Ashtone Morgan

Wingback6

Not sure if something similar exists on the MLS feed. But.. after watching tonights...."performance" and having followed the individuals career since day 1, I feel confident making the following assertion.

He is the best soccer player for Canada (at his position) consequently, considering his age and whatnot: He is our best player.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Problem with Nelsen is he doesn't like his defenders getting forward that much compare to Winter. This is why Morgan isn't starting for TFC.

I would say De Jong is better LB than Morgan right now, but Morgan could potentially become starting LB for Canada if he works on his dribbling and crosses.

Morgan gets a lot of good runs up the left but his crossing really leaves something to be desired IMO. I would say he's a much better option at TFC than Richter.

While the accuracy of his crossing is not GREAT... the rest of his offensive game is phenomenal.. I can't remember the last time I saw a fullback school a dude the way he did. Most of his crosses end up in the box, or as corners. You literally cannot ask more from an FB other than cutting in and scoring.

Name me one successful team in the WORLD that doesn't have fullbacks getting forward.

I agree with you, but however Nelsen simply doesn't trust Morgan enough to give him the freedom to make his runs. Hopefully Nelsen and co watched this game and finally let Morgan start again.

Not sure if something similar exists on the MLS feed. But.. after watching tonights...."performance" and having followed the individuals career since day 1, I feel confident making the following assertion.

He is the best soccer player for Canada (at his position) consequently, considering his age and whatnot: He is our best player.

He is certainly looking like a good player for the future, it is important that he gets playing time now for TFC or wherever he might go, TFC is crying out for FB's who can run down the wings yet Morgan has been on the bench in favour of a slow CB who has made huge errors! The problem with both Morgan and Henry is that they are so young playing the defensive positions there will be some errors and they don't go unoticed!

Morgan was dropped because of terrible positioning that led to goals. Whether it was penalty call, not blocking an outside cross or being caught between two minds, he was dropped for poor defense. Nelson's style has nothing to do with it. Morgan has had a poor run of form and it has nothing to do with anyone but himself. It happens to every player. Its a fluid game with ebbs and flows over a career.

Morgan shouldn't be starting for TFC based on his play but he is still the best option at left back.

Putting Darren O'Dea at left back is a complete joke. Is that we pay $400k for? To have a target center back taking set pieces and playing out of position?

He was decent for Canada tonight, nothing more or less. I'm hoping Tissot is an upgrade in the future because I don't see Morgan progressing to the level required if we're to get to the Hex.

I strongly and respectfully disagree. Morgan will make the GC squad but he will not take the starting role for De Jong unless he is injured. With De Jong still only 27 Morgan may have to wait another 3 or 4 years before he can be a consistent starter. Even then, he may be looking over his shoulder at Tissot sooner rather than later.

So no Morgan is not the best player, he is not even the best left back

While his crosses leave a lot to be desired his willingness to take on defenders is what a wing back is supposed to do. He did that very well. Problem is he was very predictable until near the end and then he did some nice fakes and cut back. More of that please. For me he was third star of the game behind REB and Issey. As far as MLS goes his predictability would be very hard to overcome when other teams play you a lot. I don't know who else TFC has or why the coach doesn't want him attacking but here's hoping his good show tonight inspires him.

I strongly and respectfully disagree. Morgan will make the GC squad but he will not take the starting role for De Jong unless he is injured. With De Jong still only 27 Morgan may have to wait another 3 or 4 years before he can be a consistent starter. Even then, he may be looking over his shoulder at Tissot sooner rather than later.

So no Morgan is not the best player, he is not even the best left back

I'd actually like to see Klukowski recalled, he is still ahead of Morgan. Let's not forget he was our best player 4 years ago, definitely worth another shot.

I'd actually like to see Klukowski recalled, he is still ahead of Morgan. Let's not forget he was our best player 4 years ago, definitely worth another shot.

+1

I keep forgetting about him, but he did get decent minutes for APOEL this season and is still only 32 I believe. The more competition for places the better.

It's his one vs one defending that really puts his team at risk. And he was beaten off the dribble a couple times in this game too, if you were watching closely. It's his unforgivable sin, and something that needs work. Offensively...well...if his job was all offensive he'd be a winger.

Let's keep in mind here that he performs his defensive responsibilities (however poorly) after having been a full on part of the attack. Subsequently I don't think his man marking is that bad, considering he is running box to box more than most (but not all) FB's in MLS. And honestly, if you think his crosses are that bad, than you don't know crosses. He ain't world class, but he is consistent, he knows his job, and he delivers most of the time. If you think different, then I don't know what to say to you.

I'd like to see this too, but I just don't think it's going happen ... MJD and Morgan seem like locks to be the LB selections.

Let's keep in mind here that he performs his defensive responsibilities (however poorly) after having been a full on part of the attack. Subsequently I don't think his man marking is that bad, considering he is running box to box more than most (but not all) FB's in MLS. And honestly, if you think his crosses are that bad, than you don't know crosses. He ain't world class, but he is consistent, he knows his job, and he delivers most of the time. If you think different, then I don't know what to say to you.

Exactly. Morgan was without doubt solid last night. I expect that he's going to split all the LB minutes for several years with De Jong. This is one position where we are well served.

I was basing my man marking assessment more on what I've seen with TFC, even in games where he didn't go blazing up the pitch as much, just so you know. I'm just saying that for him to be THE option at the national level, this needs to improve. And he marks his man well enough...but his reaction time or foot agility to their movement is slower than most and he gets beaten off their movement, with or without the ball, far too often leaving to guys blazing in from the offensive right with far too much space. Seen it quite a bit. It's the big reason why he isn't starting at TFC right now.

He's still young and from what I saw last night, still hungry. I think this issue is something he knows about and is working hard on, and it will improve.

Morgan is one for the future. He's athletic and has a lot of potential, but I sometimes feel he lacks football sense. But his positioning is extremely poor, his dribbling needs improvement and decision-making naive. He is one of those frustrating players who are brilliant for twenty minutes and then ends up costing his side a goal. Hopefully with age and experience his decision-making (when to make runs, expend energy, sit back, etc) and positioning improves. At present, he's our third best left back.

+1

I keep forgetting about him, but he did get decent minutes for APOEL this season and is still only 32 I believe. The more competition for places the better.

Personally, this is one of the players from that generation I think we need to cut loose. For me - I don't care where he's playing or how much time - in this last qualifying cycle (for what he did play) he was not good at all and his body language, to me, was that he did not give a ****. I don't think he wants it badly and we don't need guys like that surrounding our younger players.

• 1 year later...

With Justin Morrow coming in as starting LB, Ashtone Morgan was bound to see a large reduction in playing time in 2014. But, I have been surprised to see him get as few minutes as he has in 2014. He's seen all of 1 minute of action in 14 MLS games and 169 minutes in 2 VCup games, and has recently been out of the 18 altogether.

What do folks here think of this? Is Morgan injured? Is his time at the club done? Should he be loaned out to see more action? In the last scenario, perhaps FC Edmonton could potentially use a starting LB with Lance Laing looking very good as a wing in the last game.

Archived