Whitecaps 2014-15 Offseason

tmcmurph

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the over / under on Canadians on the roster at the start of 2015? With the Alderson release, there are 6* (Adekugbe, Teibert, Bustos*, Clarke, Froese, Carducci). I put an asterisk beside Bustos as we don't know what country he belongs to anymore...

My bet, the list I have above does not change by March.

I was thinking that myself. Question is will Ben leave the Lobos for the pro ranks early or stay for the next 2 years and finish his schooling? 

Aside from him who else is there? Brody? Same question as Ben. 

PS. I'll go with 7 on the over under.

If you were Ben, why would you leave the NCAA to emulate Alderson by getting no playing time as a midfielder? Doesn't make any sense.

^ I'm not saying he will, and I don't expect him too, but with USL Pro around, that would be a step up for Ben. Whereas for Alderson, his attitude was more like been there done that.

For guys like Ben and Callum, I think it would be best if they max out the development opportunities they can in the NCAA while supplementing that with PDL or things like L1O in the summer time.

^ I'm not saying he will, and I don't expect him too, but with USL Pro around, that would be a step up for Ben. Whereas for Alderson, his attitude was more like been there done that.

For guys like Ben and Callum, I think it would be best if they max out the development opportunities they can in the NCAA while supplementing that with PDL or things like L1O in the summer time.

Yea that is probably the best for the players in NCAA. Get the education while you can and then see if pro soccer is a reality after when you are 22. For most they will probably be glad they got an education. Unless they get a GenA deal. Then it becomes much more realistic to skip school.

I think you need 4 CBs, especially with 2 of them being on the fringes of their national teams and Dean being involved with the US U23s. Plus injuries and suspensions will always crop up.

I hope they resign O'Brien to a contract that he is satisfied with but will also work under the cap. Then you bring along Farmer and have him play the USL Pro games with Dean.

Waston

O'Brien

Leveron

Dean

Farmer

In that order.

Not surprising tosee those three names leaving.

All three are destined for NASL or USL. Maybe Salgado can catch on with the re-branded Chivas. Alderson shopuld be headed straight to Edmonton.

Happy to see Mattocks get some Internatioanl form going three goals in three matches. Not too shabby. We will need Hurtado and Mattocks to take another big step in their development as strikers. As much as Robbo is gonna go out and find a striker to handle most the load. The difference a lot of nights will be secondary scoring and those two will be the main targets in the sense.

Dispersal draft is a non-issue for us, with the 19th pick. Big issue right now is who is gonna get protected on the roster for the entry drafts. Hard descisions will be made.

• 2 weeks later...

Salgado was going to be elsewhere and nice bit of trickery to get around the roster freeze. The expansion teams can trade and aquire so sending him to NYCFC for future sell-on rights and will receive allocation money when NYCFC transfers him to an international team. So it looks like he is out of MLS.

Caleb signs on for more time in the Caps organization. Question is will he go back to Germany or stay with USL Pro/MLS side?

Speaking of the expansion draft. Available for the expansion draft from Vancouver are:

Mehdi Ballouchy (MF)
Mamadou Diouf (FW)
Sebastian Fernandez (MF/FW)
Andre Lewis (MF)
Nicolas Mezquida (MF)
Carlyle Mitchell (DF)
Andy O’Brien (DF)
Mauro Rosales (MF)
Paolo Tornaghi (GK)

It is really interesting that Montreal has 8 homegrown, TFC and the Caps 7 with all the rest 3 or 4 except Dallas who also have 8. That is a nice advantage in an expanding league. You don't have as many exposed players by developing your own.

Announced that Fernandez will not be back. Salgado has been traded and will be sold. Caleb Clarke has signed a new contract.

"The club also announced that it has declined the options on centre back Johnny Leverón, attacking midfielders Sebastián Fernández, Nicolás Mezquida, and Mauro Rosales, as well as striker Mamadou Diouf. The club remains in contact with all five players, as well as out-of-contract centre back Andy O’Brien, regarding their future with the club."

Some unexpected moves there with Leveron and Rosales. I guess Dean just moved up the CB list. I do hope they keep Andy and Rosales. I thought both were very solid.

WHITECAPS FC PROTECTED PLAYERS:

1. Steven Beitashour (DF)

2. Jordan Harvey (DF)

3. Erik Hurtado (FW)

4. Gershon Koffie (MF)

5. Matias Laba (MF)

6. Johnny Leverón (DF)

7. Kekuta Manneh (FW)

8. Darren Mattocks (FW)

9. Pedro Morales (MF)

10. David Ousted (GK)

11. Kendall Waston (DF)

The following 11 players will be protected, in addition to Homegrown players Sam Adekugbe, Marco Bustos, Marco Carducci, Caleb Clarke, Kianz Froese, Ethen Sampson, and Russell Teibert, as well as Generation adidas player Christian Dean, who are exempt from the draft.

Leveron would be a smart pickup for a lot of teams. TFC should try and get him, he would be a great fit.

He does use up an international spot and if you have one he is a solid left CB. Good passing out of the back. A bit slow on pace but very good angles and solid on the ball. At $60k he is not expensive either. With Waston, Dean and probably AndyO that leaves some room for depth signings. Probably some academy signings to come this off season for CB which is why they feel comfortable releasing both Leveron and Mitchell.

Weird that they would protect him but not resign him? I don't understand that one.

Archived