Whitecaps 2014-15 Offseason

tmcmurph

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mehdi is a quality depth MLS player. But losing him just opens up more space for Kianz, who is ready to play some of those occasional minutes. Koffie, Laba, Teibert and Kianz in the middle is still solid. With potential international duty for Teibert and maybe U20 and U23 stuff for Kianz, one more body might still be required.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/2014/12/whitecaps-fc-acquire-striker-octavio-rivero-chiles-primer-division-side-ohiggins-fc

Striker Octavio Rivero as a Young Designated Player. So that is in keeping with Robbo's latin flavour to his signings. Young, talented and affordable. I think we'll see him partnered with Manneh and probably see Mattocks traded. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so confused right now. Just because we had a good season we keep our coaches? What about tradition with our yearly coaching change?

Honestly I'm glad Robbo and co. Did a good job and well deserved!

No no, it was 2 coaches the first year then one coach for 2 years and now hopefully 1 coach for 8 years  :)

I like the team he is building and now that we are getting draft picks in the teens I very glad we have an academy in full swing and USL-Pro for them to get time in. 

No no, it was 2 coaches the first year then one coach for 2 years and now hopefully 1 coach for 8 years :)

I like the team he is building and now that we are getting draft picks in the teens I very glad we have an academy in full swing and USL-Pro for them to get time in.

+1

Guest ClaytonA

The other good thing is progress on facilities;

http://sportfacilities.ubc.ca/construction-news/upcoming-projects/national-soccer-development-centre/

National Soccer Development Centre

The University and the Vancouver Whitecaps Football Club have formalized a joint initiative to construct and operate a shared use soccer training facility at UBC. The facility will form the centerpiece of the proposed National Soccer Development Centre (NSDC), which includes a new field house, two grass playing fields, an artificial turf field, and relocation of the existing Varsity turf field. Capital funding for the facilities is split between the Provincial Government ($11.6 million), the Whitecaps ($8.789 million) and UBC Properties Trust for a total of project value of $22 million. The Board of Governors approved this proposal on June 2nd 2014, with construction on the playing fields targeted to start in August 2014 and a completion date of June 2015. The Wolfson West turf field is set to commence in mid-August. The filed house component is expected to be approved by the board in June 2015 and is slated for completion by December 2016.

This has been slipping under the radar outside of the Southsider's forum.

http://www.whitecapsfc.com/wfc2/2014/11/whitecaps-fc-launch-usl-pro-team-update-nsdc

In partnership with UBC and the Government of British Columbia, the club also revealed preliminary renderings of the final phase of the NSDC, featuring a state-of-the-art fieldhouse (subject to final UBC Board of Governors approval), which is set to be completed prior to the start of the 2017 Major League Soccer (MLS) preseason.

The fieldhouse is being designed by Acton Ostry Architects, an award-winning architectural firm based in Vancouver, in collaboration with BBB Architects, internationally recognized sports architects who recently completed the Kia Toronto FC Training Ground & Academy. In total, the multi-campus NSDC includes seven fields – two artificial turf fields at Simon Fraser University, and three grass and two artificial turf fields at UBC.

We've got to keep up with Sporting KC, Portland, and others with the training facilities - and it took almost a decade to find partners. 

I've met Pa-Modou in person a couple of times when he was playing for Roda. He has a great vid on youtube btw of him scoring a wondergoals and celebration in style. He's a topclass defender with strong personality, but I have to say he might be over his prime by now aged 34. He is a real athlete though who's always lived for football so that isn't the question. 

Yes originally. But he is a Norwegian national. I think he speaks like 7 languages.

He says he understands Spanish but doesn't speak it yet. He says he is glad to be learning to speak it from all the Latin players on the Caps.

I think he is cover for Waston and Rodriguez but still nice to have some veteran at CB for the CCL / V's Cup games. 

He is a thug. Not happy they have signed him.

Ya but now he's OUR thug  :)

Okay he went into a bunch of challenges last year that were poorly timed at best and freaking crazy instant red card more likely. Here is hoping he tempers it down a bit and gets his timing back. 

Archived