Sid Seixeiro's open letter to TFC...

thescottc

You know, if the Reds were actually "Canada's club" as they were supposed to be, maybe there would be some freaken esprit de corps. Sure they wouldn't be the best team, but they would develop and grow until they were legendary, and the fan base would show up through the growing pains because there would be a purpose worth cheering for... and I don't mean a shot at a 1 game elimination match in October. 

But on the other hand I'm kinda glad they didn't take that path. Why? Cause seriously the corporate juggernaut that is MLSE is not the organization to create and manage an institution of civic pride and nationalism. It would just feel false, and they would fuck it up for sure, and that would almost be worse than the status quo.

On second thought, hears hoping for that 1 extra game in October and a few garbage minutes for Morgan and De Ro.

Funny.  So many people on here screaming for Nelsen's head for the last year and a half.  When TFC fires him, they're dysfunctional!

I don't see that at all.  I think people who aren't in the know are calling TFC dysfunctional but those of us who are into the team know this was the right move and we're happy.

As for Sid's comments.  Spot on what I've always believed.  People say "ah well it's their job to field a winning team".. so where is the winning team?  Throughout the history of this club Canadians have actually been among the best players we've had.  How many Americans have achieved a status where they are a memorable player?  Bradley is the best American we've had and even he just looks like De Guzman part 2. 

Funny.  So many people on here screaming for Nelsen's head for the last year and a half.  When TFC fires him, they're dysfunctional!

They are dysfunctional though. Even if the Nelsen firing was the right move.

They now have a rookie GM running the team under a rookie coach. Soon they will have a new President of the overall company. We could be talking about a new management team again next year as the new CEO will want to install his own people.

The current champion of the team has one foot out the door (Lieweke).

The star player that they built their marketing plan around will probably never play for them again (Defoe).

They have once again hired another inexperienced coach.

A lot of people are trying to downplay that this team is in 'crisis'. But I've seen this story over and over again following this team. They have gone and made the same move they have made every time with this club. TFC fans have every right to be skeptical about what is happening.

When Leiweke said the team would make the playoffs a year ago I thought he was nuts.  The fact we are in a playoff spot is so much better than I ever wished and we're where I expected us to be after we signed the bloody big players. 

I like the direction we are headed.  Nelsen was the final Kevin Payne employee left around it was only a matter of time before he was gone, especially since he was a huge fail. I know people will be quick to point to the past but this is clearly a different situation we have here.

Vanney fits the model of the ideal MLS coach though. He is in the mold of the "10 year MLS veteran, 3 years in Europe, US international) that a lot of the successful MLS coaches fit (see Olsen, Heaps, Kreiss, the SKC guy - can't think of his name, even Curtin who they play tonight). Vanney may actually have more experience than any of those guys had when they started. Not saying I think he will be successful, we just never had one of these types of coaches before.

Believe me, I agree these past 8 years have been dysfunctional. I just don't think the firing of Nelsen is indicative of it.

I'm just happy that the TFC I watch now has the chance to be fun to watch. With Nelsen it was always the same style, same players, same everything and it was boring. I don't know if Vanney will be any different but at least there's a chance. On paper TFC is one of the best teams in the league, but under Nelsen we played like we were trying to avoid relegation instead of trying to dominate.

Also how annoying was Nelsen in press conferences? Most irritating manager ever.

He's asked questions and he just sits there like a know it all with a stupid smirk on his face as if he's being asked cute questions by a 3rd grade class. Condescending.

Not to mention the ridiculous excuses and complaints.

Also how annoying was Nelsen in press conferences? Most irritating manager ever.

He's asked questions and he just sits there like a know it all with a stupid smirk on his face as if he's being asked cute questions by a 3rd grade class. Condescending.

Not to mention the ridiculous excuses and complaints.

I'm picturing a Canadian hockey coach going to Argentina to coach hockey.

Like I said in the other thread

Sid is on acid  :)

TFC have developed a lot of players for the CMNT and offered paying jobs to a bunch more. I don't see how being in 4th place (with 2 games in hand on 3 of the 4 teams around you) is an embarrassment. Yes you've had some crap-show nights but you've also won a bunch more and are heading to the playoffs. Hardly an embarrassment season wise.

Like I said in the other thread

Sid is on acid  :)

TFC have developed a lot of players for the CMNT and offered paying jobs to a bunch more. I don't see how being in 4th place (with 2 games in hand on 3 of the 4 teams around you) is an embarrassment. Yes you've had some crap-show nights but you've also won a bunch more and are heading to the playoffs. Hardly an embarrassment season wise.

Actually we're a below .500 club for the season including V Cup games.  The fact that this club just bowed out of a CCL spot without a peep when they were talking about being a world wide club is a joke.  Nelsen was secretly happy though as we all knew he thought the CCL would hurt his job prospects, well look how that turned out.  That was an embarrassment.

Is hockey the most played sport in Argentina?

Of course not, it was simply my amusing mental image when you said that.  Made me laugh :) Frankly, my opinion is that Nelson condescends because HE thinks soccer in Canada is like hockey in Argentina.  We know nothing, which leads to his little smirks and media hand-offs.  I never liked it either.

TFC's carousel prevented anyone from really sticking around... and the top yanks in appearances  for TFC are Barrett, Wynne, Harden and Jeremy Hall. lulz 

My point exactly, the Americans are basically mercenaries for us and we can't seem to ever get a steady core together.  Luis Silva probably could have turned into a good American player for us if we kept him around too. 

Actually I guess Maurice Edu would be our best American player just for the fee we received. 

My point exactly, the Americans are basically mercenaries for us and we can't seem to ever get a steady core together.  Luis Silva probably could have turned into a good American player for us if we kept him around too. 

Actually I guess Maurice Edu would be our best American player just for the fee we received. 

by that point, pretty much any player is a mercenary for us...

by that point, pretty much any player is a mercenary for us..

Are Wynne and Barrett the only Americans that stayed for 2 full seasons?  I guess Wiedeman did as well now but he's a back up and will probably be gone sooner than later. 

I think that's a really telling statistic especially since TFC is usually composed of 50% Americans.

I truly believe that the only way for long term success is through a Canadian core.  Guys who will take pride in playing for TFC, dream of playing for the club and even make an effort on their part to stay at this club. 

Archived