Canada Costa Rica in Toronto this fall?

Blackdude

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why?

Yes the artificial turf thing is an issue but also I just think Regina is so far down the pecking order that it is highly unlikely. I think a TFC vs Whitecaps charity game or pre-season warm up is more likely even with our crappy March weather.

Or maybe it's just my typical SK have-not mentality coming out :)

Yes the artificial turf thing is an issue but also I just think Regina is so far down the pecking order that it is highly unlikely. I think a TFC vs Whitecaps charity game or pre-season warm up is more likely even with our crappy March weather.

Or maybe it's just my typical SK have-not mentality coming out :)

Well, considering you are a "have", you might want to change that mentality.  Little Regina builds a beautiful new stadium that Toronto can only dream about.  The artificial turf is the only argument and it is lame, that can be made against this great new stadium. 

My point exactly and it has been for years.  As long as someone else agrees to play, have at it.

Wondering if the CSA looks at the attendance for the women's friendly in Winnipeg (about 28k, as I recall) and begins to question their reliance on the traditional venues (Toronto, Montreal, and to a lesser extent Edmonton and Vancouver) with an openness to Winnipeg, Ottawa, or Regina when the stadium is ready (add at least 1 year to the current projected completion date). The last version of the hex featured matches in February, March and October, and while most Canadian pitches likely aren't viable in late winter, Winnipeg would be more reliably inhospitable in October than TO, Montreal, or Vancouver.

Even disregarding competitive reasons, Regina, the new Ottawa park, and IG Field have an extra 10-15,000 seats compared to Saputo and BMO, and if filled, those represent a significant injection of cash to the CSA coffers.

Wondering if the CSA looks at the attendance for the women's friendly in Winnipeg (about 28k, as I recall) and begins to question their reliance on the traditional venues (Toronto, Montreal, and to a lesser extent Edmonton and Vancouver) with an openness to Winnipeg, Ottawa, or Regina when the stadium is ready (add at least 1 year to the current projected completion date). The last version of the hex featured matches in February, March and October, and while most Canadian pitches likely aren't viable in late winter, Winnipeg would be more reliably inhospitable in October than TO, Montreal, or Vancouver.

Even disregarding competitive reasons, Regina, the new Ottawa park, and IG Field have an extra 10-15,000 seats compared to Saputo and BMO, and if filled, those represent a significant injection of cash to the CSA coffers.

A couple of points to remember about places like Regina and Winnipeg.  They would have very Canada friendly crowds at any games.  These places have a good track record for supporting Canada in sporting events (world junior hockey most notably).  I think slapping a maple leaf and calling it Canada will go a long way even if it's not a soccer hotbed.  Also, there aren't that many big time sporting events brought to these places.  Having a friendly or a World Cup qualifying game would be a big deal.  Combine that with my first point about supporting Canadian teams, and also the ticketholder databases that the Roughriders and Bombers have, you have some real potential.

I'd love to test this theory out by holding a MNT friendly in Winnipeg - Canada vs a Central American/Carribean club.  I'll bet it draws much better than it would in the traditional cities like Vancouver or Toronto or even Edmonton, where the novelty has somewhat worn off.  Could be a nice source of revenue, bringing a match a year to these places.  Often enough to build some interest, but not often enough for it to become routine.

Jason

Well, considering you are a "have", you might want to change that mentality. Little Regina builds a beautiful new stadium that Toronto can only dream about. The artificial turf is the only argument and it is lame, that can be made against this great new stadium.

I'm not disagreeing on any of those points and several that have come after. Still have a gut instinct that it won't happen though.

Regina in late October or mid November verses a Central American opponent in a crucial qualifier ... That would be just the thing.

Heck I could find billets for a bunch of Vs with my soccer buddies :)

I find it funny that Vancouver is considered a traditional city.  I'll just get over it though.......  

+1 for Winnipeg, they would do a great job hosting and I have no doubt the would pull big numbers for a CMNT game.  

A couple of points to remember about places like Regina and Winnipeg.  They would have very Canada friendly crowds at any games.  These places have a good track record for supporting Canada in sporting events (world junior hockey most notably).  I think slapping a maple leaf and calling it Canada will go a long way even if it's not a soccer hotbed.  Also, there aren't that many big time sporting events brought to these places.  Having a friendly or a World Cup qualifying game would be a big deal.  Combine that with my first point about supporting Canadian teams, and also the ticketholder databases that the Roughriders and Bombers have, you have some real potential.

I'd love to test this theory out by holding a MNT friendly in Winnipeg - Canada vs a Central American/Carribean club.  I'll bet it draws much better than it would in the traditional cities like Vancouver or Toronto or even Edmonton, where the novelty has somewhat worn off.  Could be a nice source of revenue, bringing a match a year to these places.  Often enough to build some interest, but not often enough for it to become routine.

Jason

This would be an interesting experiment. I'll grant that Winnipeg would reliably produce a pro-Canada crowd. However, the recent friendly benefited (hugely, maybe) from two additional factors:

1) The opponent being USA. This is not A high profile opponent, this is THE high profile opponent, regardless of the Americans position in women's football.

2) The women's national team arguably is higher profile than the MNT, and will likely remain so, at least through WWC 2015.

Still, it can't hurt to try. Not much harm** in having a disappointing crowd of 11,000 show up in Winnipeg (or Regina, or elsewhere) for Canada-Panama when the same friendly would likely have pulled in a similar number of spectators at BMO. 

** I am not counting the hurt feelings on behalf of some MNT players about having to play a match on turf.

Wondering if the CSA looks at the attendance for the women's friendly in Winnipeg (about 28k, as I recall) and begins to question their reliance on the traditional venues (Toronto, Montreal, and to a lesser extent Edmonton and Vancouver) with an openness to Winnipeg, Ottawa, or Regina when the stadium is ready (add at least 1 year to the current projected completion date).

Can this be right, going back almost 10 years to 2005 (where we played at Swangard), the only CMNT games that haven't been at BMO/Saputo have been:

2013-05-28 Edmonton, Commonwealth Stadium

2008-10-15 Edmonton, Commonwealth Stadium

2006-09-04 Montréal, Complexe sportif Claude-Robillard

2005-07-02 Burnaby, Swangard Stadium

That is pathetic beyond words.  There have been no CMNT games at the new BC Place or IGF. 

Saskatchewan learned its lesson from Winnipeg and has plenty of time built in to complete its stadium.  They are saying spring/summer of 2017 for opening but the bulk should be complete by summer/fall 2016 and they are already underway.

People are raving about TD Place in Ottawa, and it looked great on TV the other night; and in the next few months, Hamilton will join the list with a great facility for soccer.

It's time to take the game to the people, like the women do.

I think problem is surface these new stadiums have installed.  If it was grass or hybrid grass, then CMNT wouldn't have any problems playing in these new stadiums. Point is: it has nothing to do with city, but more to do with turf. 

You'll always get the spread around vs the play at home. Remember BMO Field is the de facto national stadium and the reason why they played the Jamaica game there was because the CSA is forced to play at least one home game per year at BMO. They thought that it was better to put the games there. I only would want to play in the Prairies in November where we could get an advantage in a crucial WCQ. I don't get how exciting it is to play at BC Place, a giant stadium at room temperature. It's not worth the extra 3 hours of flight. Toronto has done well as an home pitch and it's not like there was a problem with playing at BMO. Canada is playing well at BMO, but I don't see Russia playing in Siberia, because Luzhniki does the job. The Mexicans have recently gone away from spreading games around and are only at Azteca. Why should we change it really? We're forced to play at BMO once a year, we should find ways to make it a fortress.

Because the majority of the people in this country couldn't name one player on the team, whereas Christine Sinclair gets national commercials.

Sinclair gets national commercials because they won a Bronze medal at the Olympics and because she's that good. I don't think that spreading it around would help the profile. Only winning would help (or that a player becomes a starter at a top club like EPL, or one of those big CL clubs)

Because the majority of the people in this country couldn't name one player on the team, whereas Christine Sinclair gets national commercials.

It really wouldn't make a difference on this point.  We play in kits without names, we rarely score, we have a rotating lineup as we go through a change of era.  Playing a one off match in Winnipeg isn't going to make Winnipeggers remember who Tosaint Ricketts is.

You'll always get the spread around vs the play at home. Remember BMO Field is the de facto national stadium and the reason why they played the Jamaica game there was because the CSA is forced to play at least one home game per year at BMO. They thought that it was better to put the games there. I only would want to play in the Prairies in November where we could get an advantage in a crucial WCQ. I don't get how exciting it is to play at BC Place, a giant stadium at room temperature. It's not worth the extra 3 hours of flight. Toronto has done well as an home pitch and it's not like there was a problem with playing at BMO. Canada is playing well at BMO, but I don't see Russia playing in Siberia, because Luzhniki does the job. The Mexicans have recently gone away from spreading games around and are only at Azteca. Why should we change it really? We're forced to play at BMO once a year, we should find ways to make it a fortress.

The agreement is for more than 1.  It doesnt have to spread around equally, there is no problem with national stadium, but give other places a sniff.  

Im guessing you've never been to BC place, but its a hell of a lot better home venue in the winter for CMNT than Arizona. 

I think problem is surface these new stadiums have installed.  If it was grass or hybrid grass, then CMNT wouldn't have any problems playing in these new stadiums. Point is: it has nothing to do with city, but more to do with turf. 

Nope.

It actually has to do with the stadium funding agreement that was signed that guarranteed a certain amount/percentage of CMNT games to be played at BMO. 

The agreement is for more than 1. It doesnt have to spread around equally, there is no problem with national stadium, but give other places a sniff.

Im guessing you've never been to BC place, but its a hell of a lot better home venue in the winter for CMNT than Arizona.

Arizona's cheaper. That's why they can play there. How many people would pay for a camp poutine team? And you would need to pay the other team their flight and hotel accomodations and some federations would ask money for playing a friendly. If you play in Arizona, the CSA doesn't need to pay the other team and costs are split and you often get a promoter. It's a better decision financially.

Arizona's cheaper. That's why they can play there. How many people would pay for a camp poutine team? And you would need to pay the other team their flight and hotel accomodations and some federations would ask money for playing a friendly. If you play in Arizona, the CSA doesn't need to pay the other team and costs are split and you often get a promoter. It's a better decision financially.

That would be the same argument for all home games.  Why have any games in Canada then? 

Nope.

It actually has to do with the stadium funding agreement that was signed that guarranteed a certain amount/percentage of CMNT games to be played at BMO. 

Yes, but CMNT also played their WCQ games in Montreal in the past because natural turf.  I remember when BMO field had fieldturf, players complain about it and we end up losing CMNT games until we got rid of fieldturf

Also keep in mind that BMO field agreement doesn't mean it has to be CMNT playing there yearly.  CSA can host women's game to meet BMO field requirements to hosting a game there.   I believe last year that was the case when CWNT played against USA at BMO field.  

Archived