The 2016 schedule came out today. All games are Friday nights and Sunday afternoons which is a big improvement over the 2015 season. Calgary Foothills' home venue is TBD.

Schedule is as follows:

Friday May 13 - Calgary @ Washington
Sunday May 15 - Calgary @ Victoria Highlanders
Friday May 27 - Calgary vs Portland Timbers U-23
Sunday May 29 - Calgary vs Portland Timbers U-23
Friday June 10 - Calgary vs Victoria Highlanders
Thursday June 16 - Calgary @ Lane United
Friday June 17 - Calgary @ Lane United
Sunday June 19 - Calgary @ Portland Timbers U-23
Friday June 24 - Calgary vs Kitsap Pumas
Sunday June 26 - Calgary vs Kitsap Pumas
Sunday July 10 - Calgary vs Seattle Sounders U-23
Friday July 15 - Calgary @ Seattle Sounders U-23
Sunday July 17 - Calgary @ Kitsap Pumas

Some of us Foot Soldiers are discussing a road trip going to an away game either in Victoria or Portland as well. If that actually becomes a thing, I'll let folks know.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

A couple of the supporters met with Tommy and co. from Calgary Foothills to discuss plans for the upcoming season. I wasn't there, so I'm passing this on second hand:

- Glenmore Athletic Park is now the frontrunner for where games will be played, which works out much better from a transit perspective. 
- The club is in talks to partner with the Ship and Anchor to get a matchday bus to and from the Ship on game days. IMO this is fantastic from a supporters point of view as it works towards the 19-34 demographic which is an oft-overlooked demographic by clubs.
- The club is also in talks to get games televised on Shaw TV in Calgary. Even a local TV deal for a club at this level is huge.
- FC Edmonton of the NASL will be in town for a preseason game. 

The first three items above are not set in stone, but they are being worked on by the club. If all three can get worked out I think they are all good developments. The club will hold a presentation in April to give more concrete details on the upcoming season.

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

A couple of the supporters met with Tommy and co. from Calgary Foothills to discuss plans for the upcoming season. I wasn't there, so I'm passing this on second hand:

- Glenmore Athletic Park is now the frontrunner for where games will be played, which works out much better from a transit perspective. 
- The club is in talks to partner with the Ship and Anchor to get a matchday bus to and from the Ship on game days. IMO this is fantastic from a supporters point of view as it works towards the 19-34 demographic which is an oft-overlooked demographic by clubs.
- The club is also in talks to get games televised on Shaw TV in Calgary. Even a local TV deal for a club at this level is huge.
- FC Edmonton of the NASL will be in town for a preseason game. 

The first three items above are not set in stone, but they are being worked on by the club. If all three can get worked out I think they are all good developments. The club will hold a presentation in April to give more concrete details on the upcoming season.

When will this be? Heard nothing about this. But I hope some ESG will be working on getting down there for it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/6/2016 at 3:02 PM, shermanator said:

Here's a snap of the new home for Calgary Foothills for 2016.

I haven't been to Glenmore since the Storm PDL club was playing games out of there.  Can't imagine it's gotten any better since then.  Grass surface, but stands far away from field, minimal parking, no amenities except for a few bathrooms next door.  I think it holds about 1000 so if they could sell it out they'd probably be doing well.  I don't think there are any nearby bars to do pre or post match meetings.  Not much around there except residential.

It's the best option of a poor lot I guess.  It says probably more about the Calgary stadium situation more than anything else.  Can't understand why a city of 1 million people has virtually no sports infastructure.

Jason

IMO Glenmore Athletic Park is no worse and no better an option than Hellard. I think having grass with no lines vs turf with lines washes out the degradation of viewing experience via the stands being farther back. Being surrounded by residential isn't ideal but neither is being surrounded by shady motels and sex shops. Given that Hellard was up to 90% empty at times last year the size of the stands should be fine.

My big question is will they have a beer tent, and if so, where is the beer tent going to be? When I walked around Glenmore last weekend, I couldn't see a great spot for it.

As for bars, there is Garrison Pub 8 blocks north, which takes about the same amount of time to get to as Pazzer's did from Hellard. Not ideal but I would personally prefer Garrison Pub to Pazzer's, having received terrible service at Pazzer's more often than not after games. That being said, the club is looking at doing a game day bus from the Ship and Anchor to and from the stadium, so if they are successful in getting a game day bus launched, that will take care of pre and post match meetings, as well as market the club to the core demographic that was missing last year. And if that fails, my house is a 23 minute walk away ;)

11 minutes ago, shermanator said:

IMO Glenmore Athletic Park is no worse and no better an option than Hellard. I think having grass with no lines vs turf with lines washes out the degradation of viewing experience via the stands being farther back. Being surrounded by residential isn't ideal but neither is being surrounded by shady motels and sex shops. Given that Hellard was up to 90% empty at times last year the size of the stands should be fine.

My big question is will they have a beer tent, and if so, where is the beer tent going to be? When I walked around Glenmore last weekend, I couldn't see a great spot for it.

As for bars, there is Garrison Pub 8 blocks north, which takes about the same amount of time to get to as Pazzer's did from Hellard. Not ideal but I would personally prefer Garrison Pub to Pazzer's, having received terrible service at Pazzer's more often than not after games. That being said, the club is looking at doing a game day bus from the Ship and Anchor to and from the stadium, so if they are successful in getting a game day bus launched, that will take care of pre and post match meetings, as well as market the club to the core demographic that was missing last year. And if that fails, my house is a 23 minute walk away ;)

I don't know this, but it might be harder to get a liquor license in the residential area.  I don't remember beer being served at Storm PDL games back in the day.

Jason

10 hours ago, shermanator said:

Change the variations of reds to green and white and you got a sharp looking badge there!

Really?  I thought with the stamps and flames it was pretty obvious that the soul of calgary is red?  I'll try it out though :)

Why green and white?

9 hours ago, Blue and White Army said:

I also recommend having "Calgary" written in the badge.

K.  Smaller above foothills, bigger than foothills? No foothills whatsoever?  The devils in the details :P

Thoughts?

rGjYqxM.png

• 5 weeks later...

An article in the Calgary Herald about the club in 2016. 6 returning players have been announced (Hutchins, Megna, Ramsay, Odosa, Russo and Zator). Wheeldon also mentions the club will be getting younger than last year. Also, a fantastic quote from Wheeldon in this article: “If we’re going to give the opportunity to develop Canadian talent, we’ve also got to take the risks.”

http://calgaryherald.com/sports/soccer/foothills-fc-keep-focus-on-future

Archived