Marc Dos Santos going to MLS

Trillium

It is being reported that he is leaving to take an assistant job with Kansas City. That seems like a demotion to me, unless there is some sort of succession plan in place as part of the deal.

I don't mind this move seeing that most head coaches in MLS spent time as assistants first so this is good exposure for him. The only coach I recall that made the jump straight from NASL was Martin Rennie and that didn't end up so hot.  

On the Ottawa Fury site it says he will depart at the end of the season which I assume includes the playoffs if they make it. Something like this doesn't happen overnight so the players probably saw this coming a while back and it doesn't seem to have affected their play too much.

I don't mind this move seeing that most head coaches in MLS spent time as assistants first so this is good exposure for him. The only coach I recall that made the jump straight from NASL was Martin Rennie and that didn't end up so hot.

I agree with this. At first it seems like a step back, but in the bigger picture, MLS experience will be helpful.

Because taking a team from 28 points to 43 and then 48 in 2 seasons is such a failure????

Because taking a team from 28 points to 43 and then 48 in 2 seasons is such a failure????

His downfall was many things though such as hiring Barry Robson and Kenny Miller, using NASL players as subs on the Caps team, Not using mush of the academy players in sub situations and having 2 consecutive late MLS season collapses. I though he would've learned after his first season how to improve the club but he wasn't a hands on guy like Robbo scouring the globe in the off season. Rennie was lucky that YP Lee had some hookups in the K-league

His downfall was many things though such as hiring Barry Robson and Kenny Miller, using NASL players as subs on the Caps team, Not using mush of the academy players in sub situations and having 2 consecutive late MLS season collapses. I though he would've learned after his first season how to improve the club but he wasn't a hands on guy like Robbo scouring the globe in the off season. Rennie was lucky that YP Lee had some hookups in the K-league

Miller was good, Robson was a washout. As Robbo himself has said coaches tend to go with what they know so his bringing in some players from his NASL squad was no surprise to me. Aside from Teibert most of the academy wasn't ready. He did give Sam his first opportunity near the end of his term.

His downfall was having personality and authority conflicts with others on the team and in the organization. He was an absolutist "my way or the highway" type and that wore out. I would have liked to see what he could do in a third season. In the end I'm glad we ended up with Robbo as his latin angle on recruitment is a huge advantage in a salary capped league and he's doing a great job.

PS. Currently in the last promo-playoff spot (4th) in K-League Challenge (D2)

So who replaces dos Santos in Ottawa? Does Nash take over the head coaching job? Does someone like Nick Dasovic get his chance at a full time head coaching gig? Does someone like Jeff Paulus move up from his assistant coaching and academy TD position in Edmonton?

Although not likely, Rob Gale would be a good option. He's in touch with many Canadian kids and has contacts in England.

So who replaces dos Santos in Ottawa? Does Nash take over the head coaching job? Does someone like Nick Dasovic get his chance at a full time head coaching gig? Does someone like Jeff Paulus move up from his assistant coaching and academy TD position in Edmonton?

Dasovic would be a great choice. Really no idea who they'll pick. I just hope they pick another Canadian coach.

So he gets credit because the Caps were awful in their expansion year?  As a neutral I thought he was out of his depth, clearly played favourites and the Caps are much better off without him.  

As for Dos Santos, I hope he is coming to Toronto and I'm surprised he would be coming to MLS for an assistant position, if true.  Dos Santos has a more impressive resume than guys like Rennie, Vanney, Watson, Marsch, Robinson (at the times they were made head coaches).  Anyway even if it is an assistant job to start he will inevitably be a head coach in MLS.  

So he gets credit because the Caps were awful in their expansion year?  As a neutral I thought he was out of his depth, clearly played favourites and the Caps are much better off without him.  

As for Dos Santos, I hope he is coming to Toronto and I'm surprised he would be coming to MLS for an assistant position, if true.  Dos Santos has a more impressive resume than guys like Rennie, Vanney, Watson, Marsch, Robinson (at the times they were made head coaches).  Anyway even if it is an assistant job to start he will inevitably be a head coach in MLS.  

I give him credit for what he accomplished. He took a last place team, turned them around and improved them measurably in both his years as head coach.

As for Dos Santos I agree about his having a better resume than the others when they made head coach. If not head coach at his next post I'd expect him to make head coach somewhere quickly.

Interestingly Robinson has said he was on a 7 year plan to make head coach when he got the job after 2 years as assistant. He's done better than the others by a long shot.

Yallop fired should be own thread. Bircham also out as assistant.

Dos Santos doesnt have the pedigree for an mls job. Nelson Rodriguez is basically garber's henchman to fix things. My bet is someone more experienced to fix an important mls franchise

Bircham was an assistant? Yikes.

Frank needs to retire, he' s in over his head in MLS 2.0/3.0

Bircham was an assistant? Yikes.

Frank needs to retire, he' s in over his head in MLS 2.0/3.0

He just won coach of the year and Supporters Shield 3 seasons ago and San Jose hasn't been the same since he left so I beg to differ.  Chicago is in over it's head more like. 

Still better than any manager TFC has had in our history.

Archived