Mikaël (Miki) Cantave

Unnamed Trialist

11 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are aware that their ranking is not that much lower than ours, they've slipped 20 spots in the last two months, they were in the mid 80s, like us. They were up to 48th just last year. 

It's a question of capacity to perform, all you are saying by looking at where they are playing is that they get the most of their players, and in comparison, we do not. 

In any case, I think Cantave is a loss, he's a quick young wing with pro experience and has played in third tier Spain, which is as high as USL I'd say, depending the team.

They play a lot more official FIFA matches so get a huge boost. You can't really think they are a top 50 team, and a lot better than us. Man-for-man, we are far superior (but yes, I know matches are played as a team on the pitch).

I don't see Cantave as a loss at the moment. Chances are he'll never develop to much better than he is now - most don't advance beyond the "maybe could be" stage. But will say, we need to keep as many bodies as we can in the player pool. It is extremely shallow and to me a deep pool is much more important than 2-4 star players. So for this reason, each "maybe will be" is a loss.

Edited by BCM

• 5 months later...
7 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I hope we will not regret losing him...just scored for Haiti in Managua in their 2-nil win.

We have trouble scoring goals in Central America....strange to see a player we gave up on doing well in Central America for a rival Concacaf side.

I am pretty sure Herdman not giving him a call-up when he was playing in Spain, and had been in a third tier club, was a factor. He committed to Haiti immediately after he was not called up for the New Zealand match. Then played for Haiti vs. Argentina in the WC warm-up match.

As is, he is playing in 4th tier, so that is not a player you would be very worried about. But he is a sharp wing, I've seen clips, I think he should eventually make it back to third tier at least.

• 3 years later...

Good signing for Cavalry. Good of him to come back to Canada and reconnect with our game. 

You have to appreciate that he was in our system but his father I believe is a pro ref in France, or was, so he was also quite distanced from Canada for a long time.

Just a season and a half ago he was at Villarrobledo with José Galan, the Valour player, so he may have gotten an idea of the CPL through him.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist