Mikaël (Miki) Cantave

Unnamed Trialist

Starting a thread on Miki, don't think there is one yet. He was presented officiall this week at Guadalajara, with a contract for this year and the next: The report and audio of the press conference is here:

http://www.deportivoguadalajara.es/miki-en-su-presentacion-tengo-muchas-ganas-de-ayudar-al-equipo/

Player who went to Getafe U-19s from France, was injured late last year, and after recovering this fall has made this move to a 2B (3rd tier) team in Guadalajara. Very good place to be on a modest club. 

Mika was born on 25-10-96 so is still 19, young to be in 2B where he'll get lots of experience. 

At the press conference Miki was quoted: "I'm ready to give everything for the club and show the fans I am good enough. I feel good, my injury has healed and I am ready to compete". And added: I want to bring something new to the team, namely speed, my dribble and help get results". He also said that his "teammates have taken me in and little by little I am feeling part of the team", to conclude that "I really want to help the team. I feel happy and fortunate, I'll give everything for the club." 

The assistant director of the club says in the press conference that they want to have young players with room for development on the team, and especially in places like the wing  they want players with a lot of desire and drive. He calls him "a diamond in the rough", and insists they want to bring up their own academy players or look for others who can add to the club. He also insisted he is a member of the first team and not the second team, and has a sub-23 contract, which I am not sure what it means for them.

Presentaci%C3%B3n-Miki-Portada.jpg

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

3 hours ago, Fussball_eh said:

Yes good call. I've been in touch with Miki and since he is now the Canadian, who is playing in Spain's highest division, his own thread is overdue. He told me specifically that he signed for the first and not for the B-Team!

The assistant director in that press conference, who appears in the pics with him, said that they put him with the B team to train and check fitness, but that they had the idea to give him a first team contract from the start. The importance of this is that 2B in Spain is fully professional and full time, so that is a big step for him. 

I really like this club, did not know it, but they have a lot of positives, one being mixing youth with veterans, I think it is a nice place to be for Miki and he'll get seen by Madrid area teams so the chances of stepping up are good.

BTW, that is 3rd tier, not 1st of course, not sure what you meant there.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The assistant director in that press conference, who appears in the pics with him, said that they put him with the B team to train and check fitness, but that they had the idea to give him a first team contract from the start. The importance of this is that 2B in Spain is fully professional and full time, so that is a big step for him. 

I really like this club, did not know it, but they have a lot of positives, one being mixing youth with veterans, I think it is a nice place to be for Miki and he'll get seen by Madrid area teams so the chances of stepping up are good.

BTW, that is 3rd tier, not 1st of course, not sure what you meant there.

I meant that Miki plays in a higher tier than Ben Fisk and Samuel Piette, who play in the 4th. So the highest in the sense of all Canadians in Spain, not the highest in all of Spain. I hope this makes sense now.

28 minutes ago, Fussball_eh said:

I meant that Miki plays in a higher tier than Ben Fisk and Samuel Piette, who play in the 4th. So the highest in the sense of all Canadians in Spain, not the highest in all of Spain. I hope this makes sense now.

Ok, got it. I don't know if it is the way we are getting players into the mix, or how our young guys are getting out there early with a lot of guts, but it's an exciting time for Canadian players. 

BTW he was not called up for tomorrow's game vs Mensajero, who play near the Madrid airport in Barajas.

17 minutes ago, Coramoor said:

PIette plays in the 3rd tier, he's in Segunda B, it's a loan sure, but he is playing there

He is no longer at Ferrol. He is back at Depor B.

8 minutes ago, tarnado1555362291 said:

His loan is finished so he is back with Depor B in the fourth.

Glad someone is paying attention ;-).

If unsure, check the table!

11 hours ago, Fussball_eh said:

He is no longer at Ferrol. He is back at Depor B.

Glad someone is paying attention ;-).

If unsure, check the table!

From what they were saying, he had a say in extending the loan, as did Deportivo. I think he was not happy with that sub out early in a match a few weeks ago, even though he has played since. And Deportivo B is not doing well enough and need to pick it up as they want to at least play the promotion to 2B. So I think Ferrol accepted this, I am culling this from various articles I've read.

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just found out his father (uncle??) is a referee, has done Canadian Championship games, Pierre Cantave. Then was in France these last years, perhaps went with him when he went to Nantes. Anyone know more about this?

Well based on this: http://www.scoresway.com/?sport=soccer&page=player&id=115428 he was assistant ref for clubs that I think were in CFA2 at the time, so like 5th division France. He also went to South Korea for the 2002 World Cup but as a fan.

http://francopresse.ca/index.cfm?Sequence_No=7586&Id=7586&Repertoire_No=1151936421&Voir=document_view&secteur=620

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Just updating that he is now in the Albacete system, playing for the B team in Spanish 4th tier, and getting minutes. The first team leads their division in 3rd tier and has a good shot at promoting (playoff pending). 

I think Miki, who is just 20, should get a look from our system again, in a u-23 camp, he's an attacking winger and seems he could be useful as he pushes up through the pro ranks as well.

Since this is a new thread and info. from the old thread may have been lost (and some may not know much about him): Miki was a top prospect at Nantes and was actually invited to a French regional U15 camp in 2011 and identified as one of the top 150 prospects for his age by the FFF. He left Nantes for seemingly strange reasons as a 16 yr old and ended up playing for a Division Honneur club (6th tier) for half a season.

• 1 year later...

He is a '96 so too old for the U23 squad for Tokyo 2020.

It was the senior #CanMNT squad or bust for him. Canada was giving him no love.

I guess his onetime switch has been filed because he played for us in official competition at the U17 level:

http://canadasoccer.com/?pid=608&t=profile

@DJT or @admin

Since he got the call to the Haitian squad we can now lock this thread:

http://twitter.com/fhfhaiti/status/996781788809846785

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

14 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Is a '96 so too old for the U23 squad for Tokyo 2020.

I guess his onetime switch has been filed because he played for us in official competition at the U17 level:

I don’t know the rules exactly but if he doesn’t play in this game could he still play for us.

14 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Is a '96 so too old for the U23 squad for Tokyo 2020.

Man! A lot of "Eh"s going to be used in that dressing room! 3 Canadians!

3 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I don’t know the rules exactly but if he doesn’t play in this game could he still play for us.

Even if he doesn't play, he would have had to file his one-time switch to play for them. 

2 hours ago, BradMack said:

I count 4. Pretty sure Duverger is from Laval and has a CSA page. 

Eh? What is that. If I would guess,  They might say more Monchè.

Edited by Blackdude

1 minute ago, Blackdude said:

Even if he doesn't play, he would have had to file his one-time switch to play for them. 

I count 4. Pretty sure Duverger is from Laval and has a CSA page. 

Yes born in Montreal according to wiki. 18 year old keeper who's at Sporting in Portugal. Man Haiti are raiding us!

4 hours ago, BradMack said:

All are Francophone so....

1 hour ago, Blackdude said:

They might say more Monchè.

...just to put that in context that's a common Haitian expression (mon cher) along with mezanmi (mes amis).

Yes Josué Duverger is Canadian; they have 4 on their squad. Never played a game for us so he can switch back. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josué_Duverger

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

Duverger is not with Sporting anymore..free agent without a pro game getting called to their senior team..their squad looks awful..d2 malaysia..d4 france and spain..usl backup...

You are aware that their ranking is not that much lower than ours, they've slipped 20 spots in the last two months, they were in the mid 80s, like us. They were up to 48th just last year. 

It's a question of capacity to perform, all you are saying by looking at where they are playing is that they get the most of their players, and in comparison, we do not. 

In any case, I think Cantave is a loss, he's a quick young wing with pro experience and has played in third tier Spain, which is as high as USL I'd say, depending the team.