Canada Costa Rica in Toronto this fall?

Blackdude

Nope.

It actually has to do with the stadium funding agreement that was signed that guarranteed a certain amount/percentage of CMNT games to be played at BMO. 

The agreement was changed in 2011. The CSA only has to play 1 game per year at BMO Field now (well technically sell 16,000 tickets). They aren't forced to play all games at BMO Field anymore. Besides even before the change they never met the target amount of matches.

TFC07 is right. It has EVERYTHING to do with playing surface. The CMNT only play on grass. And they are right for doing so. I wish MLS would follow suit and ban these shitty fake surfaces like the one at BC Place.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The agreement was changed in 2011. The CSA only has to play 1 game per year at BMO Field now (well technically sell 16,000 tickets). They aren't forced to play all games at BMO Field anymore. Besides even before the change they never met the target amount of matches.

TFC07 is right. It has EVERYTHING to do with playing surface. The CMNT only play on grass. And they are right for doing so. I wish MLS would follow suit and ban these shitty fake surfaces like the one at BC Place.

My mistake.

Agree about plastic fields, they aren't ideal.

Why?

I'm not really interested in this debate. Quite frankly I think its over.

The technology still isn't there yet.

Grass is better for the game. Not sure how anyone that is interested in keeping the game as authentic as possible would be in favour of playing on the fake surfaces. The game play isn't the same, there is an increase in injuries on it and player energy is sapped during hotter weather.

Maybe in the next few years they will develop something that better mimics a grass playing surface. The hyrbrid surfaces are interesting, but those are still mostly grass.

Archived