Whitecaps 2014-15 Offseason

tmcmurph

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For Tiebert this might very well be the case.

I'm confident Tiebert still has his number. Still though, signing Honduran kids, while eating away at potential minutes for Froese, Piraux, McKendry, and having just cut Alderson isn't exactly in line with the "I won't create ceilings for my young players" rhetoric, or the professed Canadian youth focus.

I can't help but hope this kid finds his ass glued to the pine and out of town sooner rather than later.

Means that the player can't play for another country until he asks FIFA to file a one-time switch, in which case he becomes cap-tied to the country he's filing a switch to.

... doesn't sound very "tied" to me. Agree with other statements here, will be a little more at ease when he's got a WCQ/GC cap to make that official. That being said, hope he's successful this season and that he gets some U23/Sr. call ups, and at this point wouldn't suspect he wouldn't answer those calls and play his guts out for us as he has in the past.

I'm confident Tiebert still has his number. Still though, signing Honduran kids, while eating away at potential minutes for Froese, Piraux, McKendry, and having just cut Alderson isn't exactly in line with the "I won't create ceilings for my young players" rhetoric, or the professed Canadian youth focus.

I can't help but hope this kid finds his ass glued to the pine and out of town sooner rather than later.

So you don't expect the club (or any club for that matter) to become the best they can? If any young talent would like to crack the line-up, he'd better get his level up there. That is normal in sports, competition is part of the game. Heck, they'll probably get better even training with better players.

And as the competition (other MLS-clubs I mean) are also ever improving, the level aspiring Canadians should have, will go up anyway (not even talking about the fact that any rival could have signed this kid as well). I have no problems with this whatsoever. It only means that when a kid does succeed in making it, that says a lot more and he'll have more potential for the MNT. If kids just want to play "toplevel" soccer, they should go to Finland. That wouldn't benefit the program one bit

Teibert along with the rest of the Canadian kids will have to fight for their places just like everyone else. Competition is always good and if you can't cut it, then you're cut. 

I disagree.  Everywhere around the world there are domestic player quotas for a reason.  Playing Canadian kids will not instantly give Canada success, but giving giving these players a platform to build on and develop will help in the long run.  What is point of sanctioning these clubs to play in the MLS if they are not developing Canadian talent? 

I disagree.  Everywhere around the world there are domestic player quotas for a reason.  Playing Canadian kids will not instantly give Canada success, but giving giving these players a platform to build on and develop will help in the long run.  What is point of sanctioning these clubs to play in the MLS if they are not developing Canadian talent? 

But they are developing Canadian talent. The number of players from MLS teams that represent our national teams continues to grow. Just because they aren't getting significant first team MLS minutes, doesn't mean that they aren't developing as players. We're the 117 ranked nation, playing in a top 10-15 ranked league. Is it any surprise that our teenagers struggle to beat out players from around the world? Domestically, the players are now receiving a level of training and competition that hasn't always been there, and the sport is receiving more attention than it has in a long time.

I agree that Canadians getting playing time helps their development but they have to earn it; nobody is going to just give it to them. 

Unfortunately you and I seem to be in the minority around here. MLS acts as if they are the EPL and are not very development oriented, especially less so for Canadians with the ridiculously low quota. IMO MLS will be a "destination" league for our top players and the development of the hundreds of young players will have to happen somewhere else.

Unfortunately you and I seem to be in the minority around here. MLS acts as if they are the EPL and are not very development oriented, especially less so for Canadians with the ridiculously low quota. IMO MLS will be a "destination" league for our top players and the development of the hundreds of young players will have to happen somewhere else.

I just don't see the trends supporting this though. Am I wrong in thinking that more and more national team players are both currently plying their trade within the MLS, and getting their start in MLS academies?

I just don't see the trends supporting this though. Am I wrong in thinking that more and more national team players are both currently plying their trade within the MLS, and getting their start in MLS academies?

By national team players do you mean Canadians? If so I don't think there are any more in the MLS now than previous years. It's always been around 5-10 guys as far as I can remember. There are definitely more in MLS academies, but the academies are a relatively new thing.

By national team players do you mean Canadians? If so I don't think there are any more in the MLS now than previous years. It's always been around 5-10 guys as far as I can remember. There are definitely more in MLS academies, but the academies are a relatively new thing.

By national team players I mean players representing Canada on senior and youth squads.

Archived