Winnipeg Game May 8th - Organization

rob.notenboom

Just wondering a couple of things about the upcoming CWNT game in Winnipeg:

1) Who else got tickets in 144? I went on to buy some early on the first day and they were almost completely sold out. I managed to buy the last 5 and they are scattered all over the section. I'm not sure if this means that they were bought up by whoever (mistakenly reading 'Canadian Supporters Section' as 'Canadian Fans Section' or if there are a lot of Vs in Winnipeg who managed to snap most of them up.

2) If it is the latter, and most of those tickets are in the hands of Vs, is anyone planning on doing any pre-game TIFO coordination, pre-game party organization, etc?

3) If most of those tickets are in the hands of whoever, I'm wondering if this might not be an opportunity to get a few people into the supporters groove. Getting the section going Vs or no Vs might be kind of fun … maybe some merch (scarves especially) to sell right to people in the stands (given that they will likely not have any … I'm envisioning tons of Canada Hockey jerseys), sheets with an explanation and some chants on them, and several well positioned people to start getting the chanting going. Call it 'Canadian Supporter Education'.

Anyway, just a thought.

Just wondering a couple of things about the upcoming CWNT game in Winnipeg:

1) Who else got tickets in 144? I went on to buy some early on the first day and they were almost completely sold out. I managed to buy the last 5 and they are scattered all over the section. I'm not sure if this means that they were bought up by whoever (mistakenly reading 'Canadian Supporters Section' as 'Canadian Fans Section' or if there are a lot of Vs in Winnipeg who managed to snap most of them up.

2) If it is the latter, and most of those tickets are in the hands of Vs, is anyone planning on doing any pre-game TIFO coordination, pre-game party organization, etc?

3) If most of those tickets are in the hands of whoever, I'm wondering if this might not be an opportunity to get a few people into the supporters groove. Getting the section going Vs or no Vs might be kind of fun … maybe some merch (scarves especially) to sell right to people in the stands (given that they will likely not have any … I'm envisioning tons of Canada Hockey jerseys), sheets with an explanation and some chants on them, and several well positioned people to start getting the chanting going. Call it 'Canadian Supporter Education'.

Anyway, just a thought.

Well, I was a bit late to the party as I also did not expect that sales in 144 would take off that quickly. When I checked TM, most of the lower bowl was sold except for parts of the end zones. I managed to snag a pair in Section 143 right on the aisle (Row 13 Seat 21 & 22) between 144 and 143 so a bit further behind the goal than 144. I figured that I might just migrate across to 144 when things get crazy.

I am up for whatever the Vs are planning to do before, during and after the game but I think the host Winnipeg Vs should provide some guidance as to the plan since we are visiting their traditional turf. Thoughts anyone?

Not sure if anyone is paying much attention to this, but there are still tickets in 143 although they are slowly getting bought up. There might be 30 or so left … I forgot to count.

They also opened up two more sections on the second level as those tickets are also starting to disappear. It would be pretty cool if this game sold out.

Edit: There are ~107 seats left in 143, almost all toward the back of the section.

I was kind of expecting to see some Winnipeg Vs jumping all over this opportunity to have one of our National teams play in their fine city. But so far it has been mostly the sound of crickets. I suspect that it must be because they are planning something so spectacular that it must be kept under wraps until it can be announced to the rest of us.

Either that or maybe they are fine with having Vs from Saskatchewan and Alberta plan their party?

OOp. Sorry for being AWOL. Going from bad to worse at work right now so the timing couldn't be poorer for this event (for me) but it is what it is.

1st. No idea if anything in the way of organization is in the works as we speak. No one has contacted me as of yet but that doesn't mean there aren't plans already in motion "off camera" as it were. But....

2nd. Still need 10 tickets and counting myself. Have informal inquiries about getting a portion of a section together. So... if there are any Vs who haven't bought tickets yet and want to join Cheeta, the Wee Elf, and various sundry characters let me know soon so I can throw a number at them. Not promising at this point and it might not be possible but giving it a try.

3rd. Whatever happens with seating there will definitely be something set up for a pre-match marshaling point and post match analysis/beers. (Usual haunts. Shannon's. The Grove maybe. Bit cozy and I'm not sure if E & C will be open a-gin by May but might be an option) If numbers warrant could probably get group transport arranged to and from the stadium to-boot.

Bit confused right now but its still early days. As we know more we'll know more!

Shoot, I meant to post this in this thread and not the other one. Cheeta, Sting, and dsqpr could you guys either call me or text me, I want to talk to you about a few ideas we have brewing for organization for this game for both sections 143 & 144. We want some input, Rob Notenboom and I. Just easier to talk it out over the phone than via the board. Number is 306 370 7930.

I was kind of expecting to see some Winnipeg Vs jumping all over this opportunity to have one of our National teams play in their fine city. But so far it has been mostly the sound of crickets. I suspect that it must be because they are planning something so spectacular that it must be kept under wraps until it can be announced to the rest of us.

Either that or maybe they are fine with having Vs from Saskatchewan and Alberta plan their party?

I'll be there, not in a supporter section but with a good crew of friends who actually initiated a group buy before I had a chance to do so. I don't recall exactly where but somewhere in the 200s.

Jono we'll meet up for a beer at the pre-match party (and then again at the post-match).

On another note, we'll have official Voyageurs merch to sell to people at the pre- and post-match parties, plus we could probably try and sell some swag (who are we kidding, I have ALL the swag gentlemen) at the game too.

Shoot, I meant to post this in this thread and not the other one. Cheeta, Sting, and dsqpr could you guys either call me or text me, I want to talk to you about a few ideas we have brewing for organization for this game for both sections 143 & 144. We want some input, Rob Notenboom and I. Just easier to talk it out over the phone than via the board. Number is 306 370 7930.

I would be interested in helping out too. I have been thinking about how we might actually be able to pull off a Maple Leaf TIFO for at least Section 144. I am coming to the game with at least one other from Edmonton. Not sure about the status of Mapleblood for this one yet.

We really need to get this thread merged with the other one, which has essentially turned into a operations planning group as well lol. And yeah, more or less I was wanting to discuss tifo as well as (and some might not like this but it is better to incorporate the probably kids in attendance in the two sections) G-rated chants for the game. Just cutting the profanity out of chants.

We really need to get this thread merged with the other one, which has essentially turned into a operations planning group as well lol. And yeah, more or less I was wanting to discuss tifo as well as (and some might not like this but it is better to incorporate the probably kids in attendance in the two sections) G-rated chants for the game. Just cutting the profanity out of chants.

We're red, we're white, we're very polite! Canada, Canada!

We're red, we're white, we're very polite! Canada, Canada!

I remember the Americans behind us in Denver.

Us: "We love America! We Do! Oh, America We Love You!" After the security situation was sorted out in our favor.

Them: "These are the most polite hecklers I've ever seen!"

Well...

there was some confusion, at least on my end, of how exactly to get tickets in the supporters section. And I had twenty people waiting to find out what was going on...

So basically, I came up with a phoney football club name and got a group package. We are in 137, same end of the field.

Vs aside, I am hoping/thinking that it will be well attended. The Captain of my former amateur club got forty peeps together. If the same goes for most of the amateur teams in the peg, plus kids teams....

Should be a good crowd.

As long as the people in the crowd are ready to join in with some of the simplest of chants, things like CANADA *clap clap clap* etc... then it will be a good time. Still haven't been able to reach, or have heard back from stadium operations. It's making me quite nervous that they are not going to be cooperative. If anyone in Winnipeg can spare the time, please go down to the stadium and try and speak with Kevin Austin in their Stadium Operations department. He's part of the Blue Bombers staff and is seemingly unreachable by phone.

• 4 weeks later...

Update on all this: We're talking with Dominic Martin from the CSA to get things coordinated for this game. He's acting as our liaison with stadium staff to make sure things will be sorted for 144 and 143. Heck we might even be able to get a capo stand temporarily set up for this game too. Anyway, things are better. Doug is checking in on which pre-match pub we will meet at. I'll ask Dominic if the CSA plans to be anywhere before or after the match, might be able to get the players to come where we are, or for us to know where they'll be so we can hang with them after the game.

• 2 weeks later...

This should possibly be in the other thread, but here is the USA roster:

http://www.bigapplesoccer.com/us/wnt.php?article_id=36833

GOALKEEPERS (3): Ashlyn Harris (Washington Spirit), Jill Loyden (Sky Blue FC), Hope Solo (Seattle Reign FC)
DEFENDERS (9): Stephanie Cox (Seattle Reign FC), Crystal Dunn (Washington Spirit), Whitney Engen (Tyresö), Meghan Klingenberg (Tyresö), Ali Krieger (Washington Spirit), Nikki Marshall (Portland Thorns FC), Kelley O'Hara (Sky Blue FC), Christie Rampone (Sky Blue FC), Becky Sauerbrunn (FC Kansas City)
MIDFIELDERS (6): Morgan Brian (Virginia), Lauren Holiday (FC Kansas City), Julie Johnston (Chicago Red Stars), Carli Lloyd (WNY Flash), Allie Long (Portland Thorns FC), Heather O'Reilly (Boston Breakers)
FORWARDS (4): Sydney Leroux (Seattle Reign FC), Christen Press (Tyresö), Amy Rodriguez (FC Kansas City), Abby Wambach (WNY Flash)

Archived