity FC

Better?WjTmerX.png

The white inner circle doesn't really work, at least with these colours.

Darkened the green and blue up and it sorta works.  I dunno.

r5z9Ibg.png

edit: when i find the best one i'll go in and make the letters intersect a little better, so maybe try to ignore that part for now.  k39joCE.png

Not there yet, but personally I like the general direction this is heading.

Archived