Canada’s Women’s National Team to host Germany and Japan in Vancouver

Sport Shaman

And now, the Germans are coming too!!!

http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/?id=bst&media=WAVS&type=TV_Shows&movie=Simpsons&quote=germans.txt&file=germans.wav

From the CSA:

"Canada’s Women’s National Team will host two of the world’s most dominant women’s soccer nations in Vancouver in 2014 when it plays Germany, Wednesday 18 June (kickoff 19.00 local) and Japan, Tuesday 28 October (kickoff 19.00 local). Both Women’s International Friendly matches will be played at BC Place."

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-s-women-s-national-team-to-host-germany-and-japan-in-vancouver-p155884

For supporters of the CWNT this year will be an embarrassment of riches. More road trips than you can shake your credit card at, but it should be a lot of fun trying to get to as many of these as possible. But first things first, "Goin' to Winnipeg!!"

Do you think the French will come in early 2015? Or the English? We played both in Europe.

EDIT: Although I guess in 2015 if we play Four Nations in China, then Cyprus(or Algarve) Cup we will have room for maybe only one or two friendlies in May before the big event.

If the CSA plan to use 6 host cities, then Canada will need to play in Ottawa and Montreal. ( Canada already played against China in Moncton)

And now, the Germans are coming too!!!

http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/?id=bst&media=WAVS&type=TV_Shows&movie=Simpsons&quote=germans.txt&file=germans.wav

From the CSA:

"Canada’s Women’s National Team will host two of the world’s most dominant women’s soccer nations in Vancouver in 2014 when it plays Germany, Wednesday 18 June (kickoff 19.00 local) and Japan, Tuesday 28 October (kickoff 19.00 local). Both Women’s International Friendly matches will be played at BC Place."

http://www.canadasoccer.com/canada-s-women-s-national-team-to-host-germany-and-japan-in-vancouver-p155884

For supporters of the CWNT this year will be an embarrassment of riches. More road trips than you can shake your credit card at, but it should be a lot of fun trying to get to as many of these as possible. But first things first, "Goin' to Winnipeg!!"

18 June 2014..Vancouver and Germany with Sport Shaman or ... 18th June Fortaleza Brasil for World Cup... aw shucks.. I am going south..enjoy Vancouver and its haunts...

If the CSA plan to use 6 host cities, then Canada will need to play in Ottawa and Montreal. ( Canada already played against China in Moncton)

Montreal does host 2 U20 World Cups. So it's more for Ottawa and Moncton. Especially Moncton after they put turf instead of grass for the CSA to get the events.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

In case no one remembered this game was scheduled for today, I can confirm that we played it. A 2-1 result for Germany with their first goal coming from open play and the second one from the penalty spot. In between those goals we got one from open play that Sophie Schmidt flicked over their keeper. The crowd in BC Place was less than I expected but the Voyageurs were in fine form and good voice that was clearly audible from my vantage point in Sec 245.

The crowd was less than I expected, as well, and pretty passive overall.  Compared to the Olympic qualifiers, there seemed to be little electricity at all.

I think the final score flattered us.  The Germans had at least half a dozen grade A chances, some which they squandered, but most which were foiled by stellar goalkeeping on Leblanc's and MacLeod's part.  Apart from the goaltenders, I thought the only player on our side that played great was Matheson.  Everyone else seemed pretty rusty (including most of the Germans), as there were lots of giveaways due to bad passes or bad anticipation throughout the game.  I hope that Quinn and Buchanan get to play together a lot over the next year, because they have to work on their partnership, especially their communication.

I saw just about no tika-taka play on our part; it looked more like pinball because our midfielders usually lingered on the ball long enough for the Germans to close them down.  To be fair, the Germans usually had the same problem, but had more success attacking up the middle than we did.  We had the best success from long balls booted over the midfield and nicely past the German back line.  When we got to the ball first, the crosses were often very good.

Overall, I'd say we aren't on par with the Germans, but we're close enough that we can manufacture good chances against them without relying on luck.  I can respect that.

In case no one remembered this game was scheduled for today, I can confirm that we played it. A 2-1 result for Germany with their first goal coming from open play and the second one from the penalty spot. In between those goals we got one from open play that Sophie Schmidt flicked over their keeper. The crowd in BC Place was less than I expected but the Voyageurs were in fine form and good voice that was clearly audible from my vantage point in Sec 245.

Glad we were heard. It was definitely a lousy crowd, both in numbers and more importantly in energy. Hopefully some video of the game surfaces at some point.

In case no one remembered this game was scheduled for today

Hopefully some video of the game surfaces at some point.

match was on sportsnet 1.

Damn, I forgot about it. I knew it was on Sportsnet One and planned to record it, but I thought it was next week for some reason. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Fellow Voyageurs,

A link for tickets in our section for the Japan match will be available later tonight or tomorrow.  Thanks for you patience on this.  It will be General Admission as usual.  Even though the match is on a Tuesday night, we hope to have another good group out to support our Players ahead of their hosting the World Cup.

Much Love,

Forever A Team 

Archived