Kara Lang returning?

Blackdude

The part about changing how you move to fix the problem rang a bell with me. When I started playing soccer (at about 20 years old), I used to keep the heel of my planted foot down on the ground when kicking, and that meant twisting that knee when my body turned. Eventually, I started feeling pain in the tendons of both knees, and it wasn't until I fixed my form that the pain went away. Hopefully, there are similar simple changes Kara can make to stop stressing her tendons.

Its great that she believes she can come back, but the path back is extremely difficult. She doesn't only have to recover from the injury, she has to physically and mentally recover the skills required for top-level soccer. The fact that she hasn't played in so long is her biggest issue in my opinion.

Having said that, I'm sure she knows this and she's a fighter. I wish her all the best. Hope to see her playing at her best in the 2015 WC.

JD Miller is a Montreal businessman who co-founded and leads B2ten, a privately funded group that contributes to athletic excellence in Canadian amateur sport. He was strapping on a pair of cross-country skis in the resort town of Mont Tremblant, Que., just after New Year’s when Herdman called him with a question.

Miller said Herdman described Lang as a player: “I absolutely need to get back on the pitch for 2015.”

If this is the case... it does not bode well for the WNT that we are linking out campaign on a player who is not active and had retired for medical reasons, its begs the question are we looking anywhere for players that makes sense or just going back to past glories ?

The main thing I took away from the two UXX world cups last year was that our forwards had poor finishing skills there. The rest of the game was very encouraging, and set up very many chances for goals, but the final step was missing. I think most will get better as they mature, but will it be in time for 2015? I suspect Herdman wants to hedge his bets in that regard.

JD Miller is a Montreal businessman who co-founded and leads B2ten, a privately funded group that contributes to athletic excellence in Canadian amateur sport. He was strapping on a pair of cross-country skis in the resort town of Mont Tremblant, Que., just after New Year’s when Herdman called him with a question.

Miller said Herdman described Lang as a player: “I absolutely need to get back on the pitch for 2015.”

If this is the case... it does not bode well for the WNT that we are linking out campaign on a player who is not active and had retired for medical reasons, its begs the question are we looking anywhere for players that makes sense or just going back to past glories ?

Not sure I'd see it like that. She has the ability and while she'll be a bit rusty, there's plenty of time to find her game feet again. She's very marketable as a person/player (hence the move into media) and with the "phoenix from the ashes" story it will be even better.

• 2 weeks later...
This speaks volumes to our lack of depth. You think the US would need to do this? Pretty sad. We're in a ton of trouble if we roll out the same usual cast and characters in 2015.

I think that we're in a ton of trouble either way. That's what the 2011 WC showed. They are not anymore a top team. Yes, if they get lucky, they can get a result like the Olympics, but the teams are getting better and Canada didn't do a lot to improve.

• 1 month later...
Kara is a very good looking woman.

between her and Kaylyn Kyle we might push aside the US and Alex Morgan as the best looking team on the field.

For what it's worth I'm also impressed by the fashion/appearance of "fashionista" Randy Edwini-Bonsu and some of our men's team (oh Klukowski you handsome devil). At least I'm equal opportunity when I objectify our players.

between her and Kaylyn Kyle we might push aside the US and Alex Morgan as the best looking team on the field.

For what it's worth I'm also impressed by the fashion/appearance of "fashionista" Randy Edwini-Bonsu and some of our men's team (oh Klukowski you handsome devil). At least I'm equal opportunity when I objectify our players.

To Lang and Kyle I would add Sesselman. In beauty we beat the US hands down!

To Lang and Kyle I would add Sesselman. In beauty we beat the US hands down!

Just checked, she's cute too, US-born though isn't she? "Ethnically" Canadian (whatever that means)?

Whatever happened to that youngster with the Italian last name who had all those racy photos on Facebook a few years back? Did that actually affect her career/int'l standing?

While I'd love to see Kara back on the pitch one last time I really hope it isn't at the expense of a long lasting injury. They will be on fake turf for the tournament and I'd hate to see her injured.

As to the depth issue we are not a deeply talented team and never really have been. Other countries are now taking the women's game seriously which means we have a lot of work cut out for us in replacing players when they retire. Ask yourself what are we going to do when Christine Sinclair retires?

Just checked, she's cute too, US-born though isn't she? "Ethnically" Canadian (whatever that means)?

Whatever happened to that youngster with the Italian last name who had all those racy photos on Facebook a few years back? Did that actually affect her career/int'l standing?

I think that was Amanda Cicchini. She was a good striker that coaches forgot.

While I'd love to see Kara back on the pitch one last time I really hope it isn't at the expense of a long lasting injury. They will be on fake turf for the tournament and I'd hate to see her injured.

Luckily, there is no correlation between modern artificial turf and increased rates of injury in professional soccer versus grass.

Luckily, there is no correlation between modern artificial turf and increased rates of injury in professional soccer versus grass.

Provided it is the third gen (3G) FIFA 2 star rated and not the lower grade stuff. The question is what type, quality and rating are the fields that they will be playing on? How old is it? How well kept is it?

Even the Caps field is getting beat up after less than 3 years and it was top of the line when newly installed.

I think only Ian Bridge ever selected her.... he had his eyes on her from 92, Pelerud never seemed to like her... I suspect based on her size, but after Morace was in 2009 Amanda would have been 22, and she was off the radar as a player, she did turn up in most photo features on women's soccer, remember she was first team all - american in 2008. I doubt there was much book on players passed on to her when she came in. It would be interesting to know if Morace ever was given a chance to see her at all ?

I think only Ian Bridge ever selected her.... he had his eyes on her from 92, Pelerud never seemed to like her... I suspect based on her size, but after Morace was in 2009 Amanda would have been 22, and she was off the radar as a player, she did turn up in most photo features on women's soccer, remember she was first team all - american in 2008. I doubt there was much book on players passed on to her when she came in. It would be interesting to know if Morace ever was given a chance to see her at all ?

How Morace and her Italian crew passed over someone with an Italian name as Cicchini, is puzzling. Did Herdman ever bother with her? Now that Herdman is jumping ship I see things going from bad to worst.

• 5 months later...

Archived