VOYAGEURS CUP 2013 Semi-Final 1st Leg Wednesday 24th April (R)

Let's see...what's the result here...

Toronto had Morgan, Henry, Bekker, Osorio and Welshman

Vancouver had Teibert

+1

Montreal started Ouimette, Tissot and Bernier

+3

and Edmonton started Cox, Saiko, and Edwards

+3

So that's 12 that noone can argue with, so +10 wins.

That's not including LeRoy (who is basically Canadian, but for some reason Soccerway is listing him as American...not sure don't know enough about him, and also Mallan Roberts, who is working very hard to be permanent Canadian by this summer. Which would make 14. (and just to appease, if you want to count Koffie, fine, that's 15).

I'm actually surprised, given how the teams usually historically make their lineups for this tournament, that so many people voted under 5.

Not trying to start a s""t storm here but do you guys think it's feasible SCHEDULE WISE to have:

2 NASL teams do Home/Away Series

then

Winner NASL team in a ROUND ROBIN with 3MLS teams?

Was thinking about RoundRobin tournament but with 5teams people would complain someone might Drop a game......While if we keep it Even with say last 2games being at Same KICKOFF Times.

Current format for the teams that go thru to the FINAL is basically 4games....a Round Robin format would mean an extra 2games(based on even 4team group). While an NASL team could have a Great Opportunity for Extra cash into their budget in a Round Robin Format & some serious games even before the NASL season Starts.

Would the NASL and MLS Schedule Allow for that you think? Or would it be too crowded.

Not trying to start a s""t storm here but do you guys think it's feasible SCHEDULE WISE to have:

2 NASL teams do Home/Away Series

then

Winner NASL team in a ROUND ROBIN with 3MLS teams?

Was thinking about RoundRobin tournament but with 5teams people would complain someone might Drop a game......While if we keep it Even with say last 2games being at Same KICKOFF Times.

Current format for the teams that go thru to the FINAL is basically 4games....a Round Robin format would mean an extra 2games(based on even 4team group). While an NASL team could have a Great Opportunity for Extra cash into their budget in a Round Robin Format & some serious games even before the NASL season Starts.

Would the NASL and MLS Schedule Allow for that you think? Or would it be too crowded.

I think it has more to do with CCL starting in mid summer. Results have to be earlier than we'd like. Good question though about the playoffs. How do we work 5 or 6 teams? I'd like to see more D2 vs MLS action to help promote the sport in the D2 cities.

I think it has more to do with CCL starting in mid summer. Results have to be earlier than we'd like. Good question though about the playoffs. How do we work 5 or 6 teams? I'd like to see more D2 vs MLS action to help promote the sport in the D2 cities.

FC Edmonton started their NASL season on April 6th

Whitecaps started their MLS season on March 2nd

Say 2 NASL teams play Home/Away series they could in Theory play April 10/17 (weather permitting...)

Then the ROUND ROBIN Tournament:

April 24th - current date

May 1st - current date

May 15th - current date

May 29th - current date

June 12th

June 26th

The CURRENT 2012/2013 CONCACAF CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Schedule Starts July 31st-August 2nd so IT IS POSSIBLE to have a NASL Home/Away Series & a ROUND ROBIN TOURNAMENT of 4teams(3MLS & 1NASL winner of the Home/Away Series). The dates I inputted where all theory of course the CSA Has Room to move it around a bit.

The "current plan" is once a second NASL team exists(Ottawa) then they play a Home/Away series ANYWAY!!! All they have to do is to add 2Extra game days and make it a RoundRobin Tournament. Maybe we should get in touch with Jason de Vos about it, ask the CSA some Questions!!!!

The "current plan" is once a second NASL team exists(Ottawa) then they play a Home/Away series ANYWAY!!! All they have to do is to add 2Extra game days and make it a RoundRobin Tournament. Maybe we should get in touch with Jason de Vos about it, ask the CSA some Questions!!!!

I would really like to see more MLS vs D2 matchups. It is a huge test for the D2 teams and they get exposure they never will in the D2 league. Having a pair or trio of D2 teams play against each other is a waste. They need something to draw in the fans and get some media attention. An MLS team visiting does help a lot.

Some are painting the result as inevitable given the second-rate squad fielded by Nelsen, but I think that's a bit revisionist. I saw plenty of tweets pre-match suggesting Toronto was trying to "end it early" by starting Wiedeman and Earnshaw (as opposed to Braun and Emery Welshman last week). And though partly due to injuries, this Montreal team was far from first choice.

Keeper: Frei (TFC), Bush (MTL). Both backups, but the one with a far greater pedigree didn't do himself any favours, spilling a couple rebounds into the most dangerous positions.

Defense: Both teams started one regular starter in his best position: Morgan for Toronto and Brovsky for Montreal. Tissot and Lefevre are academy players with less experience than Henry. Camara is nobody's centre back, while Califf is also third-string CB, and Richter is chopped liver.

Forward: Both teams arguably started two strikers. Toronto started (if you count Koevermans) their first and probably 4th best. Montreal went with #2 and #3.

Midfield: This is where the difference is a bit more stark. Mallace and Warner were poor in the first leg. They lost their spots to Romero and Arnaud. Huge upgrade. Still, without Felipe and maybe Pisanu you can't say it was their best. On the Toronto side, Bekker and Osorio are clearly second-string, but Silva and Hall didn't perform much better.

If we're just tallying up depth chart positions, it's pretty close before you look at the midfields. Even with the midfield, you wouldn't expect a 6 goal gulf in quality.

I'll say this about Montreal's defenders. Camara is a starter. He has played every game this year. Tissot and Iapichino were fighting to start as a left back and since Iapichino played last week, Tissot got the nod yesterday. Nesta, Ferrari and Rivas were injured so, he had to play one of Ouimette and Lefevre and he chose Lefevre. It's arguably the best defense they could have started.

Archived