Edson Edward

Dub Narcotic

Fullback from Ottawa born in 1988, Edward came up through the Ottawa Fury youth program. Did four years at Graceland University in the NCAA and played PDL with several teams. Signed as an undrafted free agent by FC Dallas in 2010, cut in 2011 and played in 2012 with Puerto Rico in NASL. Signed by FC Edmonton in the 2013 pre-season.

• 4 years later...

Of course Edward is being hyped up by Dalglish, managers tend to hype up their talent. But really, he shouldn't be anywhere near the national team outside of maybe a camp poutine. And Dalglish considers him a starter for that national team? I could not disagree more.

Don't get me wrong, Edward is a decent NASL / USL level player, but this is the best level he will ever play in his career. He's only in the conversation among some because we have no natural RB's. IMO, he's very good defensively, but he's not great going forward, and makes lots of careless fouls as well. Ledgerwood is a far better option at RB. So is Aird. So is Kadin Chung. So are Ouimette and even Henry for that matter.

Much ado about nothing. Even as an Eddie Edward fan, Dalglish's comments are laughable.

Dalglish started him at RW last week so shouldn't be talking about him starting at RB in the national team. 

Ouimette and Chung are not much better than him at RB until proven otherwise. They all play at the same level and none stands out. Ouimette was very weak in mls, should be a good d2 player. There is also Beckie and Cordova who are starters in their teams. Best one from this bunch should be Ledgerwood's backup for now.

2 minutes ago, Big_M said:

Dalglish started him at RW last week so shouldn't be talking about him starting at RB in the national team.

That's the only time he's ever played at RW, and even if it wasn't it has literally nothing to do with how good he is as a RB.

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Of course Edward is being hyped up by Dalglish, managers tend to hype up their talent. But really, he shouldn't be anywhere near the national team outside of maybe a camp poutine. And Dalglish considers him a starter for that national team? I could not disagree more.

Don't get me wrong, Edward is a decent NASL / USL level player, but this is the best level he will ever play in his career. He's only in the conversation among some because we have no natural RB's. IMO, he's very good defensively, but he's not great going forward, and makes lots of careless fouls as well. Ledgerwood is a far better option at RB. So is Aird. So is Kadin Chung. So are Ouimette and even Henry for that matter.

Much ado about nothing. Even as an Eddie Edward fan, Dalglish's comments are laughable.

He's not an extraordinary player, but he's very athletic, well-rounded and a consistent performer. Considering the number of people clamouring for various NASL/USL players at any given time, Eddie is certainly worth some consideration I would think.

Doesn't have to do with how good he is there but if he isn't playing there or at least a position that is close such as RM he shouldn't be called for that position, let alone be a starter. In this situation there are others who are starting in their teams at RB and so more ready for that position.

Can't see why he isn't called to the national team at RB. Colin Miller said the same thing too. Don't why he's overlooked when we are so thin there. He's a like running back at RB is the same difference between him and attakora. It's his natural position. Even provided coverage at DM for fced.  he's very athletic, well-rounded and a consistent performer 

Ledgerwood is probably better at rb but if we are playing a team with more athetlic wingers rather have Edward starting over ledge, chung, henry, attarkora

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

Admittedly salaries in USL and likely CPL will not be that great but it does seem to be a strange time to retire at 30 with CPL arriving. Any other information on why he is retiring?

I’ve met Eddie a few times and he’s such a nice guy.  

I don’t have any information but the point you bring up about retiring at 30 actually makes sense.  Like athletes who play minor league baseball, for example, at some point, making $40-50 K a year for another 4-6 years is not going to cut it if you have bigger ambitions in life, such as raising a family.  Maybe that was the choice he made to move on with his next career

3 hours ago, yothat said:

was rock solid in the back. surprised colin miller never vouched for a national team call-up. stand up guy. probably didn't want to re-route his life at 30 and move to a different city.

I believe that Miller did vouch for a call up...but Floro wasn't calling.

Archived