Let's Get Pumped!

Scottie

This is it - a one match showdown with our most hated rivals, for all the marbles! Tuesday's match is without a doubt THE biggest match in my time as a voyageur. Four years ago I would've killed for us to be in this position, instead we were bottom of our group with 2 points and eliminated after 4 matches. I don't know about you guys but I'm stoked! All the talk of scenarios, goal differential, etc is over (thank god, I don't think I can read another hypothetical post without puking). A win or a draw, that's what's needed. We're in the driver's seat here. As for all this talk of us not being able to score goals, well guess who has scored even fewer? Adding to that, Honduras has yet to score a goal against opposition that isn't Cuba.

In other slightly related news, Guatemala defeated Jamaica today, meaning that the yanks and guats can advance at Jamaica's expense with a draw on tuesday! (good news in the JH saga)

I'm pumped. Aren't you? Match is in 90 hours!

Guatemala and the USA can do an "Austria-West Germany '82" and both qualify. Jamaica must be now rueing that draw with Antigua-Barbuda. If I was the USA, I'd rather face Guatemala in the hex than Jamaica. Who knows how many more Englishm...err "Jamaicans" born in UK will declare themselves for the Reggaeboyz. If Guatemala was playing another Central American nation, Jamaica wouldn't even need to show up for last game as it would be a done deal. Are the Americans above such tactics?

They won't overtly do it, but if the game is tied in the second half I'd imagine both teams just pass around a lot and don't really push many people forward. They won't overtly do it but I doubt they risk not going through if both teams are willing to allow time to tick down.

I think with the Americans at home and in the form they're currently in, they are going to be keen to beat Guatemala and do it soundly. Klinsmann is under some heat. I agree with you that if the game is still a draw in the latter stages, self preservation may sink in and they'll both be thinking safety first.

Yeah the Americans are bastions of sporting integrity...they will do it in a heartbeat. And spend more effort telling everyone they didn't than they did on the field.

Would have been interesting though if they didn't get the last minute winner in Antigua.

Yeah it is crazy that it all is gonna come down to Honduras again. It just seems to always be them...

Also I'm not sure if we really can use the "Honduras has only scored against Cuba" argument for us considering we've only scored one goal not against Cuba.

Yeah it is crazy that it all is gonna come down to Honduras again. It just seems to always be them...

Also I'm not sure if we really can use the "Honduras has only scored against Cuba" argument for us considering we've only scored one goal not against Cuba.

All I'm saying is we're more evenly matched than the most pessimistic voyageurs would have you believe. No reason not to get pumped!

We played them pretty tough in San Pedro Sula in 2004. Got a result, should have won. Hutchison scored. A number of current players on that team.

October 9, 2004 – CONCACAF Semi-Final Round World Cup Qualifier

Estadio Olimpico – San Pedro Sula, Honduras

Attendance: 45,000

Goals: Canada – Atiba Hutchinson (71), Honduras – Dilano Turcios (91)

Canada: Pat Onstad, Ante Jazic, Mark Watson, Jason deVos, Atiba Hutchinson, Dwayne de Rosario, Daniel Imhof, Sandro Grande (Patrice Bernier, 80), Julian de Guzman (Olivier Occean, 70), Iain Hume (Josh Simpson, 65), Tomasz Radzinski. Head Coach: Frank Yallop

I can't see the American's doing that. Landon Donovan isn't playing but they're still going to roll out Dempsey, Gomez & Johnson. I can't see them not playing to win the game and also not winning the game.

Oh contrare, I can see them playing to win and not winning. They just almost tied A&B; they got scalped by Jamaica in Kingston; and they aren't as above the grade in CONCACAF as they like to pretend they are. A loss at home is unlikely, but could be disastrous. I"m sure as hell not going to be gasping in disbelief when they play to a boring draw next Tuesday.

Pumped? We are at 10 points with one game to go in the round to determine who goes to the HEX. We are a draw or better away from making the final six for the first time in what feels like forever!! Pumped? Damn right I'm pumped. Shame about the time it is on especially out west here.

I completly agree Villus get the first goal and honduras will have a tougher time it is crucial that we score first !!!!!!! but for that to have any chance of occuring Rickets or jackson cannot be the strikers. So who do we start hume and then sub on cavalini ?

We can do this, come on Canada!! Honduras have scored against Cuba and thats it, and we have conceded in one game away to Panama, those facts don't scream out a win for Honduras, if we can get one goal down there I don't see us ever losing.

I totally think we start Hume. This game will be won on desire, and nobody has it more than Hume.

I have no worries about our team's desire. If we get the result in Honduras I think it will come down to discipline and organization that has led us here more than boundless energy and "wanting it more".

Archived