• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Calgary Foothills clinched first place in the Northwest Division this evening, and will host Seattle Sounders U-23 on Tuesday night, at 7 pm MST. If your location is in Calgary, I really urge you to come out and support the local club.

According to this Tweet, the game will be at Broadview field, not Glenmore Athletic Park as usual. 

Calgary Foothills defeat Seattle Sounders U-23 3-1 in extra time. Goals from Russo, Sarkaria and Fakunle. Great crowd at a different venue today.

Up next are the Western Conference semi-finals against FC Golden State Force. Winner of that game will play the winner of FC Tuscon and Burlingame Dragons.

On 2016-07-19 at 5:38 PM, shermanator said:

Little update on the progress of Alberta's first full size indoor facility, being constructed by Calgary Foothills via  private donations. 

Are they finally getting rid of the 4 arenas in the solid top (not inflatable) soccer centre in the southeast? Please please please. That facility was always a waste with 4 arenas breaking it up into little chunks. Not a huge field but bigger than one MLS side plays on!

Calgary Foothills have won the PDL Western Conference, and will travel to New Jersey to face Ocean City Nor'easters on Saturday in the PDL semifinals. 3 pm MST, will be streamed on Youtube here. I'm looking into setting up a watch party in town as well: 

On 7/30/2016 at 6:22 PM, shermanator said:

Seems like they're too busy running a youth club and developing Canadian talent.

They seem to be doing a stellar job of it too! Can't wait to see if they can topple Michigan in the final on August 6th.

Honestly, I'm surprised as any that they've advanced this far, and it's awesome to see. Has any Canadian PDL club where the bulk of players are Canadian ever advanced this far? KW United, FC London and Thunder Bay chill have all won the tournament, but none of them have done it with as much local talent. 

9 hours ago, shermanator said:

Honestly, I'm surprised as any that they've advanced this far, and it's awesome to see. Has any Canadian PDL club where the bulk of players are Canadian ever advanced this far? KW United, FC London and Thunder Bay chill have all won the tournament, but none of them have done it with as much local talent. 

The Whitecaps residency made it to the semifinals in 2008 losing to the eventual champions Thunder Bay. That lineup was almost all Canadian. It included many players that went on to play pro including Randy Edwini-Bonsu, Philippe Davies, Gagandeep Dosanjh, Sahil Sandhu. I think Simon Thomas played on that team as well.

Edit: Kyle Porter and Adam Straith were part of that 2008 class too, but I don't think they played in the playoffs as they were sent out to Germany on loan. 

There has been a lot of media interest in the club ever since they made it to the final. Multiple radio and TV appearances in the last few days by Tommy and players / coaches. Not much in the print media given that the Olympics start soon. Hopefully this raises the profile of the club a bit around town.

Also, Elijah Adekugbe gave a shoutout to the Foot Soldiers on Global Calgary morning here: http://globalnews.ca/calgary/program/global-news-morning-calgary

And here are highlights from the home playoff game a couple weeks ago including multiple shots of the supporters: http://globalnews.ca/video/2838168/calgary-foothills-fc-wins-thrilling-soccer-playoff-game

Calgary Foothills lose the PDL final 3-2 on a controversial penalty call in the 86th minute. Goals from Pasquotti and Russo had them in the lead with 15 minutes to go but a quality header tied the game, and then the penalty. Video of the penalty is here (skip to 2:07:25):

On the bright side, the Ship and Anchor was packed and the game seemed to get the interest of everyone in attendance. Hopefully this is the start of greater support of the club in Calgary. 

11 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Who are some of the young players who we may see somewhere in the pro ranks in the future?

I would be shocked if Dominic Russo did not get picked up by a USL club for 2017. He's got a lot of hype around him with his playoff form, was PDL MVP runner up, and he's going into his last year at the University of Calgary. He and Zator trained with Oxford United in the winter.

Outside of Russo, I don't know if anyone makes the jump. This is an opinion not based on talent. Rather it is based on the fact that they aren't in one of the existing academy setups for Canadian pro clubs, which I think hinders their advancement. Adekugbe could have a shot at WFC2 given where his brother is. 

Were there a Canadian Premier League, I would argue that Bauche, Zator, and Powley could all be signed as depth players for clubs in that league. I don't think the CIS system is scouted much given the current setup.

Archived